All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

September 04, 2013 06:30PM
I originally planned to spend Labor Day weekend camping at Young Lakes and climbing Mt. Conness. With the smoke and the detour I replanned...and spent the weekend backpacking at Lassen.

First a couple pictures along the road...first, Mt. Lassen from Lake Helen. 6 miles from the winter closure point, this is on my winter to-do list...

Another roadside view of Lassen, this one Upper Meadow:

Along the trail...Lower Twin Lake:

Mt. Lassen from the slopes of Fairfield Peak, just north of Rainbow Lake (where I camped):

Cinder Cone:

It rained (no t-storms) solid from 5 to 7 Sunday, after which I got this double rainbow:

It then rained off-and-on for the night. No t-storms. The forecast was mostly sunny, 20% chance of t-storms.

More Lassen Pictures.
avatar Re: Labor Day at Lassen NP
September 04, 2013 06:40PM
Cool photos.

What were the day and nighttime temps in Lassen during your trip?

avatar Re: Labor Day at Lassen NP
September 04, 2013 06:44PM
As for night temps, I was comfortable with my 40 degree bag.

As for day, 70s probably, except Monday which was in the 50s. Day temps seem to have a quick warm-up phase around 9 or so, I noticed this from my car thermometer driving in. Dew points there were pretty low on Saturday. I've noticed a more pronounced effect at Lava Beds when I camped there - a couple hours after sunrise the temps rise quickly from morning low to afternoon high and stay there, almost bi-modal.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login