Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (83% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

Re: Bristlecones and Grandview campground

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Bristlecones and Grandview campground
May 18, 2012 06:48AM
Has anyone stayed in the Grandview campground in the White Mountains? I did, once, a long time ago in a small trailer, but I didn't spend much time there. Some friends and I are going for 3 nights in July to photograph the trees and the Milky Way at night. Looking for site suggestions and any other tips for this campground.

Thanks!
avatar Re: Bristlecones and Grandview campground
May 18, 2012 09:44AM
I have been there a couple of times recently, most recently last summer for the exact reason that you are going. Since you are going to shoot the Milky Way I assume that you are there at or near the new moon, as I was, and the astronomers tend to go there at that time as well and a lot of the campsites were occupied with those folks, but I was able to get a spot. And if the campground proper does happen to be full, the jeep roads that head west from the camground had plenty of (I assume legal) spots for dispersed camping with no amenities other than an amazing view.

You prob know that there are lots of Utah Juniper at the campground but you have to drive a ways to get to the Bristlecones. Anywhere from maybe 20 minutes to over an hour, depending on your grove of choice. I had checked in at the temporary visitor's center, and noticed signs all over the place indicating "No Overnight Camping" within the boundaries of the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest. So I ask the Ranger...um...I am going to be out there all night, shooting the trees and the milky way...whats the difference between "camping" and just hanging out there all night? To which he replied..."Well, I am not going to be there checking on you!"

So I would do it again any time, and I think they see a lot of us types out there at night... just be sensible about being out there overnight...strive for less than minimal impact..I did have dinner there, slept, and had fun when my alarm went off at 2 AM...wish I had some help as it seems you will...and as da bird would say...no fire rings!

May 18, 2012 10:12AM
Thanks. We plan to arrive on a Thurs. in the early evening. Hopefully there will be spots. It is not exactly the new moon, but a sliver of moon will be rising around 2 am and if I did my research right, the Milky way should rise 2-3 hours sooner. That is a really great shot, btw, what grove is that and when and what time of night did you shoot that?
May 18, 2012 11:33AM
Hmmm.... what grove? I spent a day driving around and checking out trees that were not far from the road so that I could be "not camping" near the car, so that particular tree was not in one of the formal groves...just a random tree by the roadside. Just checked google earth and if I recall correctly that tree is at about 37 26' 20.4" N 118 11' 39.3"W The shot was taken about 2 in the morning, I was up from about 2 to 3 as I recall, and the rest of the time sleeping (but not camping) wink
May 18, 2012 12:55PM
I am hoping for the milky way to be rising before midnight. When we were in Yosemite last summer mid July, it rose about 11 as pointed out to us by the ranger who was leading the night sky tour.
May 18, 2012 01:16PM
Have a great time...you are smart to have three nights there! Enjoy!
July 30, 2012 07:55PM
Well, I am back. We arrived at the campground on Thurs around 4 and there were maybe 6 other sites occupied. Friday a few left and a few came, but it didn't fill as I expected it to. It was a no moon night, so the star gazing was incredible. After two days and nights, my buddy was bored with the area, so we packed up Sat at 7 am and headed to Sedona. Yes, AZ, 500 miles away.

Anyway, the campground at Grandview is very nice, with pretty decent pit toilets scattered around. Sites are mostly level with tables and fire pits. Well worth the trip.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login