Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Vernel Fall, Merced River, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Sledding for kids where?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Sledding for kids where?
February 20, 2009 08:56AM
We're taking two grandkids (6 and 4) to the valley next Mon-Wed for a winter visit and snow fun. I know about the tubing area at Badger, and was trying to remember if there was any general 'snow play' area around there for sleds, etc. I've only been up to Badger Pass in winter a couple of times and not explored much. If there's something right there, we can just take the free shuttle up from the valley, maybe.

Or, anywhere near the valley, without having to go back to Fish Camp or Mariposa where you could slide down a hill or two? They're pretty young so don't need anything big, and an hour or two is probably all they'll keep at it, so if I can avoid a long drive from the Lodge it would be nice.

I'm thinking about the area around the 4-mile trail, where you walk from Southside drive to the trailhead, as I think it's somewhat open and slightly sloped...but don't know for sure. And if it rains instead of snows, we'll need to head up the hill anyway. Suggestions appreciated.

We originally were just going somewhere like Shaver Lake, but with my recent valley visit and how nice it was being there with the snow, figured why not be in Yosemite AND the snow? The kids both love Yosemite, especially the older one, but a winter visit is new to them.

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
avatar Re: Sledding for kids where?
February 20, 2009 11:26AM
Gary,
I don't think there is any projectile playing on the valley floor or pretty much anywhere else for that matter. There is a snow play area off of Big Oak Flat Road just west of the Tioga Road junction. There is probably some signage. Sleds or tobagans may not be allowed there though.

Old Dude
February 20, 2009 12:49PM
There's one just outside the park near Fish Camp.

February 20, 2009 02:44PM
Sierrafan wrote:

> We're taking two grandkids (6 and 4) to the valley next Mon-Wed
> for a winter visit and snow fun. I know about the tubing area
> at Badger, and was trying to remember if there was any general
> 'snow play' area around there for sleds, etc. I've only been
> up to Badger Pass in winter a couple of times and not explored
> much. If there's something right there, we can just take the
> free shuttle up from the valley, maybe.

Supposedly a no-go at Badger Pass, although I'm not clear on the specific definition of the area covered by the rule. I'm not sure how well this is enforced either. Is there a specific area where snow play is authorized?

http://www.nps.gov/yose/parkmgmt/upload/compendium-2008-2.1-all-122807.pdf

>• When Badger Pass Ski Area concession is operating, it is closed to nonauthorized snow play (sled, inner tube, and toboggan) activities.
>36 CFR § 1.5(a)(2); 36 CFR § 1.5(f)
>
>Sledding is not compatible with downhill skiing, and poses a hazard to both visitors sledding and other ski area visitors.
February 20, 2009 04:04PM
y_p_w wrote:
> >• When Badger Pass Ski Area concession is operating, it is
> closed to nonauthorized snow play (sled, inner tube, and
> toboggan) activities.

That makes sense that they don't want people running around the ski slopes, just wondered if there were open areas nearby, but maybe not.

I did find something about sledding/tobogganing at the Crane Flat campground, which would be in the 'west of Tioga Road' category, so maybe we'll try that, or the drive to Fish Camp is another alternative.

Or, perhaps the tubes at Badger will be enough for them. Last time (March) an hour of tubing was all the 6-year-old wanted, then off to something else. I just assumed there'd be some small slope somewhere that a sled would work on.

Gary
February 27, 2009 03:37PM
I did a little research and found what the (designated) tubing area referenced was.

http://www.yosemitepark.com/BadgerPass_Tubing.aspx

$11 for 2 hours doesn't sound too bad. I suppose they also provide the equipment. It doesn't sound like they want people to bring sled though. I guess my biggest problem would be carrying that kind of equipment in my car.

February 20, 2009 06:36PM
This is not an official sledding area, and i don't necessarily recomend it. A lot of people take their young ones to an area by Mirror Lake between bus stop #17 and #18. The bad part is sometimes these kids get too aggressive and shoot across the road, the road where the shuttle buses travel.
February 20, 2009 08:07PM
Ssarka, thanks for the idea; now that you mention it, that sounds like it may be feasible, as I remember some hills in there and relatively open area.

These two are a bit young to worry about them getting aggressive at 4 and 6 (maybe in another couple of years...8^). We'll be there with them anyway. Definitely will give it a look when we get there.

I did find some reference to a place near the stables also, but haven't quite figured out exactly where yet. There used to be a sled/disc/toboggan area in Curry, but I guess not any more 8^(.

Eeek, don't you think the Mist trail is a little bumpy? The steps? I'm thinking the ice cut on the JMT up by Nevada Fall, there's even a wall there so I don't go sailing off 8^).

Or down the Snake Dike route on Half Dome. Last week there was snow all the way down...

Gary
February 20, 2009 08:44PM
Sierrafan wrote:

> Eeek, don't you think the Mist trail is a little bumpy?

I did it once when the gate was supposed to be closed. Bumpy it is but still plenty slippery when covered with clear ice.

> I'm thinking the ice cut on the JMT up by Nevada Fall,
> there's even a wall there so I don't go sailing off 8^).

Haven't seen it myself but I've heard the ice gets to be higher than the wall. Probalby why they close that section in the winter.

February 20, 2009 06:39PM
I suppose going around the gate and using the Mist Trail is out? winking smiley

February 21, 2009 04:04PM
We used to use the small hill to the southeast-ish of the Stables in the Valley for some limited snowplay, but that was more than 20 years ago. It is across from a shuttle stop, but I don't recall the number.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
February 21, 2009 04:08PM
Addendum: I think it was across the road from shuttle stop 18, if I read the map correctly.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
February 21, 2009 04:22PM
Thanks, that's in the same general area, so I think it must be the place to look first.

Of course, there's the road between the Mirror Lake shuttle stop and Mirror Lake...now THAT's a slope 8^)

Now, if the snow in the valley doesn't melt from rain within the next day or two...

Gary
February 27, 2009 04:44PM
I thought I saw a Snow Play Area near Crane Flat.

And by "Snow Play Area" I mean there was a sign that said "Snow Play Area".

Near the Crane Flat Campground. Can't miss it...

smiling smiley

Ok... me read the post completely and someone already mentioned it...

smiling smiley

Post Edited (02-27-09 16:51)

Everything I know I learned from Chick-on is looking at you!
February 27, 2009 06:30PM
OK, an update after a great winter trip to the valley.

There is indeed a snow play area at Crane Flat near the campground, and the tubing area at Badger Pass is using their tubes only. (We did the tube ride back in March, and it was so slow you needed to push the tubes most of the way...not to mention that 4-6 year olds usually only last an hour or maybe 2 at most. Not a bad deal pricewise, but a long chains-required drive or bus ride).

However, we didn't need that because Frank's and Ssarka's idea of near the stables across the Mirror Lake road was perfect.

Despite Monday's rain, there was still lots of snow on the valley floor on Tuesday

(note the six year old having a blast, mom not so much 8^)

This spot would only work with a healthy and recent snowfall in the valley, so we hit it right. It does indeed empty out on the bus road, but flattening on the bottom and the mound made by the snowplow serves as a buffer (we did mange to jump it once, but with virtually no traffic, no big deal). It worked out great because we only had one full day in the valley (and two half-days), and a ride to Badger would have pretty much used up a whole day.

I did see some other possibilities near the four mile trailhead, but didn't investigate very close...there are lots of trees, so there may or may not be a clearing.

I was hoping for fresh snowfall while we were there, but instead we had a perfect sunny short-sleeve day on Tuesday, with the valley covered with snow (but thinning fast).

True to form, around sunset the clouds rolled in, and I could hear the groan from the El Cap picnic grounds clear to the Lodge (firefall would-be observers). Had it stayed clear until 5, I was going to head from our sledding hill down to Cathedral beach and watch from there, but it became obvious it wasn't going to happen.

Thanks for all the responses, it worked out great.

Post Edited (02-27-09 19:35)

Gary
February 27, 2009 07:03PM
Great pic's!

-- Carl Sagan
February 19, 2014 12:54PM
Will have to check out the area by the stables next year. No snow this time around.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login