All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Anybody know what this flower is?
March 26, 2009 11:39PM
avatar Re: Anybody know what this flower is?
March 26, 2009 11:50PM
Or this one:

March 27, 2009 12:00AM
eeeeek: Or this one:

this one looks like it is in the Hollyhock family -- where the leaves large and roundish with a slight fuzzy texture?

B
March 27, 2009 12:02AM
Bee wrote:

> leaves large and roundish with a slight fuzzy texture?

Sigh. I was last spring and I don't remember. I'll try to look again next month.

March 27, 2009 12:05AM
eeeek: Sigh. I was last spring and I don't remember. I'll try to look again next month.

do you haver another pic that shows the top of the flower stalk (Im supposed to know this #%@^ -- I have a degree in horticulture!)

B
March 27, 2009 12:11AM
Bee wrote:

> do you haver another pic that shows the top of the flower stalk
> (Im supposed to know this #%@^ -- I have a degree in
> horticulture!)

No, I only took the one and did't think to get enough to follow a key. I wish I was still in tough with Charlotte Clarke. But it's been way too long since I hiked with her.

March 27, 2009 12:14AM
eeeek: I wish I was still in tough with Charlotte Clarke. But it's been way too long since I hiked with her.

hardly anyone disappears these days; I find peeps all the time thru Yahoo People et al..and I have found that outdoor folks can go long times and re-connect.

B
March 27, 2009 12:15AM
There is that. But being quite shy I find going after old friends to be a bit hard.

March 27, 2009 12:25AM
eeeek: But being quite shy I find going after old friends to be a bit hard.

Hummmm..I am usually overcome by GUILT for not keeping in touch...

(I would never be accused of being shy smiling smiley

B
March 27, 2009 12:29AM
I did recent get back in touch with Mike Hingston. He was a friend when I was in college and even signed my long dead wedding license. I always knew he was something special but was shocked one day when I Googled his name:

http://www.abilities.ca/travel/2004/04/15/our_best_weapon/

March 27, 2009 12:33AM
eeeeek: I always knew he was something special but was shocked one day when I Googled his name:

WOW...that story stopped me in my tracks! If you know him, it would have a physical effect to read such an account...wow....personally, I love knowing that I can find people..

B
March 27, 2009 12:39AM
I was shocked when I found out he was there on 9/11. But I wasn't surprised by what he did; I always knew Mike was a surviver. Some people do the poor me thing with their disability, but Mike was (still is) the type that did what ever he had to do and did it well. Blindness never stopped him (he even drove his car once).

March 27, 2009 12:44AM
eeeek: Some people do the poor me thing with their disability, but Mike was (still is) the type that did what ever he had to do and did it well.

I just cannot imagine the presence of mind! I out of the country at the time, and I had a chance to see people in all phases of panic (I was stuck at the airport for DAYS) He must be a special individual; a man with a certain inner calm.

B
March 27, 2009 12:49AM
I'm not sure how calm he is. But Mike does what he has to do. When I first got to know him he was a grad student in physics (I was an undergrad in the same department). He ended up failing his orals because the faculty couldn't see how a blind man could do physics (I still want to kick ass over that) and they had accused him of cheating on his writtens. He never let that hold him back.

March 27, 2009 12:51AM
Eeeeek: He ended up failing his orals because the faculty couldn't see how a blind man could do physics

OUTRAGE...and Steven Hawking is a failure, too! And Heinlein! (they werent blind, but they all had outward disabilities) Is he a working Physicist, now?

B
March 27, 2009 12:54AM
Bee wrote:

> Is he a working Physicist, now?

No, he ended up working for the National Fedoration of the Blind, These days he's out on his own giving talks.

March 27, 2009 12:56AM
eeeeek: These days he's out on his own giving talks.

the ULTIMATE inspirational speaker on many levels. did/does he hike?

B
March 27, 2009 12:58AM
Bee wrote:

> did/does he hike?

I never saw him hike. But it wouldn't surprise me at all.

March 27, 2009 01:01AM
eeeek: I never saw him hike. But it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Really, after what he came thru, a "hike" would be a....a.....walk in the park!

B
March 27, 2009 01:03AM
Bee wrote:

>Really, after what he came thru, a "hike" would be
> a....a.....walk in the park!

You've never done Half Dome? winking smiley

March 27, 2009 01:08AM
eeeek: You've never done Half Dome? winking smiley

touche`!

half dome in a day: one of the only times in my life I cried simply because I was dog tired..

B
March 27, 2009 01:10AM
I've always done it as part of a backpack. And I like it that way!

March 27, 2009 01:14AM
eeek: I've always done it as part of a backpack. And I like it that way!

It was a VERY BAD decision on my part; always trying to take in life in huge bites. i cant imagine how much more fun it would be to do it in a more leisurely way. i have the same problem about doing whitney in a day: i have been known to get severe altitude sickness, so I am uneasy about packing overnight at altitude...might have to do MR in a day...sigh.

B
March 27, 2009 01:20AM
The first time I was the leader of a backpacking group in Yosemite I ended up with altitude sickness the first day. This stuff works wonders. I just wish I'd figured out that I needed some sooner. The next year I had a woman get sick on the first day and I made her drink a liter of it. She was fine in 30 minutes!

March 27, 2009 08:38AM
eeek wrote:

> The first time I was the leader of a backpacking group in
> Yosemite I ended up with altitude sickness the first day.
> This stuff
> works wonders. I just wish I'd figured out that I needed some
> sooner. The next year I had a woman get sick on the first day
> and I made her drink a liter of it. She was fine in 30
> minutes!
>

Is this an alternative to Gatorade?
Acute mountain sickness seems worse in those who have a dispositon to migraine headaches. Some evidence that migraine treatments help.
Many factors involved: hyperventilation, low blood oxygen, cerebral blood vessel constriction/dilation. Strange that it would still be a problem not fully understood.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
March 27, 2009 01:47PM
Frank Furter wrote:

> Is this an alternative to Gatorade?

It's in that class but is much better than Gatorade.

March 27, 2009 01:23AM
eeeek: This stuff works wonders. I just wish I'd figured out that I needed some sooner.

yer holding out: WHAT stuff??? gawd, if there is some wonder lixer out there, I need to know. when I overnighted at 10,000 feet, I started hallucinating, migrane, nausea -- you name it!

B
March 27, 2009 01:24AM
Holding out? There wasn't a link?

March 27, 2009 01:25AM
Ok, mea culpa. I fixed the link markup.

March 27, 2009 01:31AM
EEEEk: I fixed the link markup.

Just ordered some from Amazon...wow....nothing else has worked so far (I have tried massive hydration which only added to the, um, discomfort of the situation)

B
March 27, 2009 01:34AM
I just wish I'd had a cure for the woman with new boots on that second trip. It was a five day trip and she was hurting on day one. She also ended up as the only one that didn't do Half Dome; bad for her but it was nice to have someone watch the packs that day.

March 27, 2009 01:41AM
eeeek: I just wish I'd had a cure for the woman with new boots on that second trip. It was a five day trip and she was hurting on day one

my BIG sympathies for that poor soul; i have a AAA Narrow foot and sometimes it does not work out at all (I use combat boots for crying out loud)

>bad for her but it was nice to have someone watch the packs that day.<

smiling smiley....always a problem when hiking/packing alone!

B
March 27, 2009 01:48AM
Bee wrote:

> smiling smiley....always a problem when hiking/packing alone!

Doing groups for the Sierra Club was nice while it lasted. But eventually the group politics (not environmental politics) did me in and I quit. Why do people get jealous of someone that is putting in enormous hours for no pay?

March 27, 2009 02:44AM
Eeeek:Why do people get jealous of someone that is putting in enormous hours for no pay?

(a creative impulse and Im up again!)

Jealousy: knows no boundaries. Period. It is the single most ugly component of the bag of tricks that we humans call emotions. People will kill for a lesser reason in jealousy than they will for hate.

B
March 27, 2009 03:05AM
Bee wrote:

> Jealousy: knows no boundaries. Period. It is the single most
> ugly component of the bag of tricks that we humans call
> emotions. People will kill for a lesser reason in jealousy than
> they will for hate.

I had a bad bout of jealousy in college once. Afterwards I decided to make an effort to avoid that emotion; it hurts too much to be allowed its reign. It's not always easy, but I try.

March 27, 2009 10:11PM
OK 'xperts, What Is It?

Taken on the Meysan Lake trail at Whitney Portal on 8/26/03

March 27, 2009 10:21PM
P.S. see you at Daffodil Hill 3/28/09 around 2 p.m. or so

I'll be the guy wearing the Yosemite cap
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login