Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Parts of Curry Village to be permanently closed off

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Parts of Curry Village to be permanently closed off
November 21, 2008 12:04PM
avatar Re: Parts of Curry Village to be permanently closed off
November 21, 2008 12:05PM
Apparently this includes one of the interior shower houses and employee housing.

November 21, 2008 12:48PM
The partial closer leaves 618 units still open. I had no idea there were that many!

IMO 618 units is 618 units too many. Curry Village simply doesn't belong.
November 21, 2008 03:55PM
Vince wrote:

> IMO 618 units is 618 units too many. Curry Village simply
> doesn't belong.

It has a long history. If anything doesn't belong, I'd say it's the simulated wood beams of the Ahwahnee.

November 21, 2008 10:08PM
Actually, it seems to me the whole Ahwahnee belongs elsewhere, like in Cabo San Lucas or Acapulco, not the valley 8^)

I just hope the 1/3 of folks who would have stayed at Curry don't all rent motor homes and vie for the campground spots, bringing along a portable garage, 3 E-Z-ups, satellite dish, their gas barbecue-equipped outdoor kitchen and patio furniture, then run their auxiliaries all day. (I wish that was an exaggeration).

But closing that newer shower house...I hope they're going to put one elsewhere to make up for it. Not a big deal in the off-season when I go, but for the summer visitors, the lines will be awful.

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
November 22, 2008 02:29AM
Sierrafan wrote:

> Actually, it seems to me the whole Ahwahnee belongs elsewhere,

I thought I said that winking smiley

November 22, 2008 06:37AM
What are the chances the park will reopen other areas in the valley to Curry Village type lodging to make up for the lost revenue? Previous posts under other threads have indicated park mangement policy often favors money over environmental concerns, at least in the valley. This is no small monetary loss to the park and we all know money talks.

November 26, 2008 05:00PM
Vince,

I totally agree. Curry Village looks like a refugee camp. I think it should've been bulldozed but mother nature has handled the situation.

Curry Village was a sore thumb in the middle of paradise.

Post Edited (11-26-08 17:36)
November 22, 2008 04:00PM
It just makes me sick to think so much of Curry is going to be lost. Of course, it includes my favorite tent cabin, but I'll find another. Curry Village has 100 years of wonderful history and a great place for anyone who loves Yosemite no matter what. I hope they can find another way of adding tent cabins back someday. I'm sure whatever they do with the closed area, it will be beautiful. In 37 years we have camped in the valley and spend a lot of time at TM when open, but Curry will always have a special place in my heart and I will continue to go there as long as I can.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login