Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

Re: March Snow Survey Results

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar March Snow Survey Results
March 09, 2009 03:37PM
The March 1 snow surveys recorded 90% of average water content for the Tuolumne drainage and 84% of average for the Merced drainage, with a maximum depth of 9 1/2 feet of snow at Grace Meadow.

avatar Re: March Snow Survey Results
March 09, 2009 05:57PM
I heard on the radio today that we will need to be at 140% to be "okay" this year. They explained that we had to make up for the near-empty reservoirs (like Lake Don Pedro) in order to attain "normal" status. Of course, if we get THAT much rain and snow, than everyone will be under avalanches or floodwater.

B
March 09, 2009 06:42PM
Bee wrote:

> I heard on the radio today that we will need to be at 140% to
> be "okay" this year.

Perhaps the water planners need to go back to school and learn what average actually means?

March 09, 2009 06:18PM
Well, it beats the 40% of average or whatever you guys had at the end of January.
March 09, 2009 09:25PM
But we're a little behind. Boca and Stampede reservoirs are pretty close to empty, even with a 100 percent snowpack these lakes won't recover anytime soon, and Lake Tahoe won't be allowed to go much below where it is now before the people who own the government and live there start screaming. Bee's right, 140 percent would help a great deal, we're not in a drought because of natural causes...we simply have too many people who don't live in the Sierra taking almost all of its water.
March 09, 2009 09:52PM
Vince:>we simply have too many people who don't live in the Sierra taking almost all of its water<

Egg-zackly!!! There is a community called "El Dorado Hills" not too far from me, and its been proven over and again: there is no groundwater for this community, so they must rely exclusively on Folsom lake, which relies entirely on the American River, which gets all her water from..yup...Sierra. Even tho I went on a huge rant about global warming, I am in complete agreement that most of the UN-natural disaster about drought is man-made.

B
March 09, 2009 09:56PM
It's a matter of time before desalinization comes to a California coast near you, powered by crude oil from the rigs off shore.

CA won't have a choice.
March 09, 2009 10:03PM
I thought that So-Cal gave desalinization a try?

B
March 10, 2009 10:23PM
I always though desalinization would be a good candidate for wind power application but apparently it requires tremedous amounts of energy and is also poor in efficiency in that most of the original water is discharged back into the sea.

Jim
March 10, 2009 11:16PM
I think you have to boil the water as if you're cooking whiskey mash, and recover the pure water out of a cooling coil, and in your boiling pot is left over all the minerals (mainly salt). It's very inefficient and therefore not done on a large scale, but all of the Persian Gulf states use it out of necessity (plus they can afford it).

A water world we live on and we don't have enough water, and we're not smart enough to figure out how to get it. Maybe we should do some stem cell experiments and genetically engineer gills?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login