All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

July 25, 2013 08:25PM
Around the 4th I went backpacking in New York's Adirondacks (after spending a couple nice but extradordinarily muggy days in New York which left me in doubt as to the region's habitability). I backpacked in the West Canada Lakes area of the Adirondacks. Pretty country. It was quite wet though...when I left I was delayed because the dirt road out was being rebuilt from a washout. eye popping smiley The forest was largely maple-beech northern hardwood, and there were lean-tos where one might spend the night without a tent (but with copious supplies of DEET).

The view from my hotel the night before I went hiking:

West Lake:

Sunrise at Cedar Lake:

More pictures here

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2013 08:26PM by ttilley.
Re: East Coast Hills
July 26, 2013 10:47AM
Thanks for posting. I miss the beauty of the east coast but not the bugs and humidity.
July 27, 2013 10:51AM
parklover
Thanks for posting. I miss the beauty of the east coast but not the bugs and humidity.

I just got back from doing some trail maintenance this morning in North Carolina. It was only 80 degrees (low for this time of year) but the humidity did a number on me.
July 27, 2013 08:31PM
I was born and raised in Pennsylvania and I never got used to the humidity. We did not have AC until I was 14 or 15 and on hot and humid summer nights, it was almost impossible to sleep.
July 28, 2013 01:15PM
parklover
I was born and raised in Pennsylvania and I never got used to the humidity. We did not have AC until I was 14 or 15 and on hot and humid summer nights, it was almost impossible to sleep.

I was born in California and never understood humidity until I started taking business trips in my 20s. Those trips really made me appreciate where I live.
July 28, 2013 10:19PM
As a California native, I got my first taste of real humid weather when I went to my cousin's wedding in Michigan when I was a teenager. Discovered that the lower peninsula of Michigan is just one mass of swampland. They basically drained swamps to create cities or farmland.

I also have a quite a few high school friends that after college moved East for various employment opportunities. Within 10 to 20 years, most have resettled back in California (or another low-humidity western state).

July 29, 2013 12:53PM
I left Pennsylvania for California in 1978 and some of my parent's friends still ask if I will move back. I can think of numerous reasons why not and one is the heat and humidity.
August 02, 2013 09:05PM
parklover
I left Pennsylvania for California in 1978 and some of my parent's friends still ask if I will move back. I can think of numerous reasons why not and one is the heat and humidity.

Ah, yes, and who is nostalgic about the winters?? Filthy, icy, muddy, city snow!

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
August 03, 2013 11:14AM
The first snows were always exciting especially when I was younger. Then you would get to that part of winter where the snow was dirty and grey, the trees were without leaves and looked grey and the skies were grey and it was time for spring. I did not live in a city so I did not have to deal with city snow. However, I did have to walk almost a mile to the bus stop in snow storms with bitterly cold winds to get to my bus stop to go to school. When it was really bad, my mom took us to the bus stop. Plus point - snow days when it snowed so hard that the schools closed but in the afternoon would clear and we would go sledding and build snow caves.

One thing I love about going to Yosemite in the winter is that it does not get as cold and I don't have to live in winter conditions everyday.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2013 11:16AM by parklover.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login