All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Badger Pass to Bridalveil Trail
December 31, 2008 01:44PM
I'm thinking of camping out at Bridalveil Camp Grounds this weekend, given the weather cooperates. It's only 2.8 miles to the campgrounds from Badger Pass, but i'm wondering how hard the trail is to follow to when there's snow on the ground; i.e. does it run next to glacier point road, etc. If the weather turns bad; which it looks like it might, I'll probably just go snow boarding.
avatar Re: Badger Pass to Bridalveil Trail
December 31, 2008 02:09PM
The "trail" is the road.

Re: Badger Pass to Bridalveil Trail
December 31, 2008 02:24PM
Glacier point road will get me there, but the yosemite winter trails map shows another trail they're calling old glacier point road, that loops away from the main road. Though this might be a considered a cross-country ski trail only.
December 31, 2008 03:05PM
Ok, that one. I've done it and I don't remember it being at all hard to follow.

December 31, 2008 03:12PM
Thanks. Just want to make sure before I go wandering off on it, though if it's snowing I can stay on the main road since it gets me to the same place.
December 31, 2008 03:44PM
from_mars wrote:

> if it's snowing I can stay on the main road since it
> gets me to the same place.

That would be a good idea. Especially if it's snowing enough to cover tracks.

December 31, 2008 05:24PM
Mars,

There is signage pointing to Bridalveil Campground. There is a major intersection at the bottom of a hill going in on Glacier Point Road and the campground is to the south of Glacier Point Road. Bridalveil Creek runs nearby and you will find a small bridge on Glacier Point Road that crosses the creek. The distance to the campground is about 1/4 mile if memory serves. I winter camped there once in 1974 and again in 2004 and did some day skiing.

Old Dude
December 31, 2008 10:35PM
Mars:

I took that trail, desiring the greater solitude. However, I haven't taken it since. The trail is more difficult and less scenic (going through a forest).

Jon

January 02, 2009 02:23PM
Looks like the road is the better way to go, in terms of the view as well as easy navigating. As it turns out thoug, I couldn't go because of an experiment here at work that needed to be done over the weekend, and it looks like the weather isn't all that good today anyway according to the weather report and the webcams. Unfortunately, all I can fit in this weekend is a snowboard trip to Kirkwood, one of those one day bus deals. Waiting in a lift line with a thousand other people up your butt. Bummer. Though I've been backpacking for only a short time (first trip in Nov.), I think the beauty and almost hyponotic solitude of Yosemite has spoiled me for a lot of other pursuits. Next week I start a winter training session with the Sierra Club (I've never pitched a tent in the snow), and I think one of their training trips is out to Crocker Point (at least that's what they showed on one of their intro slides).

Thanks for the info.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login