Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (56% of Full)

Advanced

Filmmaker Ken Burns turns his lens on national parks

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Filmmaker Ken Burns turns his lens on national parks
March 06, 2009 12:06PM
this ought to be good!!
-----------------------------------

For more than two decades, Ken Burns and his longtime colleague Dayton Duncan have journeyed from their homes in Walpole, New Hampshire, in search of the heart of America. Together, the two friends have worked on documentaries about the Civil War, baseball, jazz, Lewis and Clark, Mark Twain and other national hallmarks.

With their next documentary -- "The National Parks: America's Best Idea" -- the filmmakers take on their greenest project yet, delving into the often-contentious history of our 58 national parks while probing the notion that our best landscapes should be preserved for everyone.

Like I always say, "if you can't laugh at yourself, let me do it".

My Yosemite Blog: http://yosemiteforrest.blogspot.com/
avatar Re: Filmmaker Ken Burns turns his lens on national parks
March 06, 2009 02:34PM
I guess people have been seeing Burns around this and that National Park, mainly around sunrises. Should be an epic series! Comes out in Sept.
avatar Re: Filmmaker Ken Burns turns his lens on national parks
March 06, 2009 04:56PM
Secretary Salazar Lauds Upcoming Ken Burns’ PBS Series on National Parks
Burns and Duncan Made Honorary Park Rangers

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar lauded the upcoming PBS series on the national parks, The National Parks: America’s Best Idea, at a premiere showing at the Capitol Visitor’s Center Thursday evening, March 5.

He announced that director Ken Burns and co-producer Dayton Duncan were made honorary park rangers at the Department of the Interior earlier in the day after meeting with the Secretary.

“Their park series tells the story of a distinctly American idea,” said Salazar. “The parks belong to all Americans. For this reason, they not only chronicle our history, but are living symbols of democracy at work.”

The Secretary also indicated that the film series would help showcase the current needs and opportunities in our nation’s parks.

“The Recovery Act that President Obama signed, and that we are working to swiftly and wisely implement, will allow us to invest $750 million in our national parks and get our economy moving again,” he said.

The event was hosted by WETA-TV, the National Parks Conservation Association, the National Park Foundation and the Public Broadcasting Service. The six-part series begins September, 2009 on PBS channels.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login