All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Wolverine Peak
May 03, 2012 11:51PM
Hike coming up Saturday. Looks like 12 miles and 4,200 ft. of elevation gain. Pictures to come...

Hike Description
Re: Wolverine Peak
May 06, 2012 03:26AM
I love the map above and this hike was great--and long. It took us 8 hours to complete the 13/14 miles (distance above doesn't include the long run out to the trailhead parking lot.) The day was overcast and we even got some snow during the day. The snow was mostly stable but their was some sketchy parts requiring katoolahs but an ice axe would have been nice to have---mine was in the car.

On this hike we hit three peaks: Near Point, Wolverine, and Rusty Point. On the third peak we ran into the Dall Sheep. At a distance we saw over 20 and we saw a group of 5-6 duck behind some rocks. I hiked up quietly and ended up right on top of them. The group spooked a little but ran toward the large group of hikers and reversed course when they saw that group. It was then the sheep were only 20 or so feet away. Cool stuff.

MeetUp Group Trip and Full Set of Pictures
Wolverine Peak Trail Guide

Downtown Anchorage:

From Near Point looking at Wolverine Peak:

Looking toward Flattop Mountain:

Lone Man on Wolverine Peak:

On our way from Wolverine Peak to Rusty Point:

Rusty Point near the Sheep:

May 06, 2012 02:57PM
Thanks for the trip report and the photos.

BTW, what was the temperature(s) that day on your hike?
Re: Wolverine Peak
May 06, 2012 04:53PM
At the base it was 40-45 but it snowed at the higher elevation for much of the day.

And I just realized this afternoon that I have a view of Wolverine Peak from my bedroom window.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login