Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Vernel Fall, Merced River, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (77% of Full)

Advanced

John Muir Trail

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

John Muir Trail
March 13, 2005 12:20PM
<HTML>I am planning on hiking the JMT this summer, with what seems like more snow than normal, when might be the earliest start date (hiking north to south)?</HTML>
Re: John Muir Trail
April 12, 2005 03:31PM
<HTML>Jaimie,
I hiked the JMT last year, and left around about May 20th, which was fine. I hit a little snow over Donahue Pass, and quite a bit over Muir Pass. It is much snowier this year, so I wouldn't start before mid-June, unless you don't mind walking through lots of snow, especially at Muir pass.
Also, bring rain gear cause there's thunderstorms almost daily, and send yourself a package of food to Vermillion Valley Resort.
-Nick</HTML>
April 14, 2005 06:29PM
<HTML>Hi Nick,

How long did it take you to do the entire JMT and would you say that was an average pace, quicker, or slower than a person should expect?

Did you take any off-days to rest some blisters or anything like that?

Thanks.</HTML>
April 16, 2005 12:13AM
<HTML>Hey William, I remembered after my post that I got my dates wrong. I left JUNE 20th, which changes my recommendation for this year to the beginning of July as being an early starting date.
I did have some blister problems starting about day 3 up until the end. Bring moleskin, duct tape, and some neosporin. I finished in 19 days, which is slow for PCT'ers and fast for JMT'ers. The second half is particularly rough, so don't expect to do much more than 12 miles a day. The PCT'ers will fly past you as they do about 20 miles a day heading toward Canada. Reaching those passes halfway through the day is about the best feeling you can get, and I advise everyone to do something like this at least once.
-Nick</HTML>
April 16, 2005 05:46PM
<HTML>Hey Nick, thanks for the info. I was thinking maybe 24-28 days. From your post it sounds like you went South to North. Is that correct? I thought the hardest days were towards the Whitney end, but you seem to indicate the Yosemite end as being harder. Or did I get tha wrong?

Also, did you have any days where you just stayed in camp as a rest day? Or did you just plug along everyday with no breaks.

At least once....yes, I agree with that sentiment and hope to do so.

Thanks.</HTML>
April 18, 2005 02:14PM
<HTML>Hey William, I went North to South, which I recommend doing because the Whitney end is much harder, and it's nice to end up on top. I didn't rest any days, but I was also in a hurry. I wish I had more time to rest in some of the places and read a book and relax (wash). I had to hurry from VVR to Whitney since I wasn't going to fill up on food again. It's not easy to get food between these two spots, but leaving food at Roads End in Kings Canyon is a possibility. Some more advice: bring lots of mosquito repellant and pack light (one change of clothes, two sweatshirts...). It's also very hard to get a ride from whitney to yosemite. CREST to YART buses does it, but I got a ride from a couple of guys from whitney to lee vining, then took a YART bus to yosemite valley, but all these buses only run like twice a day.
cheers,
Nick</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login