Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (74% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Women hikers-what's up with that?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Women hikers-what's up with that?
January 16, 2013 03:29PM
Yes, it’s different. When we hike in the Sierra, we don’t see many couples hiking together. We see a lot of men, and a few groups of women. But plain old couples like us, not so much.

And it’s funny what happens when all those men see M on the trail. P tends to hike a little faster than M, so he usually greets these hikers first. They are perfectly happy to be seen resting on the side of the trail while P hikes up and past them. All is well in the world until M comes around the corner. The minute they see the lovely M hiking along, they make a great struggle to get going again. They jump to their feet, hoist up their packs, give a few grunts, and push themselves up the trail.

So now we are hiking along the trail, P in front, and a group of guys who are just killing themselves to keep up, and M hiking merrily behind them all. The only problem is, they often can’t keep up the pace. And so, slowly and inexorably, M passes them by. Her only hope is that they don’t die of a heart attack while she does so. They gasp and wheeze, sweat and groan. M smiles sweetly at them. Well, sometimes she does.

They just don’t want to admit that a woman might hike faster than they do—especially a woman of a certain age. (And no, we are not disclosing proprietary information. Let’s just that we’ve been married well over thirty years, and neither of us is in the bloom of youth.)

It’s true that there are a lot of people who hike faster than we do. We’re happy to let them walk on by. And we admit that we often have an advantage, as our packs are certainly lighter than a lot of the packs that we see on the trail. It’s always easier to climb up a pass with 25 pounds than with 45 pounds. Or sixty.

But none of that matters to those guys when M appears on the trail.

Go figure.

I'll bet Chick-on can tell a few stories of a similar nature....

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
avatar Re: Women hikers-what's up with that?
January 16, 2013 07:54PM
Chick-on's master, Bill-e-g, is under the control of the Goat Whisperer who out-hikes him especially on the flat. She is quite often 1/4 mile ahead. (up horrendous switchbacks is a different story)

Old Dude
January 17, 2013 01:40AM
mrcondron
She is quite often 1/4 mile ahead.

Due to the clucking?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2013 11:15AM by eeek.
January 17, 2013 08:27AM
OD is afraid of her.... VERY AFRAID

Chick-on is looking at you!
January 26, 2013 09:12PM
chick-on
OD is afraid of her.... VERY AFRAID

[Insert Pictured Sign of Frighted Bear]

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
January 28, 2013 05:02PM
Found it.

Chick-on is looking at you!
January 28, 2013 05:12PM
[

OLD DUDE AFTER AN ENCOUNTER WITH THE GOAT WHISPERER

January 16, 2013 08:27PM
I don't mind getting passed by anyone on the trail. If I'm sucking wind and in the way, by all means shove me a side and carry on. If it happens to be a woman, great. If that woman is attractive, even better. To me its just motivation to stop being lazy and get in better shape. I especially love/envy seeing older people on the trails. Very inspiring.
January 17, 2013 04:47PM
Another weird thing for hiking couples: When my wife and I used to hike Yosemite together (many years ago) I was frequently greeted with very warm and welcome smiles by lots of single women, whether my wife was watching them or not. The weird thing about this is that it only happened after I got married. Where were all these friendly single women when I was single?Confused
January 17, 2013 05:02PM
You lucky dog.
January 17, 2013 05:37PM
So, you didn't marry one??

Old Dude
January 18, 2013 11:01AM
mrcondron
So, you didn't marry one??

Yes,I did. No complaint in that respect. Just thought it odd that single woman on the trails waited until after I was married to show so much attention rather than when I was single and still looking.
January 18, 2013 05:38PM
tomdisco
Just thought it odd that single woman on the trails waited until after I was married to show so much attention rather than when I was single and still looking.

It's not add at all. Women have sensors that detect your married state.
January 19, 2013 01:20AM
eeek
tomdisco

Just thought it odd that single woman on the trails waited until after I was married to show so much attention rather than when I was single and still looking.

It's not add at all. Women have sensors that detect your married state.

Yes, it's called their eyes.

And what they see with their eyes is one's wedding band on one's finger. smiling smiley

January 19, 2013 09:41AM
I was on a hike with a female friend. She was in good shape and had gotten ahead of me on a very long uphill stretch. (Las Trampas on the way to Rocky Ridge to see the arch up there.)

She yelled back; "Are you comming?"

My reply; "No. Just breathing hard."
January 19, 2013 12:28PM
plawrence
And what they see with their eyes is one's wedding band on one's finger. smiling smiley

No, that's not it. There's something they detect that says the man is already taken even without ever having worn a ring.
January 26, 2013 09:17PM
This reminds me of why I end up quitting clubs/organized group activities (disorganized hooligans are okay)

January 27, 2013 02:28AM
Bee
This reminds me of why I end up quitting clubs/organized group activities (disorganized hooligans are okay)

I quit because putting large amounts of unpaid time and energy into an organization made me a target for jealousy and back stabbing.
January 27, 2013 12:45PM
eeek

I quit because putting large amounts of unpaid time and energy into an organization made me a target for jealousy and back stabbing.

Advanced version of the above (Intro is the general rudeness of strangers)(Advanced is the specific targeting of the bad behaviour)

February 07, 2013 06:31PM
More intelligent lechers wait until the attractive female is past, then follow along admiring the view.
February 09, 2013 01:05PM
Men who watch women are not really lechers. All heterosexual men, married or not, watch women. For any women who have a problem with that, get over it. IT'S NORMAL! The day we stop looking somebody better check for a pulse. eye popping smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login