Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Should the National Park Service or Arizona's state park system manage the Grand Canyon?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Boy this is a really smart idea... what do you think?

By Tim Gaynor, Reuters

When voters in Arizona go to the polls next month, they will be asked to decide a landownership tug of war: Should the Grand Canyon belong to all Americans, or just the residents of Arizona?

A controversial ballot measure backed by Republicans in the state legislature is seeking sovereign control over millions of acres of federal land in the state, including the Grand Canyon.

Proposition 120 would amend the state's constitution to declare Arizona's sovereignty and jurisdiction over the "air, water, public lands, minerals, wildlife and other natural resources within the state's boundaries."
Actually... what I really think is smart is what this gentleman said:

"The parks do not belong to one state or to one section.... The Yosemite, the Yellowstone, the Grand Canyon are national properties in which every citizen has a vested interest; they belong as much to the man of Massachusetts, of Michigan, of Florida, as they do to the people of California, of Wyoming, and of Arizona."

Stephen T. Mather
It is amazing how many bad ideas seem to be originating in Arizona these days...

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
avatar Re: Should the National Park Service or Arizona's state park system manage the Grand Canyon?
October 23, 2012 02:40PM
They want to drill for oil or exploit other natural resources in the area. They also want the profits they see being made. I can imagine a sign at the park entrance; "Welcome to the Grand Canyon, brought to your by K_Mart.." And, don't forget, these are Republicans were talking about; they'll remove all the science books in the shops and replace them with Noah's flood stories.
avatar Re: Should the National Park Service or Arizona's state park system manage the Grand Canyon?
October 23, 2012 03:08PM
balzaccom
It is amazing how many bad ideas seem to be originating in Arizona these days...

Indeed. They seem to be totally hatstand lately.
eeek
balzaccom

Indeed. They seem to be totally hatstand lately.

Actually, I believe I smell an intriguing rodent on this one. I don't believe Arizona actually wants - or is prepared to handle - the enormity of the South Rim congestion and inner canyon rescues. When Congress did not pass a budget under Bill Clinton, you'll recall the Nation's parks were shut down. Arizona, possibly assisted by the Babbitt's, found a clever way to maintain minimum services. I wouldn't rush to judgement on this one and it might make for some interesting people-watching. Besides, would the NPS have to move the "Kowski College" back to Yosemite Village? How many will know what that question refers to?
Dearborn

Besides, would the NPS have to move the "Kowski College" back to Yosemite Village? How many will know what that question refers to?

I think you are referring to "Kowski Kollege" wink now known as the Horace M. Albright Training Center. I doubt that it would ever move back to Yosemite Village. If it ever moved back to California, I would think that the Park Service would locate it in the Presidio of San Francisco which is part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area.
plawrence
Dearborn

Besides, would the NPS have to move the "Kowski College" back to Yosemite Village? How many will know what that question refers to?

I think you are referring to "Kowski Kollege" wink now known as the Horace M. Albright Training Center. I doubt that it would ever move back to Yosemite Village. If it ever moved back to California, I would think that the Park Service would locate it in the Presidio of San Francisco which is part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area.

Aha! A student of esoterica. One of my supervisors in 1970 was one of the last to attend the training center in Yosemite and I attended the pilot seasonal ranger program at Albright the next year. Made a few friendships that have survived to this day.
i might be wrong but haven't some of the state parks been closed due to lack of budget funds? How would the state parks be able to fund the management of the grand canyon? not to mention that it is a National Park and belongs to everyone; it needs to be managed by the national park service.
marmot
i might be wrong but haven't some of the state parks been closed due to lack of budget funds? How would the state parks be able to fund the management of the grand canyon? not to mention that it is a National Park and belongs to everyone; it needs to be managed by the national park service.

It was established variously as a federal forest reserve, game preserve, and national monument - all while Arizona was still a territory. The ownership of Grand Canyon by the Federal Government is pretty well established.
Arizona defeats ballot measure contesting Grand Canyon ownership

PHOENIX (Reuters) - Arizona voters on Tuesday defeated a ballot measure contesting ownership of the Grand Canyon and other federal lands in the state, handing another defeat to the "sagebrush revolt" by Republicans in Western states.

Proposition 120, which lost by a 2-to-1 margin, would have amended the state's constitution to declare Arizona's sovereignty and jurisdiction over the "air, water, public lands, minerals, wildlife and other natural resources within the state's boundaries."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/49722850/ns/politics/
November 07, 2012 06:06PM
bbb
Arizona defeats ballot measure contesting Grand Canyon ownership

That's a relief.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login