Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: Pinnacles National Monument could become 59th national park

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Pinnacles National Monument could become 59th national park
July 31, 2012 05:00PM
WASHINGTON -- Pinnacles National Monument in central California would become the 59th U.S. national park under a bill that cleared the House on Tuesday with bipartisan support. The bill creating Pinnacles National Park is aimed at raising the national profile of the site, named a monument by President Theodore Roosevelt in 1908.The bill now goes to the Senate.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-pinnacles-national-monument-park-bill-20120731,0,1548055,print.story
avatar Re: Pinnacles National Monument could become 59th national park
July 31, 2012 05:15PM
I've been there and I don't feel that it would be worthy of the title "national park". It's a nice enough place, but it just doesn't have the national significance.
August 01, 2012 11:09AM
y_p_w
I've been there and I don't feel that it would be worthy of the title "national park". It's a nice enough place, but it just doesn't have the national significance.

It isn't a "title", it's a designation and affects budgets and rules.
August 01, 2012 09:04PM
eeek
y_p_w

It isn't a "title", it's a designation and affects budgets and rules.

Fair enough. However, it just doesn't feel like a place that would justify the designation based on its characteristics. I've been to 20 "national parks" in the US, and I think giving Pinnacles the title would cheapen what it means. I could imagine Mt St Helens getting the designation, but I don't necessarily think it needs it either.

This would be a designation from a member of Congress hoping to bring home the bacon, sort of how Cuyahoga Valley NP was redesignated. To this day there are people who think it was a huge mistake.

I know Sam Farr has been looking for somewhat of a boost in tourism in his district. Pinnacles frankly isn't one of those places that would wow a visitor. They've got interesting formations and a good deal of wildlife, but it's not exactly the world-class experience that one would hope could be experienced in what's called a "national park". If they manage to get more visitation, that's probably not what they really need. There's hardly any parking, and building more parking would really detract from the experience.
August 02, 2012 10:30AM
August 04, 2012 09:08AM
Love Great Basin. Drove in and got a campsite after dark on a beautiful weekend on a Saturday night. Can't do that in Yosemite.
August 12, 2012 10:31AM
I drove by Great Basin recently and while I didn't stop to visit, it did look like a worthwhile destination. The mountains and landscape really stood out in great contrast to the surrounding empty desert land. Would like to go someday to do some peak hiking.

And while I live close to Pinnacles, it's never interested me enough to even drop by for a day visit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2012 10:33AM by SteveHall.
August 12, 2012 02:56PM
You've missed something. The trails at the Pinnacles are wonderful---reaching high along a crest that on a clear day gives you views all the way to the Sierra. And the place is a Mecca for rockclimbers, who have all kinds of route there. Add in the two caves trails that are both fun and occasionally a tromp through a water stream, and you have a great park.

Add in the single best chance you'll have in your lifetime to the the California Condors in their native habtitat, and I think it's worth NPS designation!

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
August 12, 2012 03:57PM
Also camping on the West side makes a great base for wine tasting in the Salinas Valley. Better wines than Napa.

Napa means fine auto parts.
Salinas Valley means fine wines.
August 16, 2012 09:03AM
The Pinnacles is a fascinating geological landcape. Obviously the primary reason it is being touted as our next national park per news reports has much to do with that region's business and commercial interests as well as California political clout to do so. That however ought not be primary factor in making it one our our national parks.

Compared to our other national parks, the monument is quite small at 40 square miles, about 10 miles long averaging about 4 miles wide. Some might think that is in any case rather sizeable. However the actual area of the geological features where all the trails are is far smaller, maybe just 4 square miles. Could trails expand into those peripheral areas? Sure but those landscapes are rather ordinary much without outstanding features. In fact much is chaparral that has burned over the decades in periodic wildland fires. Those peripheral areas are valuable to the park's wildlife so have value but not as outstanding or unusual scenery any more than other parks in the region or Los Padres National Forest.

Like much of the inner Coast Range, the Pinnacles is really only pleasant during fair weather periods of spring. Its seasonal streams flow, grasses and wildflowers are nicely green, and its creatures are out and about. By late May anything green other than trees has turned dry brown with daytime temperatures often as unpleasant as in the adjacent Salinas Valley. And most of its creatures other than birds then only venture out during dawn, dusk, and evening hours.

Although it is true making PNM a national park would increase its tourism value, nearby Point Lobos State Reserve, the 17 mile drive on the Monterey Peninsula, and Big Sur Coast state parks all have higher natural scenic and interest values. It would increase numbers of non-Californias and international tourist visits but I would expect many of those visiting outside of spring would be disappointed reducing their confidence that those areas we designate as national parks are worthwhile visits. Another similar park in the Coast Range is Carrizo Plain National Monument. Absolutely incredibly World Class with vast wildflower displays every few years or so during wet years for a brief month or two and then long periods where it is hot, dry, baked, dormant, of low interest and not scenic.

http://www.davidsenesac.com

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2012 09:09AM by DavidSenesac.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login