Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (88% of Full)

Rocketlawyer.com

Advanced

Re: Bird Ridge Hike

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Bird Ridge Hike
April 14, 2012 10:32PM
Bird Ridge is 20 minutes south of Anchorage. The hike is a 6 mile round trip hike with a 3,500 foot elevation gain.

Almost the entire route was covered in deep snow with patches of scree.

The beginning of the hike was gorgeous and sunny but soon turned very windy as we gained elevation. Later clouds rolled in and it became overcast.

On the way down there were stretches of steep post holing time snow where it was easier to just slide down. Near the summit there were cornices but it was possible to avoid getting to close.

A few pictures below and a link to more:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3207360702041.2137545.1206884965&type=1&l=559ed09272

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/maps/birdridgetrailguide.pdf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2012 01:10PM by chicagocwright.
April 17, 2012 07:42AM
Nice. Tanks for Sharon.

You need to be careful waving your hands on the top o da mountain with a dog also there.
Dog: "Dood, seriously. I may be man's best friend... so... a little under arm deodorant next time... please"
Dog: "Guys! The guy aint looking... should I do it?" (lifts leg then laughs)
Dog: "Um... hello... I was here first... so put your arms down."

Love them.
More please

Chick-on is looking at you!
April 17, 2012 08:13AM
No kidding. I realize the pictures I posted above don't show any earlier in the hike where I was down to one layer, a sweaty mess, and considering going shirtless (one guy in our group did). The wind picked up especially near the cornices I posted pictures of in the link. Strangely enough, at the summit, the wind died back down.

The summer picture posted in the link above make the peak look scarier and more exposed then it felt with all the snow.

I said this before but those dogs are awesome. I suppose I'll post Alaska pictures all Summer long. If nothing else, it provides a quick and easy way for me to pull them up on my phone. I still have my Clouds Rest/Half Dome thread bookmarked on my phone.
April 17, 2012 08:26AM
Please do.

btw... I especially like photo #1 and #25.

#1 is super kewl.. a) butterfly b) it's like he's pointing "um... it's this way" and the peeps are looking that-a-way
#25 --- ah...

Chick-on is looking at you!
April 17, 2012 08:37AM
I'm almost certain that is not a butterfly but I can't figure out what it is. It is funny you noticed it. I've zoomed in and rotated and guess I just have a general disbelief that it could be a butterfly. My conclusion was a wood chip or leaf falling from a tree.

I have not seen anything smaller than a bird flying around yet. Although I hear the mosquitoes are legendary. And we did see two bald eagles on the hike but I was so amazed and in awe I forgot to get my camera out! It is actually the second time that has happened on different hikes. The locals get a kick about how excited I get when we see an eagle.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login