Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: Aphids

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

March 26, 2009 11:21PM
March 26, 2009 11:25PM
eeeek:
As long as were on insects:

great shot of the food chain in action: the lady bug larvae( I believe; a bit blurry and sizing is confusing thisclose) in the middle rt stem is taking in some breakfast

B
March 26, 2009 11:28PM
And on the same shoot:

March 26, 2009 11:36PM
Maybe you forgot the
March 26, 2009 11:37PM
Bee wrote:

> Maybe you forgot the
March 26, 2009 11:43PM
Eeeeek: And on the same shoot

A "ladybug ball"?

My turn! I think there might be an aphid somewhere in this picture..winking smiley

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
March 26, 2009 11:48PM
Speaking of bees: there was (what killed it?) a bee hive in this little cave:

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/misc/sh-dscn0703.jpg.html

March 26, 2009 11:54PM
eeeek: (what killed it?)

there is a terrible blight that is taking place within the bee colonies; they are disappearing at a phenominal rate. Also, speaking of *bats and bees* there is a white mouth fungus that is wiping out the bat colonies on the east coast. last time I was there, I visited Cornell U and read up on it a bit..so sad sad smiley

B
March 27, 2009 12:01AM
Bee wrote:

> there is a terrible blight that is taking place within the bee
> colonies; they are disappearing at a phenominal rate.

I know all about Coloney Collapse Disorder; I was going to get into bee keeping but found out $2000 dollars in E.R. expenses later that I have an allergy.

> Also,
> speaking of *bats and bees* there is a white mouth fungus that
> is wiping out the bat colonies on the east coast. last time I
> was there, I visited Cornell U and read up on it a bit..so sad
> sad smiley

There is some hope:

http://podcastdownload.npr.org/anon.npr-podcasts/podcast/510221/101570031/npr_101570031.mp3

March 27, 2009 12:10AM
eeeek: >I know all about Coloney Collapse Disorder; I was going to get into bee keeping but found out $2000 dollars in E.R. expenses later that I have an allergy.<

Better living thru Atropine (in Isreal I was stung on neck, throat swell = Atropine was my friend) (we had Atropine for anti-chemical warfare, but it works for other poisons, too)

B
March 27, 2009 12:12AM
Bee wrote:

> Better living thru Atropine (in Isreal I was stung on neck,
> throat swell = Atropine was my friend) (we had Atropine for
> anti-chemical warfare, but it works for other poisons, too)

I had to go for epinephrine. Anaphylaxis is not fun. Bun on the positive side I did find out my heart could do a pulse rate of 219 without a problem.

March 27, 2009 12:18AM
eeeeek: I had to go for epinephrine. Anaphylaxis is not fun. Bun on the positive side I did find out my heart could do a pulse rate of 219 without a problem.

Just looked up Atropine -- may not have been that (however, I was not in the mode to know for sure) Big difference between a swelling problem and a full out Anaphlaxtic shock...carry syringe? No paranoia for hiking?

B
March 27, 2009 12:23AM
I don't have an Epipen at this time and I'm not at all paranoid. I still like bees; I'm just not going to try capturing a swarm again. It wasn't just one sting that set me off--I had twenty or more stings. They didn't bother me until my heart went crazy and I started flushing.

March 27, 2009 12:35AM
My wife and I used to keep honeybees when we lived in Maine. Got stung frequently because we moved them 4 times every spring/summer for blueberry crop pollination. No matter how well we gowned up, often one would find a way under a bonnet or leg cuff and sting. When they do that they let out pheromes (sp?) that are like a bugel call. Next thing you know there are 15-20 trying to get in at the same spot.

My wife did not know she was allergic until she got it on the neck one day while working the bees alone at a remote location. She had the epeneprine kit and took the pills but not the syringe (too sqeemish). By the time she got herself to the ER she had the hives head to toe and was having trouble breathing. Doctors gave her hell for not using the syringe!

We could never relate to folks who work honeybees with no protection whatsoever. Don't know what their secret is.

Jim
March 27, 2009 12:42AM
>We could never relate to folks who work honeybees with no protection
>whatsoever.

I've worked hives without gloves and didn't mind that. It's the head that you want to protect.

March 27, 2009 12:27AM
EEEEK: It wasn't just one sting that set me off--I had twenty or more stings.

what a h-el of a why to find out that you are allergic!! I remember a searing white hot pain followed by days of a crazed itching worse than any pain...

(I am quite partial to bees myself)

B
March 27, 2009 12:30AM
I never had a problem before then and I had had plenty of stings. You jsut never know.

March 27, 2009 12:35AM
eeeek> I never had a problem before then and I had had plenty of stings<

Could have been just the concentrated amount. Good for you to not feel restraint in outdoor activities. I had a couple of seizures as a young'un but I dont even think about it now

B
March 27, 2009 12:44AM
I suspect getting one sting won't be an issue for me. I just don't know for sure and because of that I'm not going to get into bees like I wanted to.

March 27, 2009 12:46AM
eeeeek: I've worked hives without gloves and didn't mind that.

did the bees not sting the hands?! Is there any such things as building tolerance?

BTW, did yer docs suggest you carry a kit?

B
March 27, 2009 12:50AM
Bee wrote:

> did the bees not sting the hands?!

Nope.

> Is there any such things as building tolerance?

There is.

> BTW, did yer docs suggest you carry a kit?

Yes. But I only saw the ER doctor since I was uninsured at the time.

March 27, 2009 12:55AM
eeeek: Yes. But I only saw the ER doctor since I was uninsured at the time.

yeah, know how that goes...I paid for my dog to be healthy and if I had any left over...! Not to sound like a nag...maybe you might get the syringe?

B
March 27, 2009 01:00AM
I'll get one someday. Right now I'm part of the bad economy.

March 27, 2009 01:05AM
eeeek: Right now I'm part of the bad economy.

"collections are us (or else I starve)" should be my new company name....I digress sad smiley .... do think about the syringe (I keep thinking about a scene from a movie called "My Girl" where this kid gets stung, etc...) At least you would have a rational explanation for any animosity towards bees...My thing with spiders defies logic

B
March 27, 2009 01:06AM
The price of an Epipen isn't so bad (about $60 last time I checked). But getting an Rx on top of that...

March 27, 2009 01:11AM
eeeek: But getting an Rx on top of that...

ho domenticato! (I forget) I am lucky in that one of my best buddies is an MD, so I can bypass that aspect...besides, if i get sick, all the improvements on his property stop winking smiley

B
March 27, 2009 01:14AM
My grandfather was an MD. But now that he's gone I have to get used to actually paying. Sigh.

March 27, 2009 01:17AM
eeeek: I have to get used to actually paying

yeah, it REALLY hurts. i am self-employed, and my boss is such a gd tightwad that she doesnt provide the employees with ANY benifits...gonna take her to court some daywinking smiley

B
March 27, 2009 01:21AM
>i am self-employed

I am too; In many ways it really sucks.

>gonna take her to court some day

Sounds like you are really an employee but on a 1099. That isn't legal.

March 27, 2009 01:27AM
eeeek: >Sounds like you are really an employee but on a 1099. That isn't legal.<

I have a stack of 1099's here -- 20 of them to be exact. I am considered an "independent contractor". The "she" whom I was referring to was....me smiling smiley

B
March 27, 2009 01:28AM
Ah, that makes more sense.

March 27, 2009 01:38AM
OV! Its 1:30am, I have sat here for 8 hours and felt no inspiration for work and all I want to do is go to Yosemite! Supposta get up at 5:30am, but that means I have to go to bed first??

To all and one, I must bid a farewell....winking smiley

B
March 27, 2009 01:39AM
I'm leaving for Yosemite on Sunday. So there!

March 27, 2009 01:42AM
eeeeek: I'm leaving for Yosemite on Sunday. So there!

OUCH!!!! My pain!! My jealousy!!!!

Bring back pix, please.

B
March 27, 2009 01:46AM
Oh, I'll bring back pictures. I'm taking the big camera (4x5) as well as the digital. Might re-do some of the campsite photos as well; the Nikon does a lot better job than my old Olympus did.

March 27, 2009 03:31AM
Road Kill Aphids (near Upper Pines cgr)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login