Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (83% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Ideas for Day Trip

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Ideas for Day Trip
November 26, 2008 05:03PM
I plan on going up to Yosemite this weekend. Looking for some ideas. Glacier Point (one of my favorite places) and Tioga pass are closed.

Any ideas for a day visit?
November 26, 2008 06:17PM
Lisa,

I don't know how much you are into hiking but a most modest hike at the top of the valley would be the Mirror Lake loop trail. Another great possibility is the Happy Isle trail from the southest corner of the valley which heads towards Vernal Falls and Nevada Falls. The falls are practically nonexistant this time of year but the scenary is great and gets you out of the valley a bit. There may be snow at or above Nevada Falls. More strenuous choices might be lower and/or upper Yosemite Falls.

If you were to approach Yosemite from Oakhurst then there is always the Chilnuala Fall trail from Wawona. Another one in that area is Wawona Meadow trail. We can provide more details if you do not have a good trail map or trail book.

Jim

November 26, 2008 07:42PM
Thanks. I have not hiked the Chilnuala Fall trail yet but I enjoy and have hiked the other trails you mentioned.

I am a modest hiker and take the 120/Oakdale. I appreciate any ideas that you have.
November 26, 2008 08:17PM
If you're looking for something different, try the Old Wawona Road from near Bridalveil Fall to Artist Point. I went on this a few weeks ago, but haven't got the photos posted yet. It's one of those hikes where you may not see another person, at least until you reach the Pohono trail.

If you want to try it, park at Bridalveil parking lot, and walk up the left shoulder of highway 41 for about 1/3 mile. You'll see the road on your left, blocked off by boulders. It's mostly dirt now with remnants of pavement left, but was used back in the 18--'s for horses, stagecoaches, etc.

You go up about 2.5 miles to where it intersects the Pohono trail. Just before that is Artist Point, used by Thomas Hill and many others for their paintings. If you continue up the Pohono for .6 mile, you get to Inspiration Point, which also carries a lot of history. You'll probably see people on this trail, who will have hiked up from the tunnel view area.

The Old road climbs away from the newer Wawona road, and parallels the tunnel though it's up much higher and you'd have no idea there's tunnel down the hill. You get a nice view of another "offbeat" hike across the valley, the Old Big Oak Flat Road, which is a lot tougher hike because of rockslides.

Anyway, it's something different, and it's a not-too-strenuous round trip of about 6 miles.

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
November 30, 2008 09:45PM
Sierrafan wrote:

> If you're looking for something different, try the Old Wawona
> Road from near Bridalveil Fall to Artist Point.

Or Inspiration Point from Tunnel View.

November 26, 2008 08:41PM
Lisa,
There are a few hikes over by Hetch Hetchy.

1. Across the dam and along the edge of the lake toward Rancheria. Easy hike with lots of interesting stuff along the way.

2. Across the dam and up the switchbacks towards Miguel Meadow. This trail follows the old roadbed that goes from O'Shaughnessy Dam to Lake Eleanor. This is a very nice moderate route. I like this trail a lot.

3. Smith Meadow and perhaps up Smith Peak. The signed trailhead is about two thirds in toward the dam from the entrance station. Very nice trail that takes you through the different floras at the various altitudes. Smith Peak is about 1.5 miles and 1200' up after you get to Smith Meadow. Once on the peak and on a clear day you can see a huge amount of the watershed north of the lake. I would rate the hike to Smith Meadow more than moderate but less than strenuous. If you went on to Smith Peak I would call it strenuous.

Old Dude
November 27, 2008 07:46AM
The waterfalls in the valley were running very very very nicely two
weekends ago due to the storm and then subsequent warm spell.

i.e.: http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/bill-e-g/P1020208.JPG.html

Have fun. It's all good..

Post Edited (11-27-08 07:56)

Everything I know I learned from Chick-on is looking at you!
November 28, 2008 04:16PM
Thanks for the information.

It's been awhile since I went to Hetch Hetchy. I definitely need a map. When I visited the dam, I do remember a trail near the dam.

I am not familiar with Artist Point but this and Chilnuala Fall trail sounds interesting.

When I arrive tomorrow, I will grab a map.
November 28, 2008 05:05PM
Here's a map so you can check things out before you go:

http://www.nps.gov/archive/yose/pphtml/maps.html

You will have to download a pdf file.

Post Edited (11-28-08 21:48)

Old Dude
November 28, 2008 05:13PM
Mike,

Thank you.
November 28, 2008 07:03PM
Lisa,

Chilnualna Fall trailhead is behind the village of North Wawona. It's about an 8.2 mile round trip between 4,500' and 6,500', all up hill on the way in, all down hill on the way out. Wawona Dome is southeast of the trail at 6,903'. Lots of switchbacks.

Jim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login