All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Fires?
September 15, 2008 03:29AM
Does anyone know of any fires around Yosemite? When I looked at the webcams this morning, it looked like smoke. I checked the Mammoth Lakes morning report and Snowman showed a panorama video shot with what he said "was haze from fires on the westside of the Sierras.
September 15, 2008 09:52AM
I didn't mean to offend anyone. I am a long time birder and the question piqued my interest.

I sent the photo to my buddy Chris who is the California Condor Reintroduction Project Director. His office is currently in Morman Lake, AZ. and he is an expert in this field. Are there any other photos of the bird?

I only asked if he could identify this bird without any leading suggestions.

Here is his response.

"Positively turkey vulture. The key in this case is the dark underwing area followed by a lighter color. Look at the attached image and you will see that with a condor it is exactly the opposite, light underwing followed by dark.

Cheers,

Chris"

September 15, 2008 09:53AM
I didn't mean to offend anyone. I am a long time birder and the question piqued my interest.

I sent the photo to my buddy Chris who is the California Condor Reintroduction Project Director. His office is currently in Morman Lake, AZ. and he is an expert in this field. Are there any other photos of the bird?

I only asked if he could identify this bird without any leading suggestions.

Here is his response.

"Positively turkey vulture. The key in this case is the dark underwing area followed by a lighter color. Look at the attached image and you will see that with a condor it is exactly the opposite, light underwing followed by dark.

Cheers,

Chris"
Re: Fires?
September 16, 2008 01:08AM
Found the answer to my own question:

Fires still burning in Kings Canyon and Sequoia NP
Monday, 15 September 2008
The hazy skies and smoky smell wafting around Mammoth over the past week are due to fires in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National parks southeast of town. The Hidden Fire, which was ignited in Sequoia National Park by lightning on Sept. 10, continues to show growth in spite of aggressive efforts to contain the fire. It is approximately 50 acres in size and is approximately 50 percent contained. Firefighters are attempting to contain this fire at the smallest acreage possible due to the probability for undesired fire behavior, rapid growth, smoke impacts, and the potential for the fire to spread into developed areas.

The Muir Fire, stared by the same lightning storm, has been contained at half of an acre.

The Tehipite Fire has grown to 5,554 acres as of last Thursday. It has been burning since it was started by lightning on or around July 14, but it poses no immediate threats to life or property. Combined with other fires in both the Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks, it has begun to have a smoke impact for mountain communities near the park and forest. Fire managers are monitoring smoke emissions and are working closely with the San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District.

The Cascadel Fire on the Sierra National Forest is another fire that is currently burning and is a high priority for firefighters because of its potential for growth and its proximity to development.

Bob Nicholas
September 16, 2008 02:44AM
Clouds Fire off of the John Muir trail near Half Dome and Moraine Dome is currently 3/4 of an acre. Most likely human caused will be suppressed. No closures at this time. Trail monitors are in place to provide information. One type 1 and several type 2 helicopters will be providing support on the fire.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login