All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Where to obtain a good Yosemite map?
January 06, 2013 01:32AM
Hello everyone. I was just wondering if anyone knows where I might be able to buy a good, detailed map of Yosemite? I specifically am looking for a map with all the hiking trails shown in it I can carry around with me in my pack. It would be a bonus if they sell them as waterproof as well (not essential but I imagine it might help maintain good condition). I do have a gps I carry for long trips but I am still a big fan of having a nice map. Thank you for your time =)
avatar Re: Where to obtain a good Yosemite map?
January 06, 2013 08:02AM
Marmot,

I've always been very partial to Nat'l Geo Trails Illustrated maps because they are waterproof and tear resistant. Map #206 covers all of Yosemite but leaves a bit to be desired due to its small detail attempting to cover such a large area on one map. They make 4 additional maps that cover the same area broken up into quadrants. These I live by. They are as follows:

# 306 Yosemite SW--Yosemite Valley & Wawona
# 307 Yosemite NW--Hetch Hetchy Reservoir
# 308 Yosemite NE--Tuolumne Meadows & Hoover Wilderness
# 309 Yosemite SE--Ansel Adams Wilderness

Chances are, you will only need one or at the most two of these on any single visit to the park. They are much easier to read and provide the details you want.
Re: Where to obtain a good Yosemite map?
January 06, 2013 08:10AM
I have a number of the Nat Geo maps....mainly because they seem to be the ones sold in the NPS gift shops. But they are notoriously inaccurate on mileage etc. Tom Harrison's maps are better, I think, in just about every way. And he has four or five different maps for Yosemite.

You might also check out AcmeMapper, where you can print out your own topo maps free of charge, and do to the scale you like. We usually do the following:

1. Take along one larger map of the whole area, either Harrison or Nat Geo
2. Print out very small scale blow-ups of the specific route we are hiking. Those are the ones we use on the trail...

but it's always nice to have the larger map to help identify distant peaks. And every once in a while, we decided to change our route entirely during the trip...and our print-out maps don't always cover the alternatives

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
January 06, 2013 09:21AM
One can purchase good topo maps of Yosemite like the ones from Tom Harrison or National Geographic at outdoor outfitter stores like REI or Any Mountain, or inside Yosemite itself at the Village Store, the Village Sport Shop or the Yosemite Mountain Shop. Most other gift shops in Yosemite will also carry a smaller selection of topo maps of Yosemite.

One can purchase these topo maps online too, including on Amazon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2013 07:17PM by plawrence.
January 06, 2013 06:28PM
Thank you everyone, this is exactly what I was looking for smiling smiley I am going to order a few of the maps you mentioned. Also I was unaware of AcmeMapper, I am definitely going to be checking that out as well. I'm looking forward to another summer of backpacking smiling smiley
January 06, 2013 08:44PM
+1 for the Tom Harrison maps. I've got a set of 3 of them. Each one is best for a different part of the park that I figure I might want to visit in the future. A bit pricey, but worth it so that I don't get lost!
January 06, 2013 08:51PM
I was originally going to go with the national geographic maps but since the Tom Harrison maps are more accurate I went with that. I ordered 1 of the yosemite national park maps (the main overview, of the whole park) and also 1 of the Hetch Hetchy maps and 1 of the Tuolumne area maps smiling smiley great input everyone
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login