Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (88% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

Re: Sequoia National Park springboard tree?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Sequoia National Park springboard tree?
March 17, 2013 10:53PM
Anyone been to the springboard tree at Sequoia National Park? If so, do you know if there is a name for it? How about geographic coordinates? I was told about tree by park worker about 10 years ago and hiked out (short 3/4 mile) to the tree. The trail starts at the parking lot across the road from the Giant Forest Museum and the tree is off the Sunset Rock trail which goes north west from the trail head. I remember it being a very special treat. We walked out on the large sequoia tree that was laying down but the top of the tree was off the ground quite a bit. At the end of the tree (top) we jumped on tree until it was springing up and down and was able to get a bit of air from the spring affect. The tree is off the trail and from the way it looks not many people frequent the tree.
March 18, 2013 11:22AM
Hmm, my guess would be that this tree is, or was, near what is called on some maps Eli's Paradise, a meadow with several sequoias in it. There have been management fires in this area fairly recently, so this tree may not exist any more, or if it does, it may no longer be very spring-y.
March 18, 2013 08:56PM
That's it...Eli's Meadow. Thanks. I found a picture on the Internet (google eli's paradise, Sequoia National Park) of a guy standing next to the rock on east side of the meadow that looks familiar. The tree I'm talking about is not on the meadow but on the side of meadow. I think the east side.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login