Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (56% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

Re: Recommendations for hiking poles?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Recommendations for hiking poles?
June 04, 2012 01:53PM
I'm more or less satisfied with my current hiking poles (EMS Mountaineer AS Lite) but they're rather long & awkward to carry on my Camelback on hikes on those occasions when I get in to a hike and decide I don't need them (or don't need them for "the next stretch"winking smiley. Also, they have the usual "twist-to-tighten" mechanism which is not always reliable (I've never had one collapse on me but they do occasionally get slightly (but noticeably) shorter if I'm putting a lot of weight on them). I'm thinking of upgrading to something with a quick-release locking system (which are at least SUPPOSED to be more secure) and which will fold down to no more than about 22 or 23 inches (for use, I never set them much higher than 44 or 45 inches)). Don't need exotic materials to minimize the weight but it would be nice to keep it below 16 or 17 ounces.

Anyone have any specific suggestions to meet those criteria?
avatar Re: Recommendations for hiking poles?
June 05, 2012 10:51PM
Sorry, but I don't.

I have two set of trekking polls. A nice pair of Leki's and a very inexpensive yet functional set from Wilcor Outdoors (that I bought in Lee Vining when I once forgot to pack my Leki's). Both are ""twist-to-tighten" yet they usually hold their length quite well. Both sets are light enough that I just usually hold and carry them in one hand when I'm not using them on my hike. Never felt the need to attach them to my backpack when I wasn't using them.
June 06, 2012 01:57PM
I use some older BD flicklocks which have served me well. I've been hearing some good things about these:
http://www.rei.com/product/813390/black-diamond-distance-z-pole-trekking-poles-pair
They meet and exceed your specifications. They also have a carbon-fibre version which is lighter (and more expensive) and an adjustable version which will set you back a few more ounces.
June 06, 2012 05:19PM
I replaced my Leki twist to locks with a Leki Makalu Ultralight with Speed Locks and have been very happy with them. I have arthritic hands so I have trouble with the twist to locks. They also collapse down to less than 27 inches. My only issue is that they do not have the anti shock function like my old ones did but I had to give up something for lightness and collapsibility.
June 06, 2012 06:11PM
Prob. not much help but I'll just mention that the one piece of equipment that has stayed constant for over
15 years now are my reliable and trusty Leki Makalu Hike-on Poles. Anti-shock, Twist Lock, Cork Handle.
I've replaced the carbide tip many many times... and Leki sent me new bottom sections when my
abuse of them cause them to start to get loose. They get abused so much the once gold bottom
sections are now silver. It's one piece of equipment I just don't see "upgrading" until I somehow lose them.
They are guaranteed for life.

I haven't had much problem with them coming lose. Although nowadays I just leave the bottom section fixed open.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy the snap locks. I would NOT buy carbon. I would NOT buy the positive angle handles.
I WOULD only buy cork handles. I WOULD only buy a pole with Anit-Shock.

I'd save the cash to buy me a beer and steak at WW HSC. And keep using the poles you have.

That's my 2 dollars worth. Have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
September 27, 2015 02:11PM
chick-on
... and Leki sent me new bottom sections when my abuse of them cause them to start to get loose. They get abused so much the once gold bottom
sections are now silver. It's one piece of equipment I just don't see "upgrading" until I somehow lose them. They are guaranteed for life.

I haven't had much problem with them coming lose. Although nowadays I just leave the bottom section fixed open.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy the snap locks. I would NOT buy carbon. I would NOT buy the positive angle handles.
I WOULD only buy cork handles. I WOULD only buy a pole with Anit-Shock.

I've had my Lekis for about four years and (maybe) 800 miles now. Overall I've been very happy with them but now one of the anti-shocks (a pressurized gas cartridge, I suspect) has lost all its pressure. The anti-shock seems to be built into the bottom section with no way to replace it separately from the section. What can anyone tell me about repairs and replacement parts?

REI says they don't deal in pole parts except for the little stuff like rubber caps, carbide tips, and snow baskets. I found some places in the UK that sell pole sections but at least one of them makes it clear that they don't ship internationally (I'm in the US). I didn't see anyone in the US, including Leki, advertising parts or repairs for Leki poles. Leki says in the little folder that came with my poles, "Worldwide Lifetime Warranty on defective materials and product. Warranty parts are available for up to 10 years after product is manufactured." However, their website now seems to be saying that the warranty covers only "shaft breakage" and they make no mention of other repairs or replacement parts. I've emailed them an inquiry but it's too soon to expect a reply.

Btw, my poles are "hybrid" with one twist lock and one flip lock each. I extend the twist-lock section to its maximum length, lock it there, and check it every few miles to make sure it's still tight. I do vary the length of the flip-lock section according to the terrain -- "normal" length for level or uphill, much longer for downhill. A few months ago I noticed one of my flip-locks slipping a little so I tightened the tension nuts on both. I've never tried poles without an anti-shock feature but I suspect I'd miss it if I had to give it up. The pole with the failed anti-shock does feels a little odd to me. I can't tell if it's actually affecting my performance, but my hand on that side started getting sore and asking for a glove while the other one was still happy.

I usually take YARTS in and out of Yosemite. I walk to the bus stop using my poles; collapse them and strap them to my pack for the actual ride; extend them when I'm ready to start walking; and collapse them again for my next bus ride. I've occasionally met people halfway up the Four Mile Trail with poles strapped to their packs. I wondered why they'd carry them all that way if they weren't even going to use them.
June 06, 2012 10:19PM
I have Gossamer Gear Lightreks. Have had them for a few years now and thoroughly abused them, they are still going strong and I rarely go without them - only on search and rescue when the poles spend time attached to the pack, when I take some aluminum Eastons that collapse shorter.

Will not go back to heavier poles in a zillion years. These are my shelter poles and have seen a lot of miles and creek crossings.
June 07, 2012 09:35AM
I thought you said you only slept in a hammock...
?

Chick-on is looking at you!
June 07, 2012 05:05PM
chick-on
I thought you said you only slept in a hammock...
?

I love to sleep in my hammock!

But I also love to go above 11,000 feet.

So I have a tarptent. The only way I sleep in a tent willingly is to have a tent that is much, much lighter than the hammock, and therefore easier to carry up tall mountains.
June 17, 2012 11:04AM
AlmostThere
But I also love to go above 11,000 feet.

So I have a tarptent.

Huh. I gave up with tarptents after realizing most of my camping was done on solid rock. It is rare for me to camp on dirt that is deep enough to give purchase to a tentstake, or anywhere near trees. So it got old spending 45 minutes moving rocks around and running guylines (my wife calls them tripwires) all over the campsite. If I really focused on it, I probably could have got better with the tarptent setup, but I'm lazy and don't mind carrying some weight, so I reverted back to a more traditional walls+pole tent.

Even if there are no bugs and no threat of rain, I still like to pitch my tent and have my own little cleanroom-out-in-nature. It allows me to relax without ruffling up my OCD too much. My hiking buddy teases me endlessly for it as he lays out under the stars. Except when the mosquitoes are so bad that you have to spend the entire trip hiding in a tent reading, in which case I usually let him in after making him compliment me on my awesome tent (and doing the Mosquito Dance for a few minutes for my entertainment). I love my tent.
September 30, 2015 09:03AM
I would recommend any trekking poles with cork handles. They make for a very comfortable experience, especially on long distance hikes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login