Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (85% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Helmet!

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Helmet!
April 12, 2014 11:14AM
Yeah...I had a bad one in Italy this week, and here's what I learned from the experience.

I was lucky. I should be fine, and able to backpack this summer with no real issues. But I look even worse than usual.

Lessons learned:

Wear a helmet.stupid! With a helmet I would have walked away from this crash. I have ridden over 52,000 miles on a bike in the last ten years or so, and only ridden without a helmet about twice, And that's all it took.

Stay at a good hotel. They were solicitous beyond belief, and efficient as well. I felt fully and totally cared for.

Have friends and clients in Italy. They were wonderful, and really went out of their way to make sure that I was OK.

Wear a helmet, stupid.

If you want the whole gory story, here's a link to our blog:

https://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home/our-blog

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
April 12, 2014 04:55PM
My wife and I were very active in a local bicycle club when we met (in fact, that's how we met). We heard some really sad stories of people who "just this once" left the helmet off and, well, let's just say many of them were much less lucky than you...even in seemingly minor crashes. We very quickly got the point and became strong advocates for helmets.

Glad you'e OK..."uglier than usual" we can live with! tongue sticking out smiley
April 12, 2014 06:26PM
DavidK42
My wife and I were very active in a local bicycle club when we met (in fact, that's how we met). We heard some really sad stories of people who "just this once" left the helmet off and, well, let's just say many of them were much less lucky than you...even in seemingly minor crashes. We very quickly got the point and became strong advocates for helmets.

Glad you'e OK..."uglier than usual" we can live with! tongue sticking out smiley

Me too, given the alternative!~

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
April 12, 2014 06:16PM
Glad to hear that you survived your bike crash with just minor injuries. And glad to hear that so many people came to your aid in Italy.

Wishing you a speedy full recovery.

Take care.
April 12, 2014 09:12PM
$127. Isn't a national health care system marvelous? Italy has the second best health care system in the WORLD, right behind France.
April 14, 2014 05:44PM
I wonder how much the goods and services obtained are worth. I would guess much more than $127. So who paid for the excess?
April 14, 2014 07:26PM
chicagocwright
I wonder how much the goods and services obtained are worth. I would guess much more than $127. So who paid for the excess?
Our friends, the Italians, paid the extra. I've heard several stories from people that were injured hiking or skiing in Europe. The $127 in Italy was the most I've heard of anyone having to pay. One person was reimbursed for the dost of a few extra days they had to spend in their hotel in order to be well enough to fly home. That's how a good health care system works.
April 14, 2014 08:24PM
Dave
That's how a good health care system works.

Someone else pays the bills? TINSTAAFL.
April 14, 2014 09:13PM
chicagocwright
Dave
That's how a good health care system works.
Someone else pays the bills? TINSTAAFL.
No, that is not how it works. Never has, never will.
April 14, 2014 09:27PM
Every Italian kicked in a few cents.

Old Dude
April 25, 2014 11:44AM
I lived and worked in Italy over a 5 year period, and I cannot say enough nice things about the healthcare system (cannot say anything nice about how folks are unable to que up, though!)

So many medications are available over the counter + you can see a doctor almost immediately if you have any sort of mishap (anybody been to "Emergency" in the US, lately???)

I also used to race bicycles, and I still keep an exploded helmet/pieces in a bag as a reminder (better it than my head)

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
April 25, 2014 11:52AM
Bee
(anybody been to "Emergency" in the US, lately???)

Yes, and they took me in quickly. But I was in anaphylaxis.
April 25, 2014 01:38PM
Spurting blood helps too.

Old Dude
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login