Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Vernel Fall, Merced River, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (73% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Interesting painting in the Bodie museum

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Interesting painting in the Bodie museum
September 21, 2008 02:20PM
If you don't know where Bodie is, or what it is, click here.

September 21, 2008 05:39PM
It's been quite a few years since I was there. Is the unpaved part of the road still rough and full of potholes?
avatar Re: Interesting painting in the Bodie museum
September 21, 2008 05:59PM
Louis,

I did a search on Anne Donnelly and all I could come up with was that she was an Irish oil painter born in the 50's who worked mostly in Europe and a little in the US. There were no references to this particular painting.

Jim

avatar Re: Interesting painting in the Bodie museum
September 21, 2008 07:48PM
I have no doubt Anne Donnelly (born 1932 and still living) painted this. Her biography places her in Ireland but she has traveled pretty much around the world. But, I'm not so sure you could actually sit down anywhere around Yosemite Valley and have a view like that. Artists do tend to embellish, however.

As for the road into Bodie, which one? There are four open to the public.

South entrance from Mono Lake: Rough 10 miles of dirt road Take your time. I found an old rusted horse shoe midway up Cottonwood Canyon, it now adorns my transmission hump. This road spits you out right at the entrance to the park.
Southwest entrance (Highway 270): Paved 10 miles, last 3 miles of rough washboarded road, mainly because people drive too fast.
West entrance: The one I exited on Saturday. Good road except for a few rough spots here and there. Eventually dumps you out just north of Bridgeport, or if you get adventuresome and turn right instead of left, good road to another interesting ghost town called Masonic.
North entrance: Goes past Aurora, NV, yet another ghost town that has pretty much nothing left (but could've been as good as Bodie if Nevada had been on the ball). This road goes around the backside of Bodie Bluff, where you will see more tailing piles than on the west (public) side.
September 21, 2008 08:42PM
Looks like she painted it from the view a little way up the 4-mile trail

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
September 22, 2008 08:58AM
The one that turns off US395 is what I was referring to. They seem to have kept that road in the same condition as Bodie itself...a state of arrested decay.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login