All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Four Mile Trail open?
March 16, 2005 04:36AM
<HTML>Hi All,
Im from The Netherlands and we're planning a trip to yosemite in May.
On May the 19th we would like to hike from the Valley via the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point and then back down via Panorama Trail.
I found out on this forum that the Four Mile Trail usually opens somewhere in May or June. Can someone tell me what the chances are that the trail will be open on May the 19th, i heard that there was a lot of snow already but also that it was quite warm last week.
What might be a good alternative if the trail is still closed then?

Thanks!

Jan</HTML>
avatar Re: Four Mile Trail open?
March 16, 2005 03:17PM
<HTML>It won't be opened until the avalanche chute is safe and it's too early to tell when that'll be this year. You might want to consider the Snow Creek Trail out of Mirror Lake. It gets a lot of sun and should be open.</HTML>

Re: Four Mile Trail open?
March 16, 2005 08:20PM
<HTML>Hi Rick,

Do you mind if I ask if you are a Park Ranger, or live in or near the Valley? You always seem to have the answers for virtually any question.

I'm sure all the visitors here appreciate your insight(s).

Thanks,</HTML>

Bill
March 17, 2005 08:17AM
<HTML>No, I'm just a guy that's loves the park.</HTML>

March 19, 2005 01:42PM
<HTML>Do you get there often? How do you keep up on what's going on in Yosemite?

Thanks.</HTML>

Bill
March 19, 2005 07:49PM
<HTML>I don't get there as often as I like. But I find out what's going on from a number of sources including a few friends.

</HTML>
March 19, 2005 09:52PM
<HTML>Okay, I know what you mean. I try to get there from the midwest 3-4 times per year. I'd go every week if I could.

Have you ever done the John Muir Trail from Yosemite to Mount Whitney? I'd like to do it someday, but being 211 miles one way, I think I would need around 3 weeks (and maybe 4) to really enjoy it. Right now I don't have that block of time.

I don't know if it's the equivalent of 15-20 consecutive Half Dome day hikes, or if there are stretches of flat miles where you can make decent time. I'm sure most people would need a rest day at least once a week.

I don't know that I'd ever want to take six months to do the entire Pacifice Crest Trail, but I'd sure like to do the JMT once in my life.

I'd be interested to know if you have done it, or know people who have.</HTML>

Bill
March 20, 2005 08:02PM
<HTML>I've never done the entire JMT or even the majority of it. I've mostly concentrated on the Yosemite region of the Sierra, probably because I was infected with it when my grandparents took me camping at age 3. Also, like you, I've never had the block of time needed to do such a long trip and now my knees are telling me it's too late winking smiley</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login