Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (62% of Full)

Advanced

Re: What I don't want to see on the Merced

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar What I don't want to see on the Merced
October 05, 2014 01:25PM
October 06, 2014 12:20PM
Can't agree, as 'Balloon Pop' is not available on *indows 7! Sharpen those hiking poles and get stuck in.bear trap
October 06, 2014 03:24PM
None of us want to see it but on some summer weekends it looks almost this bad and may well continue since
the concessionaire continues to rent rafts.
October 06, 2014 07:50PM
yosemitedawn
None of us want to see it but ...may well continue since

With all due respect I disagree. Public opinion also disagrees - an uproar raged when the Merced River plan/ YNP/ Delaware North tried to stop the renting of rafts and bicycles at Curry Village last year. Curry halts its raft rentals when the river gets too low but even then, personal devices are still allowed...is there a specific limit on how many? I admit being one who would feel cheated if there were no more summer raft floating down the Merced - in the Valley. BTW, Who would decide how many is over your limit?

Additionally, as I read it, the Wilderness Act seems to allow unrestricted (read kayaks and ?) access to all NP wild rivers...not just in the Valley...specifically the Merced and Tuolumne runs. Thus, as it now stands, what is pictured is still legal. Agree that it looks like chit but nevertheless - allowed.

When I first saw the picture I thought it a new summer campsite, replacing the current one in LYV...gets that crowded there too.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2014 04:55PM by markskor.
avatar Re: What I don't want to see on the Merced
October 08, 2014 07:10AM
markskor
yosemitedawn
None of us want to see it but ...may well continue since

With all due respect I disagree. Public opinion also disagrees - an uproar raged when the Merced River plan/ YNP/ Delaware North tried to stop the renting of rafts and bicycles at Curry Village last year. Curry halts its raft rentals when the river gets too low but even then, personal devices are still allowed...is there a specific limit on how many? I admit being one who would feel cheated if there were no more summer raft floating down the Merced - in the Valley. BTW, Who would decide how many is over your limit?

Additionally, as I read it, the Wilderness Act seems to allow unrestricted (read kayaks and ?) access to all NP wild rivers...not just in the Valley...specifically the Merced and Tuolumne runs. Thus, as it now stands, what is pictured is still legal. Agree that it looks like chit but nevertheless - allowed.

When I first saw the picture I thought it a new summer campsite, replacing the current one in LYV...gets that crowded there too.

Mark,
Just because the general public agrees and it's allowed does not make it appropriate for the park. As for Delaware North, their only apparent responsibility is to make a profit. A scene like that shown would qualify as loving the park to death. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but this is a continuation of the age old contest between public access and park preservation. Sort of like arguing religion!eye rolling smiley
Jim
avatar Re: What I don't want to see on the Merced
October 07, 2014 06:21PM
That can't happen. Not enough water.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login