Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (56% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Home, Ohlone

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Home, Ohlone
May 08, 2012 07:22PM
So, what do we local Yosemite/Sierra nuts do when we can't make it to the *real* mountains for the weekend getaway? Sometimes, we just have to be content to stroll around our regional parks... which this weekend meant a 28 mile day hike along the Ohlone - Sunol trail from Del Valle (south of Livermore) to the Mission Peak staging area (near Fremont). This trail has some single-track sections, but mostly follows old fire/ranch roads that meander--sometimes steeply (7600' elevation gain)--through the East Bay hills, connecting several regional parks, two of which are managed in a wilderness-like manner. The trip took us about 13 hours, but the regional park district maintains several backcountry campgrounds for whose who want to do the trip in multiple days.

We encountered only a dozen or so hikers and runners outside of the normal "day use" areas near the "Little Yosemite"/Sunol area and the Mission Peak corridor, which was unusually crowded, presumably with people who wanted to witness the rising of the weekend's "supermoon" from the summit.

Next weekend, back to the real mountains!

More Pictures

More Information
May 08, 2012 07:29PM
From Sunol Park, Sunday (flag hill trail):

I was significantly less ambitious than you, I did the normal day hike thing in the morning then went wine tasting.
May 08, 2012 07:32PM
I had to settle for Mt. San Jacinto last weekend. It hits of the Sierra but isn't quite the same (and is very small in comparison).

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/misc/cmcr-dsc_3228.jpg.html
May 09, 2012 12:27PM
eeek
I had to settle for Mt. San Jacinto last weekend.

Thinking about heading up to Idyllwild for the first time this weekend.
Any suggestions on a good half-day or so hike?
A good moderate to moderately strenuous one or two would be great.
Thanks.
May 09, 2012 12:36PM
LBFam
eeek

Thanks.

For a half-day go to Wellman Divide and circle back on the Round Valley loop on the way back.

If you want longer, do the peak.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2012 12:38PM by eeek.
May 09, 2012 01:02PM
eeek
LBFam
eeek

Thanks.

For a half-day go to Wellman Divide and circle back on the Round Valley loop on the way back.

What is the starting point? The tramway?
May 09, 2012 01:13PM
LBFam
eeek
LBFam
eeek

Thanks.

What is the starting point? The tramway?

Yes, the tram station.
May 09, 2012 01:23PM
What about out of Idyllwild? Any suggestions from there?
May 09, 2012 01:28PM
LBFam

The Devils Slide trail is the best there. But there is a day hiker quota so pick up your permit early. From the saddle you do easily do Tahquitz Peak.

You can also hike from the tram station to Idyllwild (two routes, both good) if you have someone to pick you up.

Map

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2012 01:29PM by eeek.
May 10, 2012 08:42AM
eeek
LBFam

The Devils Slide trail is the best there. But there is a day hiker quota so pick up your permit early. From the saddle you do easily do Tahquitz Peak.

You can also hike from the tram station to Idyllwild (two routes, both good) if you have someone to pick you up.

Map

Great, thanks!
May 08, 2012 07:32PM
Very nice with all of the green grass, the oaks and the flowers and the Stellar Jay. We took the dogs for a stroll around the lake and on a short trail at Franklin Canyon Park in the Santa Monica Mountains.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2012 07:35PM by parklover.
May 08, 2012 07:58PM
With gas prices where they are, I have to put up with Tilden. However, I haven't really had much of a chance to do any distance hiking since my kid was born. Our hikes now are from the parking lot to the steam trains, from the parking lot to the merry-go-round, and from the parking lot to the Little Farm.
May 08, 2012 09:35PM
y_p_w

However, I haven't really had much of a chance to do any distance hiking since my kid was born. Our hikes now are from the parking lot to the steam trains, from the parking lot to the merry-go-round, and from the parking lot to the Little Farm.

Have you thought about purchasing one of these for longer hikes?

Amazon.com: Deuter KangaKid

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login