Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (80% of Full)

Advanced

Huge leap in the number of rattlesnake bites across California this spring

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Huge leap in the number of rattlesnake bites across California this spring
July 12, 2012 05:17PM
California numbers are up 48 percent over last year.

Only halfway through the biting season, rattlesnakes may be closing in on a record.

Bites were up 48 percent in the spring. From April through June, 184 rattler bites were reported to the state Poison Control System. During that same period last year, there were 124.

"We have a significant increase in cases this year," said Stuart Heard, executive director for Poison Control. He suggests that weather and environment may be a factor.

A wet 2011 winter created good conditions for snake survival; this year's drier-than-average winter may have pushed them to travel farther for food and water...”

Contra Costa Times: Huge leap in rattlesnake bites across California this year

avatar Re: Huge leap in the number of rattlesnake bites across California this spring
July 12, 2012 07:02PM
Ah, something I forgot to mention from my Jack Main trip!

Wednesday (7/4), just past Beehive, I heard a rattler that had been hiding in the green brush right beside the trail. I jumped well away then looked back wondering if I could get a picture, but he was hard to see admist the brush.

No rattler surprises on the way back.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login