All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Geezers Reminisce (from "Instruction on Posting Pics"winking smiley
December 05, 2008 10:38PM
>>Ah, that's nothing. I can honestly claim to have punched cards to write computer programs. winking smiley<<
Should we be addressing you as "chad"?

Actually I don't miss much about the old days except that we drank from the streams with far less concern ( possibly just blissfully ignorant) until sometime in the 70's when Guardia lamblia became an issue. Oh yes, and the Fire Fall , though not politically correct to say, I kinda miss-- it was rather memorable to a 10 yr old. That was when Mirror Lake was actually reflective.
FF

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
Re: Geezers Reminisce (from "Instruction on Posting Pics"winking smiley
December 06, 2008 10:04AM
Frank Furter wrote:

> >>Ah, that's nothing. I can honestly claim to have punched
> cards to write computer programs. winking smiley<<
> Should we be addressing you as "chad"?
>
> Actually I don't miss much about the old days except that we
> drank from the streams with far less concern ( possibly just
> blissfully ignorant) until sometime in the 70's when Guardia
> lamblia became an issue. Oh yes, and the Fire Fall , though
> not politically correct to say, I kinda miss-- it was rather
> memorable to a 10 yr old. That was when Mirror Lake was
> actually reflective.
> FF
>

Also, there weren't massive motor homes and trailers creeping along Tioga Road.....and Ansel Adams was often present in the park.

avatar Re: Geezers Reminisce (from "Instruction on Posting Pics"winking smiley
December 06, 2008 10:48AM
The old days for me, relative to Yosemite, were 1969-1972 when I first discovered the park while stationed at NAS Moffet Field in Mountainview, Ca. We would leave the Bay area around 4PM Friday and camp on the riverbed off Rt 140 (where one could actually drive out onto it). The next morning we would have one of the best breakfasts in the world at the resturant by the river in El Portal (destroyed by the flood) and huff it to the Mist trail for an overnighter above Nevada Falls with no permits. We had no trail maps and no clue about the fantastic trails off Tioga Road. That came later. In '75 I moved back east, never having seen trails like Cathedral, Ten Lakes, Grand Canyon, Vogelsang, Young Lakes, Clark Range, Red Peak, etc.

Now I have to save my pennies for air fare, motels, and car rental just to see the places I should have seen when I was younger and dumber. The old days could have been utilized much better for Yosemite ventures.

Jim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login