All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Rabies--In skunks, bison, horses, kittens, raccoons, foxes...
July 06, 2013 06:33PM
Kitten with rabies bites 8, is first feline case for Larimer County health department
Jul. 6, 2013 4:32 PM
Written by
Isa Jones
The Coloradoan

A kitten that bit eight people is the first confirmed case of rabies in a cat in Larimer County in at least 45 years.
The news has the Larimer County health department warning pet owners to get their animals vaccinated in the wake of rabies’ spread.
The kitten, which lived on rural property north of Fort Collins, was euthanized after biting both a veterinarian who treated it and members of the family that owned it, according to a news release from the health department.
The kitten was being treated by the veterinarian for neurological issues when it bit the vet. The vet submitted it for rabies testing, and the kitten was euthanized and confirmed to have rabies by CSU Veterinary Diagnostics Lab.

In May 2012, skunks became the most common source of rabies in Larimer County, a distinction previously held by bats, according to the health department. Rabies has also been confirmed in bison, raccoons and foxes in past years. A horse on the border of Weld and Larimer counties died in June, one of several statewide horse deaths due to rabies.

http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20130706/NEWS01/307060018/Kitten-with-rabies-bites-8-is-first-feline-case-for-Larimer-County-health-department
avatar Re: Rabies--In skunks, bison, horses, kittens, raccoons, foxes...
July 06, 2013 09:32PM
And do you know what mammal has a low background incidence of rabies? Less than one percent. Bats.
Re: Rabies--In skunks, bison, horses, kittens, raccoons, foxes...
July 11, 2013 07:19PM
I love bats. They do get a bad rap... And very worried about white nose fungus... That pic! Too bad the little guy isn't in sharper focus. How utterly adorable... Yes, some bats might look funny, but I find most are adorable. I also love reptiles and amphibians and think our little brood of modern-day dinosaurs are the cutest ever. Yup, I'm parent-proud of our psittacines! And some would say a bit "touched"...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2013 07:22PM by JustKeepWalking.
July 11, 2013 07:37PM
I have several bat houses, of my own design, around my place. I can't seem to find the right place to put them. Maybe the bats don't like my style of architecture?

I love sitting on my porch at night with the light on. The bats zip right through catching all the bugs attracted by the light.
Re: Rabies--In skunks, bison, horses, kittens, raccoons, foxes...
July 11, 2013 07:50PM
That's awesome you've done that! Never thought of doing that. And now it seems like an obvious thing to look into... When we finally get to landscaping, I want quail and lizard-friendly plants... Bat houses... Maybe should take to a PM but I'm seriously interested in learning more...

Some of my fondest memories are of evenings falling to sleep in the Sierras watching the bats fly over me having a buggy feast. I cheer them on quietly in my head and truly remember falling asleep smiling...
July 12, 2013 01:22AM
Dave
I love sitting on my porch at night with the light on. The bats zip right through catching all the bugs attracted by the light.

There was a night I was sitting in a hot spring. The bugs were flying around and the bats were having a feast less than a foot from by head.
July 11, 2013 08:28PM
that cat bit eight people?!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login