Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (56% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: Half Dome Cables

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

May 25, 2005 03:27PM
The cables on Half Dome are targeted to be put up on June 16th if the weather permits.

May 27, 2005 01:38PM
Yosemite National Park News Release

May 25, 2005
For Immediate Release

Installation of Half Dome Trail Cables Announced

The cables providing access to hikers to the summit of Half Dome will be in place on June 16, 2005, weather permitting.

The winter snow pack of recent years has been light enough to allow Yosemite National Park crews to put up the cables around Memorial Day. However, an unusually heavy snowpack and unsettled spring weather have delayed the trail crews' ability to put the cables up on the Half Dome Trail this year.

The trail to the summit of Half Dome is one of the most popular hikes in the park, in part because of the challenge that the final ascent provides as well as the outstanding scenery. A series of metal cables are placed along the steep shoulder of the dome to assist hikers to the summit.

The Half Dome hike is a round-trip hike of 17 miles and is considered extremely strenuous due the gain of almost 4,800 feet of elevation. Visitors are advised to take appropriate precautions when attempting a hike of this length and difficulty, and to be prepared for changing weather and trail conditions.

Hikers should also be aware that during this summer access to summit of Half Dome will be restricted due to trail repairs on the shoulder portion of the dome from July 6th through October 4, 2005. The trail will be closed Monday through Thursday from 7:30am to 4:00pm. The trail will be open outside of these hours. Visitors are reminded that no overnight camping is permitted on top of Half Dome.

Please call 209/372-0200 for more information on trail conditions.

-NPS-

May 28, 2005 01:38PM

Any chance the cables could be up by June 11th? I know it says 16th. But is it the earliest they will even try to put them up? We have planned to trip for Jun 11th weekend. Is it possible that i the weather is reasonably warm, cables will be put up?

Thanks,
Raghu.
May 28, 2005 02:12PM
I suppose it is always possible.

May 28, 2005 02:16PM

I mean do you remember in your experience? We will probably go even if there is 40-50% chance.

thanks,
Raghu.
May 28, 2005 02:21PM
I don't think the chance is that good.

May 28, 2005 07:06PM
The cables are in place, draped against the rock and secure. They simply are not raised to handrail height yet because the uprights haven't been placed. Thus they are 'down' and not 'up'. They are usable, but a bit fatiguing. I just used them to go to the top on 5/26. About a dozen others did as well. Snow is melting rapidly, too. There was some on the stairs as well as the trail leading up, but it wasn't a problem. Go to Half Dome on 6/11, regardless. If the cables aren't 'up' use them anyway, just rest along the way. There are small ledges to rest on. It is worth is, trust me.

Bill

ps. anyone know how to post pictures?

May 28, 2005 09:00PM
ShadowDoc wrote:

> ps. anyone know how to post pictures?

Take a look at http://yosemitenews.info/forum/docs/usage.txt

May 29, 2005 07:28PM

Thanks Bill and Eek.

If you can post photos that will be nice. I think I will be able to go up since I have done before (with cables up). Most of the people in our group (12) are going up first time, it will be better to set their expections correctly.

Raghu.
May 30, 2005 05:57AM
I hiked it on the 25th and had no problems. Go for sure. I'll also post some pictures tomorrow
May 31, 2005 04:02AM
I went up with two friends on 5/25. The problem wasn't the cables, it was the stairs. The stairs were partially covered in snow making it a difficult climb. I and one friend backed off two thirds of the way up the stairs. The other made it. I talked to a number of people who made it that day.

The snow on the stairs shouldn't be a problem by June 11 if the temperatures continue to stay high.
May 31, 2005 04:06AM
Dave,

I hope Brad and I didn't slow you down two much. Send me a picture or two when you get a chance at jkkell@kurtsalmon.com. I just got back and this is my first chance to post. It was a great hike even though Brad and I didn't make it all the way to the top. That pizza sure tasted good.

Kevin
June 01, 2005 06:36AM
Hey Kevin,
No worries. You weren't slowing me down. It was just that my knee was hurting from doing the yosemite falls hike the day before, and I knew if I didn't keep moving I was going to be in trouble. I'll send you some pictures soon.
June 02, 2005 06:12AM
Here are some pics
Half Dome Trip

June 03, 2005 01:55PM

Thanks for photos. We had decided to stick with our plan to hike on 11th and now the cables are supposed to be up by 10th according to latest official estimate. cool.
June 06, 2005 08:32AM
Great pics man. Wish we had made the cable. I think I can see the snowbank we stopped at in the background of a couple of shots. I love the pics of the mist trail.
June 17, 2005 10:53AM
The Half Dome cables are up.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login