Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Full

Advanced

National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2015

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

National Defense Authorization Act
December 06, 2014 06:12AM
I just read about this bill. I haven't been able to find what else is in it (although the name implies that the combination of provisions is more related to political wrangling rather than logic). On the surface, it sounds good for the NPS but I'm not sure. From the perspective of many of us on this list, the 6 new NPS "units" to be added seem more focussed on historical sites rather than wilderness locations so, at least for me, that makes it a bit less attention-grabbing (not to mention that something like a Manhattan Project Historical Site is likely to spark lots of political wrangling on its own). The article in the link above also mentions that the bill "includes provisions that could harm our natural resources." I don't know what those provisions are (although at least one of them seems to apply to "mineral rights" in the site area(s). The bill hasn't gone through the Senate yet so it could be radically altered by the time it's signed but it seems of some interest even in its current form.

Anybody know anything more about this?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2014 05:26PM by DavidK42.
avatar National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2015
December 08, 2014 12:54PM
On December 4th, the House passed by a vote of 300-119 H.R. 3979, the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2015. The bill includes a number of provisions related to the National Park Service. Among the major NPS-related provisions are the following:
  • Authorization of the issuance of commemorative coins in 2016 to honor the NPS Centennial;
  • Establishment of, or authorization to establish, seven new national park units: Blackstone River Valley National Historical Park (RI/MA), Tule Springs National Monument (NV), Valles Caldera National Preserve (NM), World War I Memorial (redesignation of Pershing Park, DC), Coltsville National Historical Park (CT), Harriet Tubman National Historical Park (NY), and Manhattan Project National Historical Park (WA/NM/TN);
  • Boundary adjustments of nine units, and redesignation of two of those units;
  • Extension of authorization of the American Battlefield Protection Program through 2021 and inclusion of Revolutionary War and War of 1812 sites for the first time;
  • Extension of authorization for funding for 15 national heritage areas until 2021;
  • Designation of the River Styx (OR) and the Mississiquoi and Trout Rivers (VT) as Wild and Scenic Rivers and extension of the designation of White Clay Creek Wild and Scenic River (DE/PA);
  • Authority to conduct studies for seven potential new park areas, four new Wild and Scenic Rivers, and ways to commemorate and interpret the role of the Buffalo Soldiers in the National Parks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login