Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (72% of Full)

Advanced

Re: generators

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

generators
March 15, 2009 02:10PM
I reserved north pines site 506. In the description it says, among other things, close to generator. I have a few questions. What purpose does the generator serve? Is it running a lot and will it ruin my camping trip. Also since this campground has no hook ups, can rver's use the generator to charge batteries. PLEASE help.

Thanks Kent
March 15, 2009 03:11PM
That site is probably near one of the campsites used by volunteers. Here's the rule about using a generator:

Quiet hours are from 10 pm to 6 am; generators may be used sparingly during daylight hours.

Re: generators
March 15, 2009 04:13PM
There are no hookups in the valley campgrounds.

I remember a building back in that corner of the campground...it's actually in a pretty nice location as I remember. What it's used for, I don't know, but maybe just emergencies. There's electrical power for the restrooms and kiosk, and I'm sure that's not generator-powered, so probably you have nothing to worry about.

I've always hated the way they say "may be used sparingly" as some don't seem to know the meaning of the word. Or they confuse it with "relentlessly" 8^).

Most of the RVers are pretty considerate; I've had quite a few come over and ask (during daylight hours when they didn't have to) if I minded if they fire up the generator for whatever...charging, cooking, etc., and usually they shut it right off, and I'm always happy to say it's fine with me and thanks for asking. Mostly those seem to be the folks that go to the valley fairly often, and are aware that generators can be really annoying if overused. Just good neighbors.

Then there are the ones who start it up at 6-7AM for heat, and "charge the batteries" until 10 or so. Then in mid-afternoon it goes on and in some cases I've had to go over at 11 and ask them to shut it off. Even when they're quiet ones, it's enough to mask the great sounds in the valley at night, and tents are not sound insulators in the least.

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login