All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

August 12, 2008 10:30AM
A new fire was detected Monday afternoon near the top of the Snow Creek Trail. The Arch Fire is currently about 6 acres and is being suppressed, partly because of it's proximity to the historic Snow Creek Cabin. The cabin is not currently threatened. Two helicopters and two air tankers are being used to the suppress the fire along with Yosemite Crews 6 and 7 and the Groveland Hotshots. The cause of the fire is being investigated.

August 13, 2008 03:49PM
Any update? I'm assuming the squashed this pretty quick.
Planning on going near this area this weekend...
August 13, 2008 03:54PM
That was the only time it was mentioned. So I'd assume the fire was small and quickly handled. It never showed on MODIS at all.

August 13, 2008 03:57PM
Found something:

August 12, 2008

There is ONE fire burning in Yosemite National Park.

The Arch Fire was reported on the afternoon of Monday, August 11 and is burning near the top of the Snow Creek Trail near Yosemite Valley's north rim.

The fire is about 6 acres and is being suppressed. Visitors may see aircraft which are participating in the suppression effort along with Yosemite Crews 6 and 7 and the Groveland Hotshots from the Stanislaus National Forest. The cause of the fire is being investigated.

There are no closures associated with the fire.

Re: New Fire
August 16, 2008 07:35AM

I just returned from a 5 day stay in the valley last night. There were fliers posted at the Mirror Lake trail head stating that the Snow Creek Trail was closed due to fire danger. One of the two fliers was still posted Friday morning.

It was confusing to some, because many people don't know where the Snow Creek Trail starts and the Mirror Lake trail ends.

BTW: It was the first time I've visited the park and witnessed a completely dry Yosemite Falls.

August 16, 2008 11:25AM
Not completely dry...there is mold growing on it
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login