Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

Re: El Cap from Old Big Oak Flat Rd. (Rockslides)

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar El Cap from Old Big Oak Flat Rd. (Rockslides)
December 09, 2008 07:12AM
This was last weekend.... (for mrcondron)

May, 2006:
http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/mrcondron/IMG_4464.JPG.html

On top of El Cap there were 3 Jets that more or less buzzed over.
By buzzed I mean I swear they must have been maybe at 15,000ft.
What's up with that?

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/bill-e-g/3Jets.jpg.html

The snow melt has subsided and the waterfalls are trickling now again:
http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/bill-e-g/P1020219.JPG.html

I think its time for some storms...
avatar Re: El Cap from Old Big Oak Flat Rd. (Rockslides)
December 09, 2008 08:35AM
Hmm - - they look like private jets - maybe a photo shoot? If I was en route nearby and had the chance, I'd for sure fly over YNP!

Thanks for the photos!
December 09, 2008 11:08AM
It's the big three CEOs doing a flyabout after dumping their green cars in Baltimore.

Old Dude
December 09, 2008 12:05PM
15k (delta ~ 7k) hardly rates as buzzing.

According to a friend that I worked with back in the '70s, it was not uncommon at that time for fighters, presumably from China Lake, to fly up the 395 corridor a couple hundred feet off the deck. (He didn't mention if they used their lane change blinkers while passing.)

Post Edited (12-09-08 12:12)

THE YOSEMITE POST
Voice of the Rocky Marmot Empire
December 09, 2008 01:23PM
> hardly rates as buzzing...

ok... zipping!??

I was trying to be conservative...

I thought the restriction was more than 2000 ft:

http://www.openroad.tv/index.php?categoryid=16&p25_id=294

Fighter Jets seem to be always over SEKI. This was a real problem
awhile ago that the rangers would actually write the tail numbers down
... blah blah blah

Anyway, it was buzzing to me...
December 09, 2008 01:35PM
A few years ago I was standing just below Trail Crest on the Mount Whitney trail (~13,000 ft) looking down the canyon toward Lone Pine and saw an F117 stealth fighter flying below the outline of the Inyo Mountains but making a turn around Lone Pine Peak.... Weird to see a fighter from above like that. Camera wouldn't turn on fast enough before the plane disappeared southbound.
December 14, 2008 08:18AM
Hey Bill,

Great picture of the jets. I checked my San Francisco Sectional map and indeed there is a 2000 ft. AGL flight restriction for yosemite, but as a pilot, I know that national parks normally have some flight restrictions. I think much of that came about because knuckleheads kept killing themselves in the grand canyon. They'd go under the rim, come up on a box canyon, and not have enough radius to turn. Mountain flying in particular can be pretty treacherous.

In additon these guys are flying in formation; which having tried formation flying in small cessnas, I can tell you is quite difficult, and risky. They are quite close to each other, especially for aircraft that size. I would suspect these guys are doing some sort of photo shoot.

I like the comment about the 3 car company CEOs flying their private jets to DC. The small one must be Chrysler.
December 14, 2008 08:31AM
It's been awhile since I've done any flying, also in Cessnas. I don't recall the specific FAA rules regarding normal aircraft separation but I presume a special permit is required for civilian aircraft to fly in formation for a photo shoot, if indeed these are civilian aircraft. Kind of looks like they are.

Jim

December 14, 2008 09:12AM
from_mars wrote:

> I know that national parks normally
> have some flight restrictions. I think much of that came about
> because knuckleheads kept killing themselves in the grand
> canyon. They'd go under the rim, come up on a box canyon, and
> not have enough radius to turn. Mountain flying in particular
> can be pretty treacherous.

It might have been that, but it also may have been to keep too many planes 'cruising' the view from spoiling things. Nothing like being in what's supposed to be wilderness, only to have low flying planes sightseeing. I'm sure it's a great view from a small plane, but you have to think of how many folks that might just figure it's a lot quicker and easier to do a low flight over and catch the sights, and the effect on the folks below.

Even with the altitude restriction, if photography or an unspoiled view is an interest, jet contrails are a constant annoyance. Nothing like a great storm-cloud view of the valley with a bunch of straight lines going across. Of course, that's pretty much the case everywhere. It used to be power lines we "photoshopped" out of pix, but contrails are becoming more prevalant than power lines.

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login