Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (72% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Grand Canyon Web Cam

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

February 06, 2009 04:44PM
February 06, 2009 05:50PM
TOOOO COOOOL!!!

So now I can peek at both my haunts (Yosemite/Grand Canyon) when I am supposed to be working...!

B
February 06, 2009 07:04PM
Working? Like anybody still has a job these days?

February 06, 2009 07:58PM
I haven't fired myself yet(self employed)....but.....I AM starting a third career as a bill collector...

B
February 06, 2009 08:25PM
Bee wrote:

> I AM
> starting a third career as a bill collector...

Just heard a story today about outsourcing collections to India.

February 06, 2009 09:39PM
The web cam earlier (when the sun was up) said "visibility 223 miles"

Is that possible from the rim? I thought it was pretty good to stand on Lassen and see Mount Rose from over 100 miles away, I hear from Mount Rose on a nice day you can see Mount Shasta, and I guess on a good day from Mount Whitney you can see approaching 200 miles to a peak in central Nevada. But those are peak to peak. What about 223 at Grand Canyon? I'd like to see that! (looking at stars doesn't count)
February 08, 2009 04:49PM
Vince wrote:

> The web cam earlier (when the sun was up) said "visibility 223
> miles" Is that possible from the rim?

I would guess that it rather depends on what one has been smoking.

From a purely geometrical viewpoint and ignoring any topographic variation between an observer and an object 223 miles distant (i.e., the objects at both locations are on the surface of a sphere; alternatively speaking, both are at the same elevation), one would need a mountain to be ~27.5k feet high in order to be seen. Since the South Rim is around 7k elevation, our mountain 223 miles distant would have to be 34.5k high in order to be visible. (Almost assuredly, we would have noticed this mountain.)

Allowing for reasonable over-the-geometric–horizon refraction (notably the 20% estimated correction factor to the radius of the earth stated in the first link below), one would need an elevation differential of ~22.5k to see a mountain 223 miles distant; this would make our mountain elevation 29.5k to be visible from the South Rim. (Hmmm, still higher than Everest.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizon
https://www.msu.edu/~ashton/research/pubs/aag_08_viewshed.pdf

The “Distance of the Horizon” calculator in the following link is useful if you don’t want to bother doing the calculations by hand. [Note: this calculator does not apply any refraction correction; either multiply the calculated distance by 1.10 = √1.20 or add 10% to the calculated distance to obtain the refraction-corrected estimate.]
http://www.nga.mil/portal/site/maritime/?epi_menuItemID=eb404b8cc4b240c21b2079106327a759&epi_menuID=0feacf38cf96a8b21b2079106327a759&epi_baseMenuID=e106a3b5e50edce1fec24fd73927a759

If you want to amuse yourself, you can use the calculator to convince yourself that if you were standing on a mountain at the 7k elevation of the South Rim, you would only need the peak at 223 miles to be either ~6.7k high in order to be visible (no refraction) or ~4.5k (refraction-corrected).

I suspect that the Visual Range number quoted in the webcam link is estimated from instrumentation similar to that described here:
http://phoenixvis.net/instrumentation.html
[Lacking all the high tech. equipment, one should be able to arrive at a similar number by measuring the relative intensity of a couple landmarks, provided one knows the distances to them, their relative or absolute albedos, and they are being equally illuminated (equal sunlight or cloud cover). Hey! Photoshop may be useful for something after all.]

Yes, this is how I’ve spent my Sunday afternoon. It’s raining here (Silverado, CA) too and this is my way of avoiding doing any useful work.

Post Edited (02-08-09 16:55)

THE YOSEMITE POST
Voice of the Rocky Marmot Empire
February 09, 2009 06:54PM
Vince,

Go get your truck stuck again. You need to get some fresh air.

Jim
February 06, 2009 10:48PM
eeek:>>Just heard a story today about outsourcing collections to India.<<

I like the personal touch; it keeps the recidivism down to a low roar.

B
February 07, 2009 01:42PM
Bee,

The two sectors still hiring are the health field and the US Government. There are jobs available as US Revenue Officers collecting taxes. Go for it, Bee.

Jim
February 06, 2009 10:57PM
Vince: >>I hear from Mount Rose on a nice day you can see Mount Shasta,<<

Sometimes in late winter, there are times when you get atmospheric conditions that magnify the horizon, so you can see Lassen or Shasta from the Northern Sierra foothills. As far as 200 mi vis at Grand Canyon, the best chance of that is after a cold winter storm when the chaser winds blow everything out.

B
February 07, 2009 04:34PM

tomdisco>>The two sectors still hiring are the health field and the US Government. There are jobs available as US Revenue Officers collecting taxes. Go for it, Bee.<<

So funny -- my best buddy is a retired assistant to the Chief Counsel of the IRS Tax Court, and he was the one who trained me in collections technique!! He said that my record is better than any of his agents (Im at 95% -- I have this one outstanding account that I collected 2/3 yesterday, and I am promised the balance 3/1. I have not even had to use my last ditch line "You KNOW I served in the IDF...!!"winking smiley

B
February 08, 2009 02:49PM
Looks like the storm in California finally made it to Grand Canyon.

February 08, 2009 03:30PM
I cant tell, is that snow in the lower left corner of the image, or is it just the surface color?
B
February 08, 2009 05:12PM
Bee wrote:

> I cant tell, is that snow in the lower left corner of the
> image, or is it just the surface color?

It's a structure of some type. It was there before the storm hit.

Re: Grand Canyon Web Cam
February 10, 2009 08:18AM
Cool, fresh snow in the canyon this morning.
February 10, 2009 08:46AM
Looks SO beautiful!

Thanks for adding this little perk to the form

B
February 10, 2009 10:44AM
Thanks for the above analysis, I figured visibility of 223 miles is a physical impossibility, especially taking into consideration the length of Grand Canyon is 277 miles. Even if you looked west and saw a certain distance, then looked east and saw something, and added them together, you probably couldn't see more than a 50-mile panorama at best.

I notice today (2/10, 10:43 a.m.) the visibility suddenly has dropped to 28 miles. That makes much more sense.
February 10, 2009 11:03AM
The Grand Canyon has always had that problem of the purplish haze from pollution. It probably comes from a variety of places, but supposedly one source is winds blowing in from Southern California. I've heard claims that they might get three days a year where you might find postcard-perfect conditions for air clarity.

February 10, 2009 11:09AM
When I used to hike in the East Bay, one of my favorite destinations was Mission Peak (a great place to view raptors and Hang Gliders)

after a winter storm the north winds would blow out all of the smog, etc, you could see the Sierra, Lassen, and Shasta from the 3,000+- peak. (On a rare occasion, you can see Shasta from highway 5 in the Sacramento area)

B
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login