All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

The Ursack Minor food bag is no match for a bear
June 13, 2012 10:58PM
http://mexicotocanada.com/2012/06/09/day-46-51-farewell-desert-hello-bear/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2012 11:01PM by KenS.
Re: The Ursack Minor food bag is no match for a bear
June 14, 2012 11:46AM
Sigh, more antisocial idiots teaching a bear that humans = food. sad smiley
June 17, 2012 10:45AM
Royalist
Sigh, more antisocial idiots teaching a bear that humans = food. sad smiley

Oh, were they supposed to have a bear can where they camped ("Fox Mill Spring" ) ? From what I read, it sounds like they did pretty much exactly what I would have done (except hiking 18 freaking miles at 2AM in the morning!) I'm a little antisocial but I hope I'm not an idiot!

But yeah, that Ursack Minor took a smackdown. The website says it's not intended for bears. I have an older greenish Ursack (which *is* supposed to be bearproof), which I bring with me to areas that don't require a bear can, yet tend to have bear activity. In all of my camping, I have never had any midnight encounters with bears. While I would like to attribute this to my mad anti-bear storage skillz, more probably it's just luck; I have seen plenty of bears, but always during the day. At Mineral King Ranger Station a month ago, I saw pictures of someone holding an Ursack that a black bear had demolished; I assume it's one of the "bear-proof" Ursacks and they were trying to justify their bear can requirement.

Anyway if those guys were supposed to have a bearcan, and they had that dippy little white bag instead, they should have know better. But if they just had bad luck, I don't see how they did anything wrong, other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time. "No way dude, you put our food in the weed bag last night? Buummmmer!!!!"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2012 10:47AM by jishaq.
June 18, 2012 02:05AM
When I read this on their blog

"We were very uncomfortable with the bear’s AGGRESSIVE behavior..."

I immediately put them in the idiot category. How rude of the bear to interfere with their business.

I really don't like these kind of people. They think they are cool...PCT hikers and stuff...but they are not. I'm glad they didn't get hurt but these are exactly the kind of people I hope not to meet on any kind of trail in the world.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login