Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (87% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Consumer Reports ratings of mosquito repellants

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Consumer Reports ratings of mosquito repellants
May 27, 2014 09:32PM
The best ways to stop insects from biting this summer
Consumer Reports
May 23, 2014 1:24 PM

... Try a plant-based repellent first. Examples include Repel Lemon Eucalyptus ($8) (which has a synthetic version of a naturally occurring chemical) and Natrapel or other products that contain 20 percent picaridin (a chemical similar to a compound in black pepper). In our 2010 tests (ratings chart below), both worked for at least 7 hours, though the Repel product has since been reformulated with less of the active ingredient and so no longer appears in our ratings chart. The risk of side effects for both is low, but the national Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says not to use the Repel product on kids younger than 3.

When you use deet, keep levels low. If a product with 15 percent deet keeps bugs away for 8 hours or more, as our tests found, one with 98 percent deet has to be even better, right? Actually, no. Off Deep Woods Sportsmen mini pump spray (98 percent deet) is claimed to provide maximum-strength protection for up to 10 hours. But products with 95 percent or more deet have been linked with serious side effects, including seizures, slurred speech, and coma. It can also cause eye irritation and allergic reactions. Our experts recommend using no more than 30 percent deet, ever. If you’re, say, on an overnight camping trip and need long-term bug protection, reapply a product with 15 percent deet (such as Off FamilyCare Smooth & Dry spray) and use it sparingly. Each application will protect you from mosquito and tick bites for at least 8 hours.

Think twice about using deet if you’re in a high-risk group. Children, seniors, and people with weakened immune systems should use deet only with extra caution. The American Academy of Pediatrics says not to use it at all on infants younger than 2 months.

Apply repellents outdoors, and only to clothing or exposed skin. Wash repellents off before you go to bed, and wash clothes before you wear them again.

https://shopping.yahoo.com/news/the-best-ways-to-stop-insects-from-biting-this-summer-172425184.html;_ylt=A86.J3RHYoVTBkoAjWIPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTByaDNhc2JxBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkAw--
May 27, 2014 09:34PM
My favorite part of that report was their initial suggestion:

The best way to avoid getting bitten by mosquitoes is to stay inside a screened room or porch.

Top notch insight.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
May 30, 2014 09:31AM
balzaccom

The best way to avoid getting bitten by mosquitoes is to stay inside a screened room or porch.

A better solution to the screened room is to go backpacking in September. I've been going late summer /early fall for decades and haven't had to use repellents at all. in fact, to save weight, I have removed the bottle of Repel from my backpack.
avatar Re: Consumer Reports ratings of mosquito repellants
May 27, 2014 10:07PM

... Try a plant-based repellent first...

I've had good luck with this stuff, which Consumer Reports apparently doesn't mention by name. It contains no DEET and smells interestingly spicy. For some reason I like the smell of geraniums better when it's coming from bug repellent than when it's coming from actual geraniums. I don't know how it would do against serious mosquitoes but the ones I met in Yosemite Valley two weeks ago stopped circling me right after I applied it, and didn't resume for a couple of hours.
May 28, 2014 01:51PM
gophersnake

... Try a plant-based repellent first...

I've had good luck with this stuff, which Consumer Reports apparently doesn't mention by name. It contains no DEET and smells interestingly spicy. For some reason I like the smell of geraniums better when it's coming from bug repellent than when it's coming from actual geraniums. I don't know how it would do against serious mosquitoes but the ones I met in Yosemite Valley two weeks ago stopped circling me right after I applied it, and didn't resume for a couple of hours.

Just an FYI...

That stuff: Amazon.com: Bugband Insect Repellant Lotion Spray

contains as an active ingredient Geraniol (20%) which is safe, as long as you're not allergic to bee stings. Why?

As stated in Wikipedia: “Research has shown geraniol to be an effective plant-based mosquito repellent. On the other hand, it can attract bees as it is produced by the scent glands of honey bees to help them mark nectar-bearing flowers and locate the entrances to their hives.”

So anyone allergic to bee stings would probably be wise not to use it. wink

May 28, 2014 01:57PM
For those not alergic to bee stings; How many mosquito bites are equal to one bee sting? Shoot, if it's that much of an attractant there could be multiple bee stings as you tried to prevent the bee's from entering you due to thinking you are a hive.

I'll stick with Deet.

Old Dude
May 28, 2014 03:07PM
I have tried all the new stuff from Eucalyptus Oil to dryer sheets and I too will stick with Deet. In a bad year at the park it was the only thing that really worked.
Dawn
May 28, 2014 04:36PM
Best I've found is have someone with you the mosquitoes love. Grinning Devil
May 29, 2014 04:37PM
yosemitedawn
I have tried all the new stuff from Eucalyptus Oil to dryer sheets and I too will stick with Deet. In a bad year at the park it was the only thing that really worked.
Dawn

I think Dawn pretty much covered it. The only likely improvement is spraying your clothing with Permathrin and confining the Deet to limited exposed areas.
May 28, 2014 04:21PM
If a worrier favorite like Consumer Reports was honest about DEET, they'd be hoisted up and burned at the stake. Worse their lawyers would be having nightmares shaking in their boots just day dreaming about what might happen if some family lawyers got ahold of them.
CR article obviously was directed at the many who dislike DEET and want to yearly be reassured they are the wiser unlike all those soon to be cancerous fools who say otherwise. Interestingly those actually doing research over the decades have seen otherwise which the government makes sure is believable so those in their military continue to use it. For those you on the fence that dunt know nuthin, might read what is on the following links.

http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/carbaryl-dicrotophos/deet-ext.html

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/outdoor-activities/hiking/deet3.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosquito

Me an oldening guy, been using enough max DEET over the last few decades during summers that if some are to be believed, I should have long since been covered in festering red warts and expired. But hey my smooth unwrinkled skin be a thing of beauty still on any twentysomething ocean beach. But then each person is somewhat different as much has to do with genetics. So what is fine for one person might be a disaster for another.

One thing to understand about mosquitoes is there are lots of different species with some large some tiny teenee, some quick to leave others very aggressive, some that barely make a sound while others whine loudly, some that are repelled by the wimpiest insect repellant concoctions while others are only deterred by Jungle Juice.

http://www.davidsenesac.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2014 04:23PM by DavidSenesac.
June 09, 2014 11:25PM
Any one ever use Avon skin so soft? I hear it works, but I'm skeptical.
June 11, 2014 11:33AM
As I spend several months out in Mos country each year, and hate them, I've always been looking for solutions.

DEET works for me, but I simply don't like the feel of it on the skin.

My discovery of Permethrin revolutionized my world. Treat the clothes once a season, cuts the attacks by 90%.

I use it along with Picardin, which I find pleasant on the skin, especially the face, and I'm good for 95+%

I also carry DEET, and use it under the worst conditions, but find that I need to use it rarely, or only certain times of the day.

I now come home with only a couple bites, instead of many, and never through my clothing, as in the past.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login