Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (85% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

Re: High Sierra Camp supplies

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar High Sierra Camp supplies
August 24, 2008 01:40AM
In the trail book "Hiking Yosemite National Park" there are references to emergency supplies and snacks available at places like Glen Aulin, Sunrise, Merced Lake and Vogelsang at posted hours. I am unable to find any link to what these posted hours may be from any Yosemite website. Anybody know? Thanks.

Jim

avatar Re: High Sierra Camp supplies
August 24, 2008 01:46AM
Don't count on anything other than a glass of lemonade or perhaps a bandaid. There places are not stocked for passersby. Well there may be a few other things but nothing I would call supplies of even food.

You may be able to eat dinner a HSC if they have a no-show or two but it will cost perhaps more than ten dollars but less than twenty.

Old Dude
August 24, 2008 01:52AM
Mike,

Actually, I would hope to plan my pack well enough not to have to rely on any extras at all. I thought I might take advantage of additional snacks if available (if I was feeling food greedy) but perhaps this would be a good time to trim the old waistline.

Jim

August 24, 2008 01:31PM
When I hike the High Sierra Loop last year, the hours varied, they opened in the morning at about 7:00 and then would close up after breakfast and reopen around 4:00 in the afternoon. Most had an assortment of toiletries, candy, and other snacks. Most also had T shirts.

Jennifer
http://www.sponsorhouse.com/Members/JenniferWilliams/Default.aspx
September 09, 2008 12:20PM
They are usually open from 1-5pm and the stores carry:

maps, candy, insect repellent, flashlights/headlights, emergency ponchos, sleep sacks, first aid supplies, peptobismol, razors, foot powder, Sunscreen, vasoline, peanuts, bandannas, water purification tablets, water bottles, aspirin, acetominophen, t-shirts
November 06, 2008 09:40PM
Older thread, I know .. but was just reading and thought I would add this:

A couple of times. late in the season when I was in the Glen Aulin vicinity, (heading up Cold canyon and beyond), the friendly kitchen staff there invited me to participate in some of their meals ... practically for free.

They had too many provisions ...

Problem was (you can probably guess what's coming); I ended up declining both times, because I had my own backpacking food so carefully metered out .. not to mention the weight of carrying my own food, which I welcomed every chance I had to shave bits of it away every day ... (I usually go out for 6-8 days)

But you just can't plan on something like that ... and geez, their meals looked totally wonderful.

One day, I promise I will do some/all of the standard "full-service" HSC circuit ... maybe when I have family along ... and get to finally enjoy those meals!

Very friendly knowledgeable crews and rangers - the best!

Michael
Anvanho
November 07, 2008 01:11AM
Anvanho wrote:

> One day, I promise I will do some/all of the standard
> "full-service" HSC circuit ...

I just can't see sleeping in their dorm settings. Snoring and me being able to sleep just don't go together.

November 07, 2008 02:32PM
eeek,

I agree. My planned trip in July includes a total of 5 overnights on 3 different trailheads. Two of those nights are in the Glen Aulin area but far enough away to avoid the noisy bunch and bears (I hope). I'm thinking of just north of McGee Lake and just north of Glen Aulin on the Pacific Crest trail near Conness Creek. Another night is near Sunrise but actually a little ways down the canyon towards Merced Lake next to Cathedral Fork. Some folks refer to this as Dolly Parton Canyon? I should be exhausted enough to sleep through an earthquake but not taking any chances being near small crowds.

I've also decided I can do without Sierra Camp supplies; will have everything I need in the cannister. Of course, I may use their composting toliets while passing through. Hi, I'm just here to take a c-----! Thanks, you all have a nice day now.

Jim

November 07, 2008 03:43PM
tomdisco wrote:

> Of course, I may use
> their composting toliets while passing through. Hi, I'm just
> here to take a c-----! Thanks, you all have a nice day now.

There is something about having a seat...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login