All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Decline of backcountry overnights
July 31, 2012 10:17PM
Monday, July 30, 2012

Decline of Backpacking

... the number of backcountry campers in our national parks has fallen by nearly 30 percent since 1979.
I was sensitized to this issue since I was hiking in the UK on vacation this summer and the mountains seemed quieter and the paths harder to find than when I was doing the same thing as a teenager.

I wanted to see a fuller picture of the drop in US backpacking, so I made a graph of all the available National Park Service data (from 1979 to 2012):

http://earlywarn.blogspot.com/2012/07/decline-of-backpacking.html
Re: Decline of backcountry overnights
August 01, 2012 09:01AM
Very interesting information. The graph showed a precipitous decline since 1995 which corresponds with the first of the baby boomer generation turning 50.
avatar Re: Decline of backcountry overnights
August 01, 2012 09:45AM
KenS
... the number of backcountry campers in our national parks has fallen by nearly 30 percent since 1979

Quotas have fallen too.
avatar Re: Decline of backcountry overnights
August 02, 2012 09:31AM
I wonder if this decline actually applies to high interest areas such as Yosemite. Eeek, you mentioned quota reductions. Have trailhead quotas been reduced in Yosemite?
Re: Decline of backcountry overnights
August 20, 2012 06:49PM
tomdisco
I wonder if this decline actually applies to high interest areas such as Yosemite.

The ranger I spoke to 11 days ago in Yosemite said last year saw a record-breaking number of permits issued. They were expecting similar this year. My personal observation has been that even the less-popular trailheads have been showing up "full" much more this year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2012 06:49PM by Royalist.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login