All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Hiking to El Cap via Yosemite Falls trail
March 11, 2009 11:09PM
Is there an official (or unofficial) way of getting to the top of El Cap hiking west from the top of the Yosemite Falls trail. One resource casually mentioned "Hike west toward El Cap from the top of the Yosemite Fall trail", but once again, the two trail books that I have do not mention this junction. I asked someone about it in the valley, and he mentioned that there was an "unimproved" gravelly trail that went to El Cap. Anyone know?

B
avatar Re: Hiking to El Cap via Yosemite Falls trail
March 11, 2009 11:22PM
Anything wrong with using the trail?

April 29, 2009 02:23AM
HEY, BEAR!

IT'S OVER HERE!!!

[Note: Please see lead-in post at April 29, 2009 02:15 AM on "Chasing a bear" thread... and all other 6k references to this thread.]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2009 02:55AM by szalkowski.
April 29, 2009 08:48AM
szalkowski
HEY, BEAR!

IT'S OVER HERE!!!

[Note: Please see lead-in post at April 29, 2009 02:15 AM on "Chasing a bear" thread... and all other 6k references to this thread.]

*groan*

B
April 29, 2009 11:46AM
szalkowski
HEY, BEAR!

IT'S OVER HERE!!!

Rolling on floor laugh
April 29, 2009 01:43PM
szalkowski
Please see ... and all other 6k references to this thread.]

Is that 6000?
or
6144?

Cause if it's 6144 then probably she is gonna wanna sting you.
If it's only 6000... ah... that's probably ok.
March 11, 2009 11:31PM
EEEK:Anything wrong with using the trail?

(As I throw the book across the room) What trail? Is there a specific trail to El Capitan from the Valley floor? I even Googled "Hiking El Capitan" and came up with this cockamamie "go west from the top of Yosemite Falls trail". It seemed to me that this would be a common destination, but info has eluded me.

B
March 11, 2009 11:36PM
There's a trail from El Capitan to the Yosemite Falls trail. It's even shown on Google maps:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=37.739635,-119.624333&spn=0.058644,0.104113&z=14

March 11, 2009 11:43PM
Bee wrote:

> EEEK:Anything wrong with using the trail?
>
> (As I throw the book across the room) What trail?

Throw it further, as into the trash, and check your topo map.

If you take the trail to the top of Yosemite Falls, follow the trail N up Yosemite Creek and you will come to a trail tee intersection after a mile or so (can't be more specific at the moment since I'm away from home and my maps). This trail goes W toward El Cap and there is also a spur that takes you to Eagle Peak.
March 11, 2009 11:38PM
Re: Hiking to El Cap via Yosemite Falls trail
February 10, 2010 03:45PM
eeek
Looks better in the terrain view:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=37.738616,-119.624033&spn=0.058645,0.104113&t=p&z=14

Hmmm... just checked that link. What am I doing wrong -- all I see are the roads, but no trails.

Thanks!
March 11, 2009 11:58PM
My google search was an unsophisticated(surprise) general search, so it did not generate any maps (only layman commentary). Just pulled out a sectional -- yes -- I DO see the trail, Old Stage rd., and Eagle Peak. Sigh. New book in the garbage; old book has the sectional (but never mentions the trail, specifically in the book itself). Thanks.

B
March 12, 2009 12:26AM
Years ago (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth) I dropped a friend off at Tamarack campground and picked him up at the gas station (i.e. Camp 4). He doesn't seem to want to hike quite that far in a day anymore.

March 12, 2009 12:40AM
eeek: >He doesn't seem to want to hike quite that far in a day anymore<

hmmm...I have been looking at that same topo since digging it out....Tamarack to Camp 4? Maybe he had a bad night...

B
March 12, 2009 02:02AM
Bee wrote:

> hmmm...I have been looking at that same topo since digging it
> out....Tamarack to Camp 4? Maybe he had a bad night...

It was a dayhike.

March 12, 2009 08:02AM
I did a lot of research into doing this trail for last year's trip. I decided against it only after realizing I had let too much time pass and hadn't gotten the stuff together that I'd need for such a long hike. I regret not doing it after having heard about the views along the Yosemite Falls trail and the view from on top of Eagle.
March 12, 2009 08:34AM
My map shows 3.5 miles from the trail junction to the top of El Cap (4+ if you take the Eagle Peak spur. Add that to about 3.8 from Camp 4 to the junction. For a dayhike from the valley, that's a respectable hike, (~15mi.) especially when you consider the upper falls trail. A lot of people start out planning to go to the top of the falls, and end up with Columbia Rock or the Upper falls base view as their limit, as it's a very "up" and rocky trail.

From Tamarack, coming down that steep falls trail after such a long hike, I could see why he wouldn't want to repeat that one.

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
March 12, 2009 10:29AM
Sierrafan wrote:

> My map shows 3.5 miles from the trail junction to the top of El
> Cap (4+ if you take the Eagle Peak spur. Add that to about 3.8
> from Camp 4 to the junction. For a dayhike from the valley,
> that's a respectable hike, (~15mi.) especially when you
> consider the upper falls trail. A lot of people start out
> planning to go to the top of the falls, and end up with
> Columbia Rock or the Upper falls base view as their limit, as
> it's a very "up" and rocky trail.

I tried that back in Dec 2005 with the intent to get to the bridge. It was raining and unseasonably warm (high 40s to low 50s). I was advised by a ranger that it would be best done wearing boots with ankle support. I did it with Gore-Tex trail runners; I've since learned how to choose more appropriate clothing for the conditions. I think I only made it halfway and well past Columbia Rock, but I started late in the day and made the mistake of wearing cotton clothing; it was a long-sleeve cotton T-shirt covered with a Gore-Tex shell, cotton socks, and jeans covered with waterproof-breathable rain/snow pants. I didn't get very wet from the outside, but I was clammy and miserable from the wet cotton. I didn't encounter any snow since I didn't get high enough. I saw one groups that was worse off than I was, including someone attempting it in leather-soled shoes. His son was gung-ho about it telling me that they were going to make it to the top. Well - I passed them, gave up halfway, and never saw them in either direction. I'm guessing they bailed.

I wasn't really in great shape and I had reservations in Reno that night. I actually went to Hetch Hetchy just before closing time before driving to Reno through a snowstorm. The drive to Hetch Hetchy was surreal, with sun, rain, snow, and sun again in the stretch of five minutes.

I managed it in Feb 2007, although I'd learned to wear poly clothing. I actually managed it with nylon pants and no gaiters (probably should have brought them along) postholing through the snow on the various paths near the top. I got some great shots from the bridge. The worst part for me was the descent. There was patchy snow all over the trail, and I kept on slipping on the granite. I think I fell on my butt at least three times.

March 12, 2009 08:42AM
dqniel: >I did a lot of research into doing this trail for last year's trip.<

I had a couple of false starts on pursuing this route. Neither of my trail books mention the El Cap portion of the route other than in passing. A lot of mention is made about the Yosemite Falls trail with a quick reference to Eagle Peak. The next closest "hike" that was described was a full view of the North Rim via a 30 mile backpack. As prudently suggested, I looked at a sectional and immediately saw that the El Cap trail links with the Yosemite Fall trail for what looks like a really interesting hike. Do you know the approx mileage? Usually, I like to start my research by reading up and THEN grabbing the Topo, (I hike alone, so I really like to read prior comments)

B
March 12, 2009 09:01AM
It's clearly on the Valley hikes map. This one is better than the old online version, which was just a fuzzy scan of a real map.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/valleyhikes1.pdf

It says 3.5 + 0.2 miles from Tamarack Flat Campground. From the valley floor it would be one heck of a dayhike, although I'm guessing not as bad on the knees as the round trip to get to Half Dome from Happy Isles.

March 12, 2009 09:23AM
Muir has a fantastic description of the route in "The Yosemite":
http://books.google.com/books?id=MHEUAAAAYAAJ&dq=muir+%22the+yosemite

Many years ago (when I was 25), inspired by Muir, I hiked the Yosemite Falls - Eagle Peak - edge of El Cap - rockslides trail - back to valley. (see pg. 261 of the PDF download edition of "The Yosemite".

It's about 20-24 miles, and I think it took me about 12-14 hours. Bring a water filter and headlamp.
March 12, 2009 02:20PM
vdrummer wrote:

> Muir has a fantastic description of the route in "The
> Yosemite":
> http://books.google.com/books?id=MHEUAAAAYAAJ&dq=muir+%22the+yosemite

Better place:

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/7091

One-Day Excursions

No. 2.

Another grand one-day excursion is to the Upper Yosemite Fall, the
top of the highest of the Three Brothers, called Eagle Peak on the
Geological Survey maps; the brow of El Capitan; the head of the Ribbon
Fall; across the beautiful Ribbon Creek Basin; and back to the Valley
by the Big Oak Flat wagon-road.

The trail leaves the Valley on the east side of the largest of the
earthquake taluses immediately opposite the Sentinel Rock and as it
passes within a few rods of the foot of the great fall, magnificent
views are obtained as you approach it and pass through its spray, though
when the snow is melting fast you will be well drenched. From the foot
of the Fall the trail zigzags up a narrow canyon between the fall and a
plain mural cliff that is burnished here and there by glacial action.

You should stop a while on a flat iron-fenced rock a little below the
head of the fall beside the enthusiastic throng of starry comet-like
waters to learn something of their strength, their marvelous variety of
forms, and above all, their glorious music, gathered and composed from
the snow-storms, hail-, rain- and wind-storms that have fallen on their
glacier-sculptured, domey, ridgy basin. Refreshed and exhilarated,
you follow your trail-way through silver fir and pine woods to Eagle
Peak, where the most comprehensive of all the views to be had on the
north-wall heights are displayed. After an hour or two of gazing,
dreaming, studying the tremendous topography, etc., trace the rim of
the Valley to the grand El Capitan ridge and go down to its brow, where
you will gain everlasting impressions of Nature's steadfastness and
power combined with ineffable fineness of beauty.

Dragging yourself away, go to the head of the Ribbon Fall, thence across
the beautiful Ribbon Creek Basin to the Big Oak Flat stage-road, and
down its fine grades to the Valley, enjoying glorious Yosemite scenery
all the way to the foot of El Capitan and your camp.

March 12, 2009 09:43AM
I did the Half Dome hike from the valley floor with some accidental detours as a day hike. The route we took with detours was probably about 20-22 miles. It was brutal because I was not in "hike 22 miles with 8-9k feet elevation change in one day" shape. I didn't feel like going through that again. That's why I didn't want to do it as a day hike.

I hope you do go through with it though... I know I wish I had.
March 12, 2009 09:57AM
dqniel :>I was not in "hike 22 miles with 8-9k feet elevation change in one day" shape.<

Yup, Ive done that sort of thing before. Some years back, I joined a group that hiked Half Dome from the Mist Trail. Funny thing was that they got all the way to Half Dome and bailed at the last minute, so I still ended up finishing that one by myself. It was a really tough day hike. I am in the early stages of planning (and training). I run about 30 min a day, but I need to add a LOT of elevation into my workout. BTW, I have learned the cycling doesnt really translate to a long dayhike condition.

B
March 12, 2009 10:30AM
That beats my prep which consisted of roughly no physical activity for almost a year, living at nearly sea level, and then just doing it. Haha.
March 12, 2009 10:52AM
dqniel wrote:

> That beats my prep which consisted of roughly no physical
> activity for almost a year, living at nearly sea level, and
> then just doing it. Haha.

What - the time I actually made it to the top, or the time I bailed?

I actually hadn't prepared for the first attempt. I was just bored with two weeks of company shutdown to kill time with. So I just took off the day after Christmas and got those reservations in Mariposa then Reno. I figured I'd just find a place to stay in between but stayed longer in Yosemite. It was easy getting the room in Mariposa during winter.

I figured I had to get in shape so by spring I was doing 8-mile hikes at Point Reyes and by summer I was ready for 5-10 mile day hikes in the Rockies and the Colorado Plateau. I think I've regressed since then. :-(

March 12, 2009 10:00AM
>It's clearly on the Valley hikes map<

I dont know how I missed it; Its plain as day on the Topo, too! I guess I got lazy and expected the idiot guide to spoon-feed the info to me.

B
March 12, 2009 10:26AM
Ah yes, this brings back memories... did this last year in early May as a replacement hike up the 4-mile trail, which was still closed. Hot, and dry as a bone up Yosemite Falls, then 100 feet over the rim, 4 feet of hard packed snow. Went the whole way in just hiking boots. I had never hiked that trail before, so we were 100% reliant on my GPS to navigate the "trail". One of the most challenging yet fun hikes I've ever done.

BTW, if you have a GPS, I have posted a track for this route at http://wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=143759

Post Edited (03-12-09 10:30)
March 12, 2009 11:03AM
I was referring to your comment about running 30 minutes a day.
March 12, 2009 11:17AM
dqniel wrote:

> I was referring to your comment about running 30 minutes a day.

Sorry. Wasn't my comment. Just made an assumption since your post immediately followed mine. In any case, I was woefully unprepared to go up the Upper Yosemite Fall Trail the first time I tried it, and I was still better prepared than others I saw the same day.

March 12, 2009 11:32AM
Ohhh, oops. This is why I should use the quote button smiling smiley
March 12, 2009 03:33PM
Gee, that sounds like a nice, pleasant walk. 8^)

Gary
March 12, 2009 05:26PM
Even tho I feel like a dope for not spotting the trail on the Topo, Im glad that I posted the question, anyway, because the feedback is excellent. I plan on doing this hike in late June, so that I can take advantage of the looong daylight hours and lack of snow (sounds like I am going to need all the light). Perhaps if I leave early enough, I will beat some of the crowds.

B
March 12, 2009 05:42PM
I would really recommend that you just hike to Eagle Peak and back.
Eagle Peak is much more impressive in my humble opinion.
I think it is a shame not to go up to Eable Peak, something you will probably do
if you hike to El Cap and back in a day.
The summit of El Cap may leave you wanting more...
And to get more you should camp overnight and hike down to the edge.
The edge is a good 500 ft. down. You will be able to peer over the edge
and see El Cap Meadow.
You can continue traversing down the east side for quite a bit...
I like to climb down to the huge rock to get a nice view of the Texas Flake.
March 12, 2009 06:01PM
joe_schmo :I would really recommend that you just hike to Eagle Peak and back.

This option of Eagle Peak is in the running. I actually started with a few ideas: Yosemite falls to Eagle peak, YF to El Cap, Eagle peak, and down to trail head, or, El Cap trail to Eagle peak. I have a couple of months to mull it over and chat with as many folks as possible to get perspective. Also, I need to take actual mileage into consideration.

B
March 12, 2009 06:10PM
Bee,
I did the trip out to El Cap last year but came in from 120 along Yosemite Creek and back out to 120 . Once you get to the Eagle Peak junction just north of the falls it is an easy traverse over to the spur trail to El Cap. Be sure along the way to go up the Eagle Peak spur for the view. If you go up the falls trail, out to El Cap, and back the same way it is doable in a day for sure. I saw one of those greenish brown rubber boa snakes that day. It burrowed right into some loose dirt when I got close.

If you plan to do the loop west to the the Old Big Oak Flat Road out of Tamarack Flat and down to the valley floor then plan on a long day. Have food, water filtration, a headlamp, and extra clothing. The old road used to have a set of switchbacks through the rock slide area but they have been rock slid out of existence. You now have to pick your way down to where the old road bed comes out of the slide. There are little arrows painted on the rocks giving some guidance to the route. The old roadbed is not shown on newer NPS maps but is shown on many other maps, especially older ones.

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/mrcondron/IMG_4464.JPG.html

This picture is from an awesome spot on the old roadbed. Dale and I had hiked in from the trailhead west of Tamarack Creek.

Old Dude
March 12, 2009 06:21PM
mcondron>The old roadbed is not shown on newer NPS maps but is shown on many other maps, especially older ones.<

i have my dads old map book and it DOES list Old Stage Coach Road! Did you start from Yosemite Creek Campgrounds? One of my references says that this cuts off 3 mi and one lousy stream crossing. I am liking this option the best, because I dont see any purpose in hiking up and down the valley floor TWICE. I think that I have at least made this decision: hike it as an out and back(minus the YF trail exit). It sounds like the trail from Yosemite Creek TO YF falls and back is a better entrance/exit. Starting from the campground, it looks like a 13 mile out/back with the approx 3+ mile addition of Eagle Peak. As long as it stays in the +-20mi I should be okay (I finished Halfdome in a day with daylight to spare during the same time of year)

B

Post Edited (03-12-09 18:33)

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
March 12, 2009 08:47PM
Bee,
I drove up from Modesto and started an overnighter from 120 at around 2pm. I hiked from 120 down to the junction at Yosemite Creek Trail and the Eagle Peak trail. I camped by the creek and dayhiked to Eagle Peak and El Cap the second day, got back to my camp site, loaded up, hiked back to my car at 120, and droveback to Modesto. Day hiking from Yosemite Creek Campground should be very doable. The Yosemite Creek Trail is not very steep. It's actually rather flat. Thje whole trip is pretty flat except for a bit just west of Eagle Peak.
Be aware though that if 120 isn't open when you do this trip you will be starting from the valley.

Old Dude
March 12, 2009 09:00PM
mcondron:>Be aware though that if 120 isn't open when you do this trip you will be starting from the valley<

Duely noted; it would change the whole profile of the hike! I spend the whole winter planning all my dayhikes, and then I work out in hopes that I can complete them and still enjoy the process. I am going to be hiking in Tuolomne Meadows for the first time this year, too.

B
March 13, 2009 08:12AM
B, actually I think you should really just do Yosemite Falls the first time.
I know a few people who were dragging some serious butt getting up
to Yosemite Falls.
You really need to see the "edge" of the falls and also hike up to
Yosemite Point. More stuff I think you will plod by if you go to El Cap.

As far as that Mike guy goes... man, I want to hike with him. He must
climb some big walls. Probably should call him "Big Wall Mike".

From Yosmite Creek Campground you're talking 18 miles.

I know when I go backpacking there is alot of complaining when I
only want to go "100 ft. up" to a nice campsite.

Seriously ... in order of "ease" I'd say it would be:
1) Yose Ck Cmpground TH
2) Tamarack Ck Cmpground TH
3) Yosemite Falls TH
4) Old Big Oak Flat TH
5) Rockslides
6) The Nose
March 13, 2009 08:52AM
joeshmo:> B, actually I think you should really just do Yosemite Falls the first time.<

I think what happens is that I get into a "best of" mode, much like I did with Halfdome. When I planned halfdome, it did not start out that way, rather it began as a Tour d'Waterfall, which expanded to the Panerama Trail, in which I said "hey, Im SOO CLOSE to halfdome.." and before you know it, it was a full out death march (or so it felt). I am hoping that by getting into shape will give me more options...!

B
March 13, 2009 09:54AM
Bee wrote:

> joeshmo:> B, actually I think you should really just do
> Yosemite Falls the first time.<
>
> I think what happens is that I get into a "best of" mode, much
> like I did with Halfdome. When I planned halfdome, it did not
> start out that way, rather it began as a Tour d'Waterfall,
> which expanded to the Panerama Trail, in which I said "hey, Im
> SOO CLOSE to halfdome.." and before you know it, it was a full
> out death march (or so it felt). I am hoping that by getting
> into shape will give me more options...!

I've made plan changes when dayhiking (once to the point where my folks who were along on the same trip were ready to call for Yellowstone SAR), but I don't think I'd ever consider making a Half Dome trek without making it a planned trip. The path is just so hard on the knees that it works best with a plan to keep the trip mileage down and to have an early morning start.

I found Half Dome far more manageable as part of a backpacking trip. It was only 2.5 miles from my campsite to the top of HD and I could leave at about 9:30. Since I already had a campsite in the area, I threw in Clouds Rest the next day. While HD is certainly iconic, Clouds Rest has better views. Maybe one of these days I'll do HD in a day, but I'd think it's a much better experience as part of a backpacking trip.

I'll also note that a cell phone is very useful in Yosemite Valley if you're hiking and have other people waiting for you in the Valley. I've gotten clear signals well past Half Dome and it's useful when you might be late coming back but aren't otherwise in a dangerous situation.

March 13, 2009 05:25PM
YPW: I found Half Dome far more manageable as part of a backpacking trip

I completely agree, however, since I do 90% of these treks by myself, I have found that I am more comfortable cramming most of my adventures into dayhiking. I have backpacked alone, but with my wandering nature, i find that I have the propensity to do things that are unwise.

>I've gotten clear signals well past Half Dome and it's useful when you might be late coming back but aren't otherwise in a dangerous situation<

there is a cell tower just off the Sentinal Dome hike that is maintained in the summer months (cant access it until Glacier road opens) so there is great reception in the Summer months. My family GREATLY appreciates the invention of the cell phone, so as my mother says, they can tell that I am still alive!

BTW Clouds Rest is also on my list: Sunrise Lakes Trailhead and back (14.4 miles) I am really excited about this one.

B
March 13, 2009 05:36PM
Bee wrote:

> BTW Clouds Rest is also on my list: Sunrise Lakes Trailhead and
> back (14.4 miles) I am really excited about this one.

Half Dome viewed from Clouds Rest.

The view facing north is incredible too. I'll try and upload one of my photos I took.

March 13, 2009 05:35PM
Bee,
Sunrise to Clouds Rest is a nice one. Take a pair of dry socks or some water slip-ons as there is a crossing of Tenaya Creek almost first thing. If you go early in the season be sure to have some bug spray. I forgot once about 10 years ago and that fact still comes up now and then. They were thick.

Post Edited (03-13-09 17:37)

Old Dude
March 13, 2009 06:13PM
mrcondron wrote:

> Bee,
> Sunrise to Clouds Rest is a nice one. Take a pair of dry socks
> or some water slip-ons as there is a crossing of Tenaya Creek
> almost first thing. If you go early in the season be sure to
> have some bug spray. I forgot once about 10 years ago and that
> fact still comes up now and then. They were thick.

I don't remember there being a Tenaya Creek crossing. I did go in a low-water year so maybe I'm just missing out on something.

The Sunrise Lakes trailhead is really just the entrance from the west end of Tenaya Lake.
March 13, 2009 05:47PM
mcondron:Take a pair of dry socks or some water slip-ons as there is a crossing of Tenaya Creek almost first thing.

Mike, I was thinking about buying a pair of fancy Gortex hiking boots this year, (I have been using my combat boots for the last couple of years) because moisture has been a problem with my all-leather set up (even with Sno Seal et al) I was wondering if the Gortex boots are designed to keep your feet dry in the situation of creek crossing (or are the feet totally submerged?) anyways, while I love my trusty boots, they are not the best for wet situations.

YPW, thanx for the pic -- its awesome! I love how the granite looks all wavey. there was excellent write-up about the views from the Clouds Rest hike (along with a HUGE warning about kaputz if there are thunderheads)

B
March 13, 2009 06:43PM
YPW: I don't remember there being a Tenaya Creek crossing

The book says "Cross a snady bottomed creek draining Tenaya Lake that you ll probably have to wade early in the year" It is listed during the first mile, so like Mike mentioned: you get yer feet wet right from the git-go. Its probably not an issue, but I have been getting by with boots that are not really designed for what I put them thru and I am a bit nervous about dousing them (I still use them officially once in a while to play soldier, so I dont want to screw them up)

B
March 13, 2009 07:46PM
Bee,
Gortex will keep the water from coming in through the boot but doesn't work worth a darn when water comes in over the top! In the early part of the year we've seen people with calf high gaiters that were duct taped at the top. This will let you go through water that is nearly knee deep with no problems. When the water is midcalf or at least over the top of the boot we generally take boots off and go through with only socks, thus the recommendation for a pair of dry socks. If it is really hot I don't mind getting water in over the top. I do wring the socks out though If you do take tour boots off for a crossing don't throw them to the opposite shore as physics prevents them from making it all the way across.

Don't go over Clouds Rest if the weather is not clear. It's a lighting rod.

Old Dude
March 13, 2009 09:59PM
mrcondron wrote:

> Bee,
> Gortex will keep the water from coming in through the boot but
> doesn't work worth a darn when water comes in over the top! In
> the early part of the year we've seen people with calf high
> gaiters that were duct taped at the top. This will let you go
> through water that is nearly knee deep with no problems. When
> the water is midcalf or at least over the top of the boot we
> generally take boots off and go through with only socks, thus
> the recommendation for a pair of dry socks. If it is really
> hot I don't mind getting water in over the top. I do wring the
> socks out though If you do take tour boots off for a crossing
> don't throw them to the opposite shore as physics prevents them
> from making it all the way across.
>
> Don't go over Clouds Rest if the weather is not clear. It's a
> lighting rod.
>

In warmer weather somebody recommended bring some of those athletic water slipper things. That way you have some protection on the bottom of your feet and can just put your socks and boots back on when you're done.

Next time I go to Yosemite I WILL do the Cloud's Rest hike from Sunrise.
March 13, 2009 08:01PM
A torrent in Spring is a trickle in fall.

Tenaya Lake -> Tenaya Creek -> Tenaya Canyon
March 13, 2009 10:39PM
Perhaps I went over the aforementioned creek crossing, but it was probably so uneventful the time I did it that it doesn't register.

I do remember seeing an outfitter rent out a combination high walking stick and neoprene boots for use hiking the Virgin River Narrows at Zion NP. The hike is pretty much wading through the river as high as 4 ft deep over smooth rocks. Ankle support is highly recommended. I did do it in Gore-Tex hiking boots, but I did so just for the ankle support. Those rental boots were sort of lightweight with velcro straps that doubled back and formed the ankle support.

I can also vouch for Gore-Tex being waterproof in both directions. I was in Florida during the rainy season and thought some Gore-Tex hiking boots would be better than my mesh upper running shoes. The rain was so hard that my shoes got waterlogged on the inside just through the opening. They didn't drain and I found myself wringing out my socks.

March 14, 2009 12:24AM
I promised a picture pointing north from Clouds Rest. The original is pretty large, so here's a thumbnail. If you want to click on it, the original is pretty large. In the background there's Tioga Road, and I'm pretty sure that's May Lake. I wasn't alone, but there weren't anywhere near the number of people I saw on Half Dome.

March 14, 2009 01:22AM
daniel: In warmer weather somebody recommended bring some of those athletic water slipper things

Great idea -- I have several cheap pairs from Kayaking.

YPW: I can also vouch for Gore-Tex being waterproof in both directions

I am looking at a real nice pair of Gor-Tex boots from LL Bean (the only ones who carry Narrow) I tried altering my issues by putting a Vibram sole on the heel (which is naturally smooth) but there was still some slippage. Also, It would be really nice to have more ventilation in the summer (those all leather black boots get mighty hot)

Was the traffic light the whole way up to Clouds Rest? When I did HD,it was a cattle call with a nasty bottleneck at the cables (my fault for late start and last minute planning) It seems like the photos from CR a are more dramatic than the ones that I took from HD.

B
March 14, 2009 09:50AM
Bee wrote:

> daniel: In warmer weather somebody recommended bring some of
> those athletic water slipper things
>
> Great idea -- I have several cheap pairs from Kayaking.
>
> YPW: I can also vouch for Gore-Tex being waterproof in both
> directions
>
> I am looking at a real nice pair of Gor-Tex boots from LL Bean
> (the only ones who carry Narrow) I tried altering my issues by
> putting a Vibram sole on the heel (which is naturally smooth)
> but there was still some slippage. Also, It would be really
> nice to have more ventilation in the summer (those all leather
> black boots get mighty hot)

Gore-Tex does not equal ideal summer ventilation. The main reason to have it is for waterproofing for stream or mud crossings. I did that three night trip in Gore-Tex lined leather boots, but I wasn't bothered by them. If you want better ventilation, you'll need something that isn't waterproof. Gore-Tex breathes to some extent compared to other waterproof materials, but it's not great.

> Was the traffic light the whole way up to Clouds Rest? When I
> did HD,it was a cattle call with a nasty bottleneck at the
> cables (my fault for late start and last minute planning) It
> seems like the photos from CR a are more dramatic than the ones
> that I took from HD.

I did HD on a Thursday and Clouds Rest on a Friday. I got back from Clouds Rest maybe about 1:30 and the the telephoto photos I took of the HD cables had heavy traffic but they weren't bottlenecked.

Clouds Rest gets great views because it's so high up. You're looking down on Half Dome and have dramatic views in all directions. I barely saw anyone else to from Clouds Rest. I believe those four people in the photo are about half of the people I came across all day.

Also - I was wrong about the lake in my photos. From the shape, it's Tenaya, although I had some difficulty figuring where the road was and the lake is partially obstructed by the granite.

March 14, 2009 05:27AM
It's Tenaya Lake... not May.

The creek can be a good 20-30 ft. wide in spring.
In fall before any storm has come through:

(the rocks in the picture above are for walking across)

March 14, 2009 09:37AM
joe_schmo wrote:

> It's Tenaya Lake... not May.

I couldn't tell where the road was, so I looked on a map and I thought it was May Lake.
March 14, 2009 09:08AM
While we are on the subject of trail to Yosemite Falls, has the trail been improved from the valley to the falls? Some years ago (more than 15), it was in terrible condition with short cuts, washed out sections, poor drainage and in some parts essentially absent trail across steep traverses (hard on the ankles) especially in the lower section close to the valley floor.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
March 14, 2009 09:16AM
Hot Dog,
The trail is in great shape. They've done alot of work on it in the last 15 years.
The only section which is problematic now seems to be the area just
above Columbia Rock which is pretty "sandy" and some schmos
insist on cutting the trail and contributing to the errosion.
It was in great shape last Dec. anyway.
March 14, 2009 09:53AM
I did the Yosemite Falls hike last year about 2/3 of the way to the top before the weather got too bad to continue. Even with the POURING rain the trail was in good enough condition for me to feel safe. I'd say it must have improved a lot since fifteen years ago smiling smiley In fact, there were actually people working on it the day I was there; they had the heavy equipment out and were cutting and placing rocks in a few different spots.
March 14, 2009 10:28AM
dqniel wrote:

> I did the Yosemite Falls hike last year about 2/3 of the way to
> the top before the weather got too bad to continue. Even with
> the POURING rain the trail was in good enough condition for me
> to feel safe. I'd say it must have improved a lot since
> fifteen years ago smiling smiley In fact, there were actually people
> working on it the day I was there; they had the heavy equipment
> out and were cutting and placing rocks in a few different
> spots.

There was a major slide there, but I don't know if it was before or after '15 years ago'. It's where you see the new switchbacks and trail work just above Columbia rock, and it's still pretty barren there.

I think it's pretty safe as long as you stay on-trail. First time I went up was in a February, and when I got nearly to the top there was too much ice and snow on the trail, and I was glad I turned back. I wouldn't have had a clue where to go at the top anyway, as when there's fresh snow there's no way to tell where the trail is unless you know it really well.

Gary
March 14, 2009 10:54AM
Sierrafan: >There was a major slide there<

Someone mentioned to me that if you look up to the cliff above during the hike, you can see a white scar where a couple of huge boulders broke loose in the 1980s.

B
March 14, 2009 03:07PM
Bee wrote:

> Someone mentioned to me that if you look up to the cliff above
> during the hike, you can see a white scar where a couple of
> huge boulders broke loose in the 1980s.

That slide killed four hikers and the trail was closed quite awile after.

March 14, 2009 12:00PM

I take it that's where the rock slide went?
March 14, 2009 03:46PM
Does the YF trail have a history of multiple slides, rockfall activity? (not that it will stop me from doing my hike)

B
March 14, 2009 04:12PM
Bee wrote:

> Does the YF trail have a history of multiple slides, rockfall
> activity? (not that it will stop me from doing my hike)

It has rockfall and slides. But not all that often and I wouldn't worry about it.

March 14, 2009 06:33PM
Bee wrote:

> Does the YF trail have a history of multiple slides, rockfall
> activity? (not that it will stop me from doing my hike)

Well - the first time I tried it, I turned back a little over halfway. On the way back I had to duck under a fallen tree that I didn't recall being there on the way up.

March 14, 2009 06:57PM
YPW:On the way back I had to duck under a fallen tree

I wonder if the instability is due to cutting the trail and changing the physics of the mountain(like all the rockslides on 140 & 50), or if its just an active area in general (much like the avalanches in the winter)

B
March 14, 2009 07:12PM
Bee wrote:

> I wonder if the instability is due to cutting the trail and
> changing the physics of the mountain(like all the rockslides on
> 140 & 50), or if its just an active area in general (much like
> the avalanches in the winter)

Big vertical cliff are never really stable.

March 14, 2009 09:52PM
Great topic and I always enjoy reading Bee's questions, answers, and other replies.

But eeek's first reply still has me laughing!

Bill
March 14, 2009 11:30PM
wbmyosemite: But eeek's first reply still has me laughing!

Yeah, me too!

(the thing about internet is that you cannot mask ignorance by standing back a bit and observing the locals before you open yer trap and remove all doubt)

B
April 22, 2009 02:02PM
Bee
(the thing about internet is that you cannot mask ignorance by standing back a bit and observing the locals before you open yer trap and remove all doubt)

But all you really unmasked was the failures of a certain book.
April 22, 2009 07:35PM
eeek
Bee

But all you really unmasked was the failures of a certain book.

Cringe...thank you for the words...Cringe...did we have to...cringe...revive this thread in all its ignorant glory...cringeconfused smiley

B
April 22, 2009 10:46PM
Bee
did we have to...cringe...revive this thread in all its ignorant glory...cringeconfused smiley

Well, we wouldn't want it to be lost would we? Grinning Devil
April 22, 2009 10:54PM
eeek
Bee
did we have to...cringe...revive this thread in all its ignorant glory...cringeconfused smiley

Can we burn it??? I keep hearing your little "whats wrong with the trail" quip...oh so short....and to the point!

Bmoody smiley
April 22, 2009 10:58PM
Bee
eeek
Bee

Can we burn it??? I keep hearing your little "whats wrong with the trail" quip...oh so short....and to the point!

Bmoody smiley

Do you realize I was actually a bit puzzled at the time? In fact I went and looked before I posted to be sure there was a trail where I remembered one being. One does have to wonder why that book failed to list it.

BTW, a better way to do El Capitan might be to do a one way hike from Tamark Flat Campground and then down Yosemite Falls. But even that way is quite long.
April 22, 2009 11:20PM

Do you realize I was actually a bit puzzled at the time?

WHAT! I confused the Master...I have moved up in the world wink

In fact I went and looked before I posted to be sure there was a trail where I remembered one being. One does have to wonder why that book failed to list it.

I wish I could tell you more about the book, but I was so embarrassed by its lack of clarification, that I threw it at the wall....and into the rubbish bin!

BTW, a better way to do El Capitan might be to do a one way hike from Tamark Flat Campground and then down Yosemite Falls. But even that way is quite long.

I am still looking at several possible routes for this trip. It can be done as a one-way from either direction. I believe that Mike suggested accessing it from the Old Stage Road (which I have a map that includes it) that comes out of the camp ground (we could be talking the same here) that would shave off three or so miles from the hike. I will have to talk to him about this again.

B
April 22, 2009 11:21PM
Watch the altitude gain as well as the miles.
April 22, 2009 11:27PM
eeek
Watch the altitude gain as well as the miles.

Words to live by as I "rejoiced" in how much "shorter" the MR is compared to the Whitney Main Trail (before I saw the profile)...!!!

B
April 23, 2009 12:29AM
Bee,
From the valley up the falls to El Cap:
14.5 miles round trip
3700' up
3700' down
Includes going up to Eagle Peak. Adds about one mile to the total.

From Big Oak Flat Road to the valley:
18 miles a one way trip
3200' up
3700' down
Includes going to Eagle Peak

From the valley to car issue:
From Big Oak Flat Road you need about ten minutes to get back to your car.

If you leave from Tamarack Flat Campground you save maybe a mile but then you have a difficult car recovery problem as Tam Flat is a long way from the valley and the road to the campground is ugly.

Old Dude
April 23, 2009 12:33AM
mrcondron
Bee,
From the valley up the falls to El Cap:
14.5 miles round trip
3700' up
3700' down
Includes going up to Eagle Peak. Adds about one mile to the total.

From Big Oak Flat Road to the valley:
18 miles a one way trip
3200' up
3700' down
Includes going to Eagle Peak

From the valley to car issue:
From Big Oak Flat Road you need about ten minutes to get back to your car.

If you leave from Tamarack Flat Campground you save maybe a mile but then you have a difficult car recovery problem as Tam Flat is a long way from the valley and the road to the campground is ugly.

Which one of these routes would you personally recommend (the distances arent too bad -- 20 miles is my limit for a day hike, depending on elevation gain, of course)

B
April 23, 2009 12:56AM
Bee,
I would come in from the west off of Big Oak Flat Road. This will give you a one way trip. No repeat over the same boring spots. It also starts out a little slower on the elevation as opposed to burning out on the way up the falls. Crossing Tamarack Creek if the water is high can be exciting. There was a log across a couple of years ago and it's probably still there. You can check out the water in Tam Creek by stopping at the bridge that crosses Tam Creek on Big Oak Flat road. It's right near the Cascade Creek Bridge just east of the tunnel where you have to turn your lights on.

This a very lightly traveled trail.

It's pretty easy to hitch a ride up to you car or you can hitch a ride to the trailhead and leave your car in the valley. This might be better as you could get down late and prefer to not deal with getting your car. Two cars would work too assuming you hiked with somebody.

Old Dude
April 23, 2009 01:03AM
mrcondron
Bee,
I would come in from the west off of Big Oak Flat Road. This will give you a one way trip. No repeat over the same boring spots. It also starts out a little slower on the elevation as opposed to burning out on the way up the falls. Crossing Tamarack Creek if the water is high can be exciting. There was a log across a couple of years ago and it's probably still there. You can check out the water in Tam Creek by stopping at the bridge that crosses Tam Creek on Big Oak Flat road. It's right near the Cascade Creek Bridge just east of the tunnel where you have to turn your lights on.

This a very lightly traveled trail.

It's pretty easy to hitch a ride up to you car or you can hitch a ride to the trailhead and leave your car in the valley. This might be better as you could get down late and prefer to not deal with getting your car. Two cars would work too assuming you hiked with somebody.

this hike is on my top three for the season. the other ones can be croweded at times, but this report of lesser traveled is very promising. I am trying to get some different vantage points than the usual southside that I have seen much of.

B
April 23, 2009 01:07AM
Bee
Which one of these routes would you personally recommend (the distances arent too bad -- 20 miles is my limit for a day hike, depending on elevation gain, of course)

If you can get somebody to do the car thing, I'd say Tamerack. Don't do it too early tough; Cascade Creek can be a bit much to cross.
April 23, 2009 01:18AM
eeek
Bee

If you can get somebody to do the car thing, I'd say Tamerack. Don't do it too early tough; Cascade Creek can be a bit much to cross.

(the avatar is backsmiling smiley

This is set to be a mid season hike, cause I dont wanna go for a swim so early!
April 23, 2009 01:22AM
Bee
This is set to be a mid season hike, cause I dont wanna go for a swim so early!

That'll work. You probably won't even get wet (other than sweating).
April 23, 2009 12:48AM
mrcondron
If you leave from Tamarack Flat Campground you save maybe a mile but then you have a difficult car recovery problem as Tam Flat is a long way from the valley

That's why god invented friends.

and the road to the campground is ugly.

Ugly? That road is a freeway compared to some I've been on. Try Laurel Canyon (http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=37.611784,-118.914299&spn=0.058745,0.104113&t=p&z=14) and come back and tell me about ugly.
April 23, 2009 12:59AM
I agree but if you hitch a ride from some Los Gatos Hills trophy person in a Lamborgini they might not like the road let alone going that far out of the way.

Old Dude
April 23, 2009 01:09AM
mrcondron
I agree but if you hitch a ride from some Los Gatos Hills trophy person in a Lamborgini they might not like the road let alone going that far out of the way.

Having a friend drop one off would be my first choice.
May 06, 2009 04:26PM
I found this on page 2. This really should be a 'sticky' thread on page 1.
May 06, 2009 04:33PM
Dale,

Bee's going to sting you for reviving this thread.

Jim
May 06, 2009 05:41PM
bill-e-g
I found this on page 2. This really should be a 'sticky' thread on page 1.

HAVE YOU NO MERCY!!!!!!

My Uncle peruses this board now and then, and he threatened to register just for the sole purpose of reviving this thread now and then....URRRGHHHGRRR..the worst part of it is that it is WORSE each time I see it because I know more than the last time!!!!!

QB
May 06, 2009 04:49PM
Well.. at least I didn't put this picture here:

So I don't think she'll be too mad.
May 06, 2009 05:10PM
Could one put the URL of this thread in ones signature?

Old Dude
May 06, 2009 05:15PM
mrcondron

That probably depends on one's desire to live. Grinning Devil
May 06, 2009 05:53PM
eeek
mrcondron

That probably depends on one's desire to live. Grinning Devil

Do they sell Bear Pheramone spray or gel? Let's just say that I am looking into it (just a itty bitty dab on Mike's back pack).....Grinning Devil

QB
May 06, 2009 06:06PM
Bee
Do they sell Bear Pheramone spray or gel? Let's just say that I am looking into it (just a itty bitty dab on Mike's back pack).....Grinning Devil

Why not use honey?
May 06, 2009 06:14PM
eeek
Bee

Why not use honey?

I thought that that(bears liking honey) was just something they made up for Winnie-the-Pooh!

B
May 06, 2009 06:21PM
Bee
I thought that that(bears liking honey) was just something they made up for Winnie-the-Pooh!

No, they like honey.
May 06, 2009 06:28PM
eeek
Bee

No, they like honey.

Note to Self: don't forget little jar of honey on that backpacking trip..Grinning Devil
May 06, 2009 06:39PM
Check out this recipe for bear baiting in the barbed wire hair traps used by Kate Kendall in Glacier:

The Dangers of Collecting Hair
Kendall put together a study area of 12,127 square miles, dividing the territory into 640 cells, each about five miles square. Her plan called for workers and volunteers to go into each cell with bait and barbed wire and set up several hair traps. Moreover, they had to revisit each cell three times, collecting hair and relocating the traps.
Can’t be done, some researchers thought.
“How are you going to get back there to do it?” wondered Wayne Kasworm, a bear expert with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. “You have to go back to these places multiple times.”
As a woman in a male-dominated field, Kendall was used to being underestimated. But she also thought of all the things that could go wrong. She would be sending people to places 30 miles from the nearest road. And they’d be carrying bear bait.

The stuff reeked to high heaven. Her recipe: Dump cattle blood and whole fish into separate 55-gallon drums and age for a year. Then blend fish with a sheetrock mud mixer. Strain fish solids from liquid, and mix liquid with the rotten blood.
“It is difficult to convey the stench of this operation to anyone that was not there,” Kendall reports.

The bottles of bait sometimes get hot and explode upon opening. Jeff Stetz, Kendall’s deputy, has had bear bait sprayed in his face, which quickened his step on the way back to civilization.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
May 06, 2009 07:33PM
Bee,

Many a beekeeper has seen their hives torn to pieces by a bear after the honey. They will wade right through a hive ignoring the hundreds of bee stings. Honey is king to them. They love all kinds of sweets.

Jim
May 06, 2009 08:35PM
tomdisco
Bee,

Many a beekeeper has seen their hives torn to pieces by a bear after the honey. They will wade right through a hive ignoring the hundreds of bee stings. Honey is king to them. They love all kinds of sweets.

Jim

TRAVESTY!

Busy Bee
May 07, 2009 06:11AM
Bee
Busy Bee

Where is the goat "emoicon" thingy? Equality for all... (please) (pretty please)

(awwww.... cmon... the picture of QB on El Cap. was funny... no harm intended!)
(I promise!)
(no no no... serious... no matter how goofy her comments... I look forward to her innocent view of the world)
(ok ok ok... maybe not so innocent)

<insert goat emoition thingy here> <preferable goat looking cool and smart and stuff>
May 07, 2009 07:23AM
bill-e-g
<preferable goat looking cool and smart and stuff>

Isn't that the goat equivalent of an oxymoron?
May 07, 2009 08:18AM
szalkowski
bill-e-g
<preferable goat looking cool and smart and stuff>

Isn't that the goat equivalent of an oxymoron?

Perhaps... This guy looks "smart and stuff"... maybe not so cool...

May 07, 2009 09:12AM
bill-e-g
(awwww.... cmon... the picture of QB on El Cap. was funny... no harm intended!)
(I promise!)

Goatie, the pic came out as a little red X on my puter; if you fixed it, its WAAAY lost in this HUGE thread

Bee Cowboy

I'm SPAY-SHUL that's why I have my owe hive of emoticons

Busy Bee
May 07, 2009 09:43AM
Bee
Goatie, the pic came out as a little red X on my puter; if you fixed it, its WAAAY lost in this HUGE thread

Dangitall! Again... foiled by picasaweb! again!!!
<http://picasaweb.google.com/dale.dekeyser/TempJunk#5333100915406030242>;

And you're right... the thread is waaaay tooo long now... especially since guests don't even see
the really good stuff towards the end since the default is not the flat view!
Although come to think about it... they probably don't make it past the second post...
especially if they are drinking anything... they're probably cleaning off the compooper screen
from the spray of soda or water ... or picking themselves off the floor...
smiling smiley

I may have to pull the old "whitney poop thread" trick and resurrect it anew with just the really good
stuff in it... Still think ME (Master Eeeek should sticky it... or at least have links to "the best of"winking smiley

Bee
I'm SPAY-SHUL that's why I have my owe hive of emoticons
Busy Bee
ya ya ya... I know!

vomit
May 07, 2009 09:59AM
bill-e-g
<insert goat emoition thingy here> <preferable goat looking cool and smart and stuff>

How about that goatsnack scene from the movie "Jurassic Park?"
May 07, 2009 01:11PM
bill-e-g
Where is the goat "emoicon" thingy? Equality for all... (please) (pretty please)

I haven't found one I can use yet.

This is the coolest goat I've found so far and it isn't really emoticon fodder:

May 07, 2009 01:47PM
What! He's not in a sleeping bag so how come he is peeing himself?
(am I allowed to say that?)

Goat Stop
May 07, 2009 05:33PM
bill-e-g
What! He's not in a sleeping bag so how come he is peeing himself?
(am I allowed to say that?)

Goat Stop

I think we chased off all the adults, so I think yer safe!Busy Bee
May 07, 2009 06:02PM
"The Thread That Wouldn't Die"

Old Dude
May 07, 2009 09:20PM
mrcondron
"The Thread That Wouldn't Die"

Still hanging on by a thread?
May 07, 2009 09:57PM
eeek
[

*Groan*

Busy Bee
May 08, 2009 12:45AM
Bee
eeek
[

*Groan*

Busy Bee

"A stitch in time...."
May 08, 2009 12:46AM
szalkowski
Bee
eeek
[

*Groan*

Busy Bee

"A stitch in time...."

Beats a stitch in one's side.
May 08, 2009 12:48AM
szalkowski
Bee
eeek
[

*Groan*

Busy Bee

"A stitch in time...."

Isn't it past your bedtime, Len??!!

Bee Presents
May 08, 2009 01:09AM
Bee
szalkowski
Bee
eeek
[

*Groan*

Busy Bee

"A stitch in time...."

Isn't it past your bedtime, Len??!!

Bee Presents

ATTA GRIL [sic]!

KEEP THE THREAD ALIVE!!!
May 06, 2009 05:49PM
mrcondron

Grinning Devil>MIKE!!<Grinning Devil

I thought you were a sweetie pie!

That is a downright EVIL idea!

QB
May 06, 2009 05:50PM
He's dangerous.
I'm the Angel
May 06, 2009 06:06PM
Bee
mrcondron

Grinning Devil>MIKE!!<Grinning Devil

I thought you were a sweetie pie!

That is a downright EVIL idea!

QB

Perhaps this will help:

May 06, 2009 06:25PM
eeek

Perhaps this will help:

EEEEK! Your stock just went up! (in my personality portfolio)

QB
May 06, 2009 06:41PM
Bee
eeek

Perhaps this will help:

EEEEK! Your stock just went up! (in my personality portfolio)

QB

And you can always give him a nice slap:

May 06, 2009 05:45PM
bill-e-g
Well.. at least I didn't put this picture here:

So I don't think she'll be too mad.

Wh-wh-what picture (NO, DON"T POST IT...I'm not askin' you to post it)(I just wanna know what it was..IN A PM!!)

Arn't WOLVES the NATURAL ENEMY OF GOATS? Don't they have a re-introduction of WOLVES IN YOSEMITE project on the list???

QB
May 06, 2009 08:39PM
I think there's a pass out of Kings Canyon called Goat Pass? I'm going to go see if there really is one this weekend smiling smiley
May 07, 2009 06:07AM
Vince
I think there's a pass out of Kings Canyon called Goat Pass? I'm going to go see if there really is one this weekend smiling smiley

Good Luck.

Maybe someone calls the pass between Goat and Munger Goat Pass. Or maybe one of the 2 passes between Goat and Kid.
June 01, 2009 11:37AM
Moving this to the appropriate location.

Blame it on the Chickon Boo
June 04, 2009 12:18PM
June 04, 2009 12:29PM
Ask the "Bee"s for directions instead?

"leaving the Yose Falls 'spur' and heading north young one - bear lefty at the sign - it will lead you on the righteous path" - WWQB

June 04, 2009 12:55PM
bill-e-g
bear lefty at the sign

Is that... the dreaded Southpaw Bear!!!???

[P.S. We're glad to see that this thread is back at the top of the heap where it belongs. The Beaks.]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2009 12:58PM by szalkowski.
June 04, 2009 06:41PM
Now yer REALLY busted, Goatie!!

I will ask Master Eeek if he can look up a Goat-Skinning Kit on one of his resource sites!!!

(I thought that the Obsession Thread was annoying, but this one is a set-up..!)

YES, BEAKS, the SouthPaw has a pretty good hook....where is that GOAT..!

Bee Cowboy
June 04, 2009 06:47PM
The Goat is pushing the log used to cross the reee-ver into the waaater.

Goat Stop

(I'm kinda upset you didn't copy the photo on reply though)

So here it is again:

June 04, 2009 06:48PM
Ooopsie...

My bad... that's the photo where the Eagle Peak Spur is.

"Keep a going straight here folks... " - WWQB
June 04, 2009 07:18PM
...Measureing up for those new Goat Skin Gloves...!!!! maybe a new pair of goat skin booties to match???

Bee Cowboy
June 11, 2009 06:52PM
Dear Bee,

This thread was getting alarmingly close to slipping onto the third page.

You don't need to thank us for rescuing it.

With Love,
The Beaks
June 11, 2009 06:58PM
Oh boy, now you've done it!

Old Dude
June 11, 2009 09:42PM
Bee
Is there an official (or unofficial) way of getting to the top of El Cap hiking west from the top of the Yosemite Falls trail. One resource casually mentioned "Hike west toward El Cap from the top of the Yosemite Fall trail", but once again, the two trail books that I have do not mention this junction. I asked someone about it in the valley, and he mentioned that there was an "unimproved" gravelly trail that went to El Cap. Anyone know?

B

If you hike far enough in an easterly direction first, you can also see MARMOT DOME.
June 11, 2009 09:54PM
Okay, I actually have something useful to add to this thread whomever suggested Eagle Peak as a destination, was right on the mark! The view from the peak was wonderful, AND it was a great place to wake up to.

(Billy, quick, on cue -- post a picture of Eagle Peak) (it would take me too long to find it in the stash)

Bee Presents
June 11, 2009 10:02PM
Bee
Okay, I actually have something useful to add to this thread whomever suggested Eagle Peak as a destination, was right on the mark! The view from the peak was wonderful, AND it was a great place to wake up to.

(Billy, quick, on cue -- post a picture of Eagle Peak) (it would take me too long to find it in the stash)

Bee Presents

HAR HAR HAR!!!!!

Guess who THAT was! joe_schmo.

(see page 2)

Lemme find a nice Eagle Peeekture...
June 11, 2009 10:07PM
The beloved chick-on is on Eagle Peak in "Ancient Mystery Solved" thread.

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?1,12035,page=1
June 11, 2009 10:15PM
bill-e-g
The beloved chick-on is on Eagle Peak in "Ancient Mystery Solved" thread.

Boy, talk about going down in the world.

The following excerpt appears in
http://www.yosemite.ca.us/library/yosemite_valley_place_names/:

EAGLE PEAK, el. 7,773, is the highest of the Three Brothers. It is named because of the eagles that once inhabited the peak. James Hutchings reported having seen seven of them there at one time.
June 13, 2009 06:19AM
From Backpacker Magazine website:

Discusses and shows some detail of the trail on North Rim from El Cap to North Dome (Bob Weaver note: last minute has a little info on the firefall ranger presentation, inexpicably)

http://www.backpacker.com/3d_flyover_yosemite_north_rim/videos/84

-- Carl Sagan
December 27, 2009 08:04PM
Bee

B

Umklapped back into the First Eeek Zone.
December 28, 2009 06:58PM
Len, you are bad.
July 25, 2011 08:35PM
El Cap from Tamarack or the Valley is quite strenuous, and the views are only so-so. Hiking down from Yosemite Creek Campground would be the way to go. Long thread, so I'm sure someone else has mentioned it. Once at the top, hike along the rim to Ribbon Meadow for a view of Bridalveil.
July 26, 2011 05:46AM
no, stop, enough!

Old Dude
July 29, 2011 09:00PM
mrcondron
no, stop, enough!

Rolling on floor laugh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login