Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Half Dome Cables

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

April 30, 2002 06:23PM
The Half Dome cables are schedule to be put up on May 17th. Conditions permitting of course.
May 02, 2003 06:30PM
<HTML>I am planning to visit Yosemite May 20 through May 23 and was hoping to climb Half Dome. I was encouraged by your post that the cables would be put up on May 17. I would greatly appreciate any additional information on the cable situation if you have it prior to May 9th.

I have never climbed Half Dome and would appreciate knowing where the last place to filter water is on the trail up to Half Dome. I plan to take my 70 oz. Camel Bak.

Thank You</HTML>
May 03, 2003 06:23AM
<HTML>That date was for 2002. We've had a lot of late snow this year so it's too early to tell if they'll be up for your trip.</HTML>

May 03, 2003 09:34AM
<HTML>Well, in Little Yosemite Valley you're walking close to the Merced - no shortage of water there.

Supposedly there is a spring on a spur trail about two miles after you climb out of Little Yosemite, but I've walked past it every time and never actually seen it. In May for one person, 70 oz should be more than fine from Little Yosemite and back again. I generally carry about that for the whole hike.

John

P.S. Jeffrey Schaffer has a good comprehensive guide to Yosemite Hikes "Yosemite National Park: A Natural History Guide to Yosemite and its Trails" that I would heartily recommend. Lots of interesting extra detail, esp regarding geology of the area.</HTML>
May 04, 2003 01:13PM
<HTML>I am also planning on making a Half Dome attempt during Memorial Day week, but with all this late snow I'm starting to think about alternatives. Right now my alternate plan is to hike the Mist Trail to the Panorama Trail to Glacier Point, and then down the Four Mile Trail. It is also rather ambitious (13.1 miles ~4000 total vertical gain), but if the Glacier Pt. road is closed, I've heard a 'quiet' Glacier Point is about the best place to be in the park (especially for newbies like myself). Options or Opinions?

craig</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login