All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Ancient Tree-Ring Records from Southwest U.S. Suggest Today's Megafires Are Truly Unusual
May 16, 2012 05:30PM
ScienceDaily (May 16, 2012) — Today's mega forest fires of the southwestern U.S. are truly unusual and exceptional in the long-term record, suggests a new study that examined hundreds of years of ancient tree ring and fire data from two distinct climate periods. Researchers constructed and analyzed a statistical model that encompassed 1,500 years of climate and fire patterns to test, in part, whether today's dry, hot climate alone is causing the megafires that routinely destroy millions of acres of forest, according to study co-author and fire anthropologist Christopher I. Roos, Southern Methodist University, Dallas.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/05/120516120304.htm
I thought this was figured out in the 70s and that is why we have prescribed burns. Old news to me anyway.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login