Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Short-cuts

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

December 15, 2008 10:23AM
Has anyone here ever cut west off trail from the Young Lakes trail and followed Conness Creek down to Glen Aulin? If so, what's the going like? From maps and Google Earth it appears to be all downhill through heavy forest but I was wondering in particular what the going is like near the creek. It looks to be about 3 miles of off trail hiking.

Jim

December 15, 2008 12:10PM
Jim,

Many years ago: followed it all the way down to the Glen Aulin HSC (High Sierra Camp) from the branch that issues from Roosevelt Lake.

As I recall, the upper part was smooth going; we did it in early September and, for the most part, walked down the dry creekbed itself (large granite slabs in that area). Approaching the HSC, the last couple miles was HEAVY bushwacking; we had left the creek itself, probably so we didn't have to do any bouldering with our backpacks, but it was 30+ years ago and I don't really remember the reason why.

Conclusion: worth doing once, but don't do it in the hope of saving time.

Post Edited (12-15-08 12:11)

THE YOSEMITE POST
Voice of the Rocky Marmot Empire
December 15, 2008 12:26PM
Thanks,

That's what I was hoping to find out. If it's a lot of heavy brush then obviously I would not save any time, which was the objective.

Jim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login