All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar SF officials approve upgrade to water system
October 31, 2008 04:16PM
San Francisco officials have approved a $4.4 billion plan to upgrade the Bay Area's largest drinking water system, which draws water from Hetch Hetchy Reservoir

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_10862247

avatar Re: SF officials approve upgrade to water system
October 31, 2008 11:16PM
My understanding is that most of this will be in upgrading the system far downstream from Hetch Hetchy. A lot of this will go to improving the infrastructure in the Bay Area including reservoirs and pipelines.
October 31, 2008 11:17PM
But spending the money will also be used as an argument against taking that dam down.

November 02, 2008 10:54AM
eeek wrote:

> But spending the money will also be used as an argument against
> taking that dam down.

My opinion is that the current Hetch Hetchy system as designed is not needed. I'e heard of reasonable analyses that include the removal of the O'Shaughnnesey Dam with the capacity made up from use of excess capacity in downstream reservoirs. The only problem for San Francisco is that they're not controlling those reservoirs and would have to negotiate. They now have the bargaining power since they control the big upstream source.

In any case, there are serious deficiencies in the this water delivery system in the Bay Area. These repairs are something that would be required regardless of whether the water was sourced from Hetch Hetchy or Lake Don Pedro. I don't know why Hetch Hetchy is mentioned, since I don't hear much of anything in Yosemite actually receiving this work.

My smaller scale analogy would be of most these repairs being fixing residential and neighborhood pipes. The water source would be the local treatment plant or reservoir. Regardless of where the treatment plant or reservoir is located, if the residential pipes are in bad shape, they need to be fixed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login