All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Lazy Mountain Hike
April 22, 2012 03:24AM
Lazy Mountain is in Palmer, Alaska in the Matsu Valley about an hour north of Anchorage.

Lazy Mountain connects right to a much longer hike up Matanuska Peak (roughly 13 miles). This hike was about 5 miles roundtrip with a 3,000 foot elevation gain. Unfortunately, clouds rolled in which limited views somewhat of Hatcher Pass and the Talkeetna Range to the North and potentially even Mt. McKinley,

The conditions were extremely tough. Very post holey. I'll include a picture below where a woman got stuck for several minutes. The snow concretes itself around a sunk leg and foot. I'll also include the picture of me stuck trying to help her.

I remain amazed at these hikes that are now so close to me when I used to have to plan a full vacation with airplane flights, etc. to do this type of hiking. Amazing stuff.

Lazy Mountain Hike Album

MeetUp Group Pictures

Matanuska Peak is the tall peak that would have been an extra 10 miles and VERY difficult in these post hole conditions. We hiked Lazy Mountain which is the peak on the left (if you count every peak it is the third from the left)

Picture is taken from Downtown Palmer Fred Meyer parking lot. Lazy Mountain is on the left, Matanuska is middle of picture.

Another peak, Pioneer Peak that is a little bit easier than Matanuska:

And Snickers, the Dog!
Re: Lazy Mountain Hike
April 22, 2012 03:31AM
Here are the postholing pictures:

April 22, 2012 08:37AM
Nice mountains. It looks like you have found a group of friends to hike with. Hope your adjustment to a new place is going well.
April 22, 2012 03:18PM
parklover
Nice mountains. It looks like you have found a group of friends to hike with. Hope your adjustment to a new place is going well.

Thank you much. Everything good so far but will be much better when my family gets here. Closing on a house purchase this week!...with views of the Chugach of course.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login