Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Earl Backcountry Survival Tablet

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Earl Backcountry Survival Tablet
May 10, 2013 11:52PM
This isn't an endorsement, just pointing out something interesting.

EARL BACKCOUNTRY SURVIVAL TABLET

Tempting . . .

Android 4.1 • Flexible 6" E-ink screen (1024x768) • Sunlight viewable with lunar lantern mode • Glove friendly IR touchscreen • Waterproof shell • Kickstand • Solar charging • i.MX 6 DualLite 1GHz Cortex A9 • 1GB ram • 16GB memory + microSD • Wifi b/g/n • BT 4.0 • ANT+ • NFC • FRS/GMRS/MURS • GPS + GLONASS • Accelerometer • Gyroscope • Magnetometer • Temperature • Barometer • Humidity • Anemometer • AM/FM/SW/LW • IR blaster • 20+ hour battery • 20" usb lanyard • 303 grams (10.8 oz) • 183mm x 121mm x 15mm (7.2" x 4.75" x 0.6"winking smiley
May 11, 2013 04:42AM
And there is this:

Earl was designed with the weekend backpacker in mind. With a 3000mAh battery, Earl battery lasts around 20 hours. Data logging intervals and sensors can be settings can be changed to increase battery life. Use the attached solar panel to keep Earl charged on the go.

A solar panel adds weight and volume.

No thanks.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
May 11, 2013 07:57AM
balzaccom
A solar panel adds weight and volume.
No thanks.
In theory, yes but it depends on what you're comparing it to. Compared to my iPad2, for example, this IS 0.26" thicker but it's smaller in the other dimensions and about half the weight (10oz vs. about 21oz). There's a bit of marketing-speak in their justification for leaving out a camera ("We designed Earl to last for years to come. Current smart device cameras are expensive and constantly evolving. So opted to exclude this from Earl's current design."winking smiley but if I were looking to carry a tablet on my hikes (and I'm not, particularly), I'd give serious consideration to this one...especially at the pre-release price of $249.
avatar Re: Earl Backcountry Survival Tablet
May 11, 2013 04:37PM
The design is actually pretty brilliant imo.

10oz includes the built in solar panel.

Is it only monotone though? Big mistake.

10oz is crazy light for such a device.

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 14, 2013 08:56AM
chick-on

Don't like to watch The Bachelorette in grayscale?
May 14, 2013 09:20AM
These are the only survival tablets I need. I go out into the wilderness to get away from electronics, not bring them with me.
May 14, 2013 10:09AM
Agree. Anyone who brings electronics into the wilderness is a idiot/tourist/touron.

I go to enjoy the stars from inside my tent in fall when it's raining and the sun set at 5pm.

May 14, 2013 10:15AM
Bearproof
chick-on

Here's some grayscale for ya:

(purty sure I watch even crappier TV than that though)
(by that I mean Bachelorette... not my butt)

tongue sticking out smiley

(and for those keeping track at home... I def. need some form of noise reduction when on trip with Bearpoof...
gotta cut out all the whining and whimpering from over yonder)

(and also... don't take any of this very serious)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2013 10:17AM by chick-on.
May 14, 2013 11:12AM
chick-on
Bearproof
chick-on

(and for those keeping track at home... I def. need some form of noise reduction when on trip with Bearpoof...
gotta cut out all the whining and whimpering from over yonder)

(and also... don't take any of this very serious)

haha they definitely need to come up with a color version of the Earl...in your greyscale picture I can't tell your head from your...oh, never mind winking smiley
May 14, 2013 01:39PM
chick-on
Bearproof
chick-on

A whale eating an eagle?
May 14, 2013 06:41PM
Do you take pictures of your chicken's butt on every trip just in case they might come in handy?

"Earl" actually sounds kind of cool, still reading through the verbiage though. Adding an MP3/etc-format play feature would be killer.
May 14, 2013 10:39PM
Sometimes I forget to. Alvin/Albert/Alan OVD been giving me a hard time...
So I tried to remember... esp since he was invited... guess he had some lame excuse
of having to work or something...

He still owes me 200 dollas for rollin snake eyes btw.

As for Earl... I think it has MP3/etc... since it's an Android device... at least that is what
it alludes to... You would think they would drive that home... but maybe it's a dumbed
down version with just these "survival" things in it... sorry... but I need my TV to survive
out there... well... ok I don't need it... but it's kinda nice to have... I can only stare at the
stars and contemplate life for so long...

May 15, 2013 12:51PM
chick-on

This is an NCIS screenshot. Bird farted, water turned yellow, a bear died from the fowl stench. Typical b/w screen before commercial break. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2013 12:53PM by Ohnivy-Drak.
May 16, 2013 05:59PM
Okay. I've lurked enough... Been enjoying reading the site for a while now...

I'm Basilbop's wife. I am a gear junkie... Trying to avoid any more new (and mostly unnecessary) goodies, though. Love the gear if it makes me happier/safer out there. You have been warned....

Thanks to qumqats for the heads up on Earl... after reading about this for a bit, and sloshing through the questions and answers to glean more info (until i got smart and found a way to have the system burp all the answers up for me on a webpage so I could read quickly and search..) we just ordered one in Snow, but if all goes well, they are thinking of making other colors (requests for high vis units have already been made) and I'd switch to a bright yellow, hi-vis green or orange, in a heartbeat. The answer in the questions forum indicated they will do a final poll with the final colors for the backers and we can change color requests before they ship. Again, crossing fingers! smiling smiley

I really hope they hit their target and produce. I'm curious to see how well the hardware works and how creative folks are with the software. We've enjoyed our Nexus 7 in the backcountry, and though we'd be giving up color, we've always enjoyed e-ink screens in daylight and some of the testing Basilbop did with maps on a Kindle a while back indicated it could work quite well. Sadly, with "real" work, he didn't have time to pursue it in more detail.

We are also amateur radio enthusiasts and carry little Yaesu VX-3Rs with us everywhere we go. In the backcountry, we've found them invaluable when we deliberately separate on/off the trail. Apparently, the Earl team says they "plan" on releasing a true amateur radio-capable unit (different transceiver, I'm guessing only 2m, but that's a good start) in the future. We decided to order one now, anyway. The comm features it does have will probably be useful out of the box. But c'mon... if it's 2m and someone writes a good SDR for it... yummy!

Oh, and they confirmed the battery will be replaceable. Not easy to do in the field, but they will sell a DIY kit, or do it for you for a fee.

If any of you end up getting one (assuming all goes well with the crowd-funding and development), I would LOVE to hear what you think when you start using it!
May 16, 2013 09:47PM
Glad u enjoy. It's much better when there is give and take.

(can't say how many times say to self ... 'self wutt ewe dewing? if want to talk to self... could just write own website/blog thingie' )

Hopefully they make it for you... and you get it... and love it..

And then they make it in purple... so that Bearpoof will have to get one for his wife.

Did you pay the extra for the better res. maps?
I'm not sold. Gotta have colour. smiling smiley

I am warming to that solar panel thingie Basil has been carrying though.
Need to figure if much better than the Solio classic..

May 17, 2013 09:40AM
Balzacomm: solar charger: up, extra weight, but they are working on allowing Earl to charge other devices from its battery. And as Chick-on states, even with the solar charger, it's 10.8 ounces. They say they are using 18% efficient monocrystalline solar cells, so it should be equivalent to the performance of the Goal Zero panels and the like. The panel can't charge devices directly by itself, the regulator is in the body of Earl... I say it's handy enough and if the entire package is 10.8 ounces, I'm willing to try..

chick-on: Yah, I do hope we get it!

Re: Solio. We did not enjoy it. Returned it. The one we are carrying now is a Goal Zero 3.5 solar panel. Basilbop actually received a larger one, the Nomad 7 kit for Christmas from a friend, and then promptly found the little 3.5 panel that he is carrying at an REI scratch and dent sale (no battery, but works with almost any). You can charge almost any USB battery device with it. NOTE: my iPhone 5 does not like to charge directly from the panel. We charge a little 2600mAh Tenergy "power bank" and the iPhone happily feeds from the power bank. In fact, all the little rechargeable devices can feed from the little power bank. So... if they do manage to let Earl charge other devices, and Earl's solar panel works.. we can chuck a few other items and move into the Earl and save further weight. (Battery packs capable of recharging a full size iPad are too heavy for us! So is the full size iPad!)

Re: Maps.. No, we did not buy the 24K map pack on the 32 GB microSD card. The unit can handle up to 64 GB cards, and if they use a particular brand of map, my bird isn't going to be pleased. I guess I should ask them directly which map pack they will be distributing. They will support other map sources, however, so we decided to wait on that. If we can get he map source we want, and put it on a 64 GB card, that makes more sense to us. Also, since the promise is that we get to enjoy the 30% discount on all future purchases for hardware or accessories, then we can buy the map pack later for the same amount, so we are only out a bit of time. Basilbop really likes Gaia on our various toys because it supports multiple map sources... Here's hoping Earl delivers on that front.

Re: Color.. Sadly, color e-ink screens are not ready yet. There is hard work being done on that front, but not yet. I'm an e-ink fan for durability, long battery life, high-contrast, sun and polartized lens-readable screens with no eyestrain. Earl is backlit, which is nice at night. Basilbop put some maps on the kindle and we decided we could easily read the maps. The contour lines are clear. We'll have to see in the field so to say if we really end up missing color, but for our intended purposes, I'm not concerned. I much prefer reading books on my Kindle than any other device.

ttilley: it's Open Source - go to town to write a photo app to change that pink bird butt into Yos falls! I'd buy it! smiling smiley
RE: Music - and it can play MP3s.

It's based on Android 4.1 and will ship with Google Play so you can add Google Play Store apps. Have at it!

I just hope they execute the concept well!....
May 20, 2013 05:35PM
chick-on

And then they make it in purple... so that Bearpoof will have to get one for his wife.
quote]

When it has a screen with "purple scale" then I will be sold.
May 16, 2013 09:54PM
Did they mention anything about software that detects images containing pink bird butt and replaces said images with views of Yosemite falls?
May 24, 2013 09:19AM
Yay! Earl is fully funded as of today, with 17 days left to go! They've been listening to feedback ... worked with a radio engineer and it sounds like they'll be adding SDR, and amateur frequencies for licensed amateur radio users, and an external antenna connector. Makes me happy! Here's hoping it all happens/works!
June 01, 2013 07:44PM
I'm in
snow with 24k maps
updates to come as they occur

8 days to go for pre-order
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login