Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Wacky portable tent

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Wacky portable tent
August 12, 2013 07:06PM
Walking Shelter: Clever shoes hide a portable tent

Kimberley Mok
Design / Sustainable Product Design
August 10, 2013

From geometric caravans to homes in a cart, the idea of having a portable shelter wherever one travels can be an enticing one (depending on your disposition, of course). Australian design company Sibling has made what is probably the most provident of shoes, a pair of sneakers with an integrated shelter hidden in the back.

http://www.treehugger.com/sustainable-product-design/shoes-hide-portable-shelter-sibling.html
August 13, 2013 08:26AM
There seems to be a few problems; YOU are the central support. If you collapse, so does the tent. It allso appears that spreading your legs appart is what keeps the sides of the tent appart. I wonder what it weighs and would you want that weight on your feet?

I'll pass.
August 13, 2013 08:29AM
This strikes me as one of those concepts that, wacky as it seems at first blush, is not without practical applications. In this particular implementation, however (at least based on the pictures shown), it appears that your body is the only rigid support for the skin of the tent...in fact, it appears that this is nothing BUT the skin of the "tent." It's the support structure that would be the tricky bit...not a big deal with today's fabrics to get something in the shape of a tent that folds down to almost nothing but how do you support the thing?
August 15, 2013 06:58PM
DavidK42
This strikes me as one of those concepts that, wacky as it seems at first blush, is not without practical applications. In this particular implementation, however (at least based on the pictures shown), it appears that your body is the only rigid support for the skin of the tent...in fact, it appears that this is nothing BUT the skin of the "tent." It's the support structure that would be the tricky bit...not a big deal with today's fabrics to get something in the shape of a tent that folds down to almost nothing but how do you support the thing?

It appears that you have a "tent" as long as you can sit upright with your legs spread appart.
August 13, 2013 09:11AM
Another one of those "What were they thinking?" Not practical for hikers. Might be useful for homeless people but who is going to buy it for them.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login