Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

Re: TM backpacker's supplies

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

September 14, 2008 10:17AM
Somebody (Mike?) said much of what a backpacker may need for supplies is available at the store at TM. Do they have an acceptable selection of pre-packaged meals similar to what one might find at REI or Outdoor Provisions?

Does Bells Sporting Goods in Lee Vining sell these or is that just a tackle shop? Anyplace else recommended in Lee Vining? Thanks.

Jim

avatar Re: TM backpacker's supplies
September 14, 2008 11:15AM
I for sure saw those Mountain House meals there when I've been there
(there being the TM store) this year. Although you may come out of
the store w/o your arm or leg if you need more than a couple.

This is a major resupply pt. for PCT hikers so the store is WELL stocked.

Post Edited (09-14-08 18:16)

Everything I know I learned from Chick-on is looking at you!
September 18, 2008 04:15AM
I'm sure but not positive about the availability of stuff in Lee Vining. Lots of people come to the area with no supplies and Lee Vining is a major starting point for treks into Yosemite.

Old Dude
September 18, 2008 10:20AM
I contacted the Lee Vining Chamber of Commerce. The prepackaged meals are available at Mono Market and gas cylinders are sold at Bell's Sporting Goods.

Jim

September 18, 2008 02:33PM

Not sure why you are not bringing food or supplies, but on alternative option is to ship to yourself at the post office in Tuolumne Meadows (located near the store). Speaking to the postal worker, I was told to address box:
<Your Name> General Delivery, Tuolumne Meadows, California 95389.
I don't know how long they will keep packages

other info is available at:
http://www.backpacker.com/may_2008_feature_destinations_california_sierra_high_route/destinations/12396?page=9

Backpacker May 2008

FF

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
September 18, 2008 09:26PM
Frank,

I will be flying into Reno and can not bring propane canisters on an airplane.

Also, my overnight pack hikes will be alternated with overnights in Lee Vining. If I bring all my food with me I will not have a motel every night to store the extra food for subsequent hikes. I have no experience with communal bear boxes and do not feel comfortable leaving expensive food where it could be stolen or lost to bears because somebody else failed to secure it properly.

I think most people hiking Yosemite drive their from nearby states for basically on area of hiking and then go home. I'm flying cross country and trying to squease as much quality time as I can into 9 days at the park. Buying what I need in Lee Vining prior to each overnight hike will work out best for me.

September 19, 2008 12:31AM

Regarding the bear boxes, I have been repeatedly amazed and my faith in humans bolstered by my experiences with leaving food and equipment in bear boxes at backcountry trailheads in the park, even those that are fairly busy. It is strangely old-fashioned, but I haven’t experienced any problems like:
1. boxes left open
2. locks on boxes containing my equipment
3. theft of equipment
I am sure that occasionally mischievous loss or even unintentional use of personal items occurs, but I haven’t had that experience.

It does take some time to travel back and forth to Lee Vinning. Have you considered staying at TM or WhiteWolf? The tent cabins probably approximate the cost of a motel in Lee Vinning. Also, there is a small "lodge" just east of Tioga Pass (Tioga Pass Resort?) that may have civilized, though expensive, amenities. Tripadvisor.com often has useful information.
FF

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
September 19, 2008 05:08AM
Frank,

Good to hear you have had such great luck with the bear boxes. It's reastores my confidence a bit. Anybody else wish to chime in on the subject of trailhead bear box experiences?

As for Lee Vining, I don't mind the drive to TM; will be leaving early for the overnight hikes. Besides, I need an occasional night of best sleep possible plus the creature comforts of my own private hot shower and a few good meals cooked by somebody else.

Jim

September 19, 2008 12:46PM
tomdisco wrote:

> Anybody else wish to chime
> in on the subject of trailhead bear box experiences?

Thoroughly agree with Frank. It is extremely unlikely that you would have any problem. In all the years that I have been leaving food in the trailhead bear boxes while backpacking, there was only one instance where it "evaporated." This was at the Dog Lake parking area, late in the hiking year (mid-October), and I had not put any sort of label/identification on the plastic grocery bag; my supposition is that the Bear Box Cops probably came through and cleaned things out while I was in the backcountry.

By the way, does anyone remember what year the NPS started installing the storage lockers at the high country trailheads? I'm thinking early '80s, but can't specifically focus on a trip/event where I remember them appearing. I'm guessing that they probably were introduced in the valley and high country campgrounds several years prior to their trailhead appearance, but the last time that I stayed in one of those was Camp 4 back around 1972.

Post Edited (09-19-08 19:56)

THE YOSEMITE POST
Voice of the Rocky Marmot Empire
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login