Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (81% of Full)

nordvpn

Advanced

Re: Comet Lulin

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

February 23, 2009 09:49PM
Anybody else spot the comet tonight?

February 24, 2009 06:19PM
Hmmm, 8600' with clear skies. Where could that be?

Old Dude
February 24, 2009 10:13PM
I live under the polluted skies of Truckee Meadows. Sorry. I didn't even bother to try, here in Sparks I'm lucky to see maybe 10 stars from my apartment balcony.
February 25, 2009 06:21AM
I went out last night about 10:30 EST with a tiny pair of 8 x24mm binoculars under light polluted Raleigh skies. This was just a quickie look but I soon realized even at 8x the binoculars require steadying by holding them against something that does not move. Saturn was plainly visible and a bit to the right and below was another object that looked fuzzy with a bright core to it, presumably Lulin. At first I was not sure whether I was seeing Lulin or one of two other stars of similar magnitude in the area, 77 Sigma or 63 Chi. The terrible seeing conditions here are very limiting. Eventally I figured out that no star would be accompanied by the fuzziness I was seeing so that definitely was Lulin.

Use of a telescope or binoculars on a mount is required to observe this object in any meaningful detail IMHO.

Jim
February 26, 2009 09:33AM
>Hmmm, 8600' with clear skies. Where could that be?

Huh? TM?

You get snow-cat'd up to Tioga Pass then ski in?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login