Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (80% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Next hiking movie

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Next hiking movie
August 02, 2015 04:49PM
Hollywood's next hiking movie is coming out around Labor Day -- A Walk In The Woods -- starring 78-year-old Robert Redford and Nick Nolte. (Saw the trailer this weekend.)
August 02, 2015 05:35PM
One of my favorite Bill Bryson books...hope the movie does it justice!
August 02, 2015 07:13PM
KenS
Hollywood's next hiking movie is coming out around Labor Day -- A Walk In The Woods -- starring 78-year-old Robert Redford and Nick Nolte. (Saw the trailer this weekend.)

Fortunately for West Coast hikers (and to the bane of East Coast hikers), the movie takes place along the Appalachian Trail.

(The JMT and PCT have seen a significant increase in the number of hikers recently, thanks to the release of two movies: "Mile... Mile & a Half" (a documentary), and more significantly, "Wild" starring Reese Witherspoon.)

August 23, 2015 10:35AM
Another take on Bryson's book:

August 21, 2015
Why the Most Popular Hiking Memoirs Don’t Go the Distance
By Robert Moor

When I was eighteen, I bought a copy of Bill Bryson’s “A Walk in the Woods,” which remains, if my conversations with strangers are any indication, the only book anyone has ever read about the Appalachian Trail.

http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/why-the-most-popular-hiking-memoirs-dont-go-the-distance?intcid=mod-latest
August 24, 2015 02:40PM
A really good article. And I agree. Bryson hiked ON the trail, he didn't Hike the AT>

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
August 26, 2015 08:38PM
I think by far Bryson's book was the funniest hiking story ever. I read it in 1996 while on a camping trip and laughed out loud the whole time. Who cares if he "hiked" the trail. It was a great story and funny as hell. He never claimed to be a purist or in shape and the only guy he could find to go with him was a drunk out of shape friend. I loved the part where the woman wouldn't leave them alone and they kept trying to ditch her. I have experienced that many times on long trips. Last year while doing the JMT me and my daughter kept having to eat lunch well off the trail and hiding behind trees to avoid an especially annoying hiker. Just when we thought we lost him he would come wandering into camp even after we'd put in 18 mile days trying to lose him. He was fat and annoying but damn he could hike! He should do SAR work because he found us everyday for about a week. We finally lost him after he took a zero day at our urging. It's the crazy characters that make these long hikes fun. These trails are barely a wilderness experience with the hoards out there now but it leaves the pristine areas uncrowded. Too much life checklist moments going on these days.

Who wants to read a hiking book about an experienced hiker. Nothing exciting ever happens:

Day 23 - My solar charger acted up today and I couldn't charge my I-phone. Luckily my Kindle is awesome on batteries and I was able to read another chapter of "A Walk in the Woods."

Day 25 - I lanced a blister and disinfected it at the shelter. I was able to pick up a new ultralight tarp at 3 Eagles Outfitters in Franklin North Carolina and I was able to lower my base weight by 3 oz.. I camped with the Osprey reps again and we talked late into the night about internal frame harness systems. I'm thinking about picking up an Exos at my next resupply to lower my base weight another 2 oz.

Day 60 - Just spent 2 days at trail days. It was kind of a bummer because the craft beer selection was pathetic but I was able to score weed very easily. No one seems to be using the showers that are available here. I'm having trouble telling if I'm meeting white Rastas on the trail or if they just look that way from lack of hair washing. It's all good Mon!

I am definitely going to see the movie. Nick Nolte will make a perfect Stephen Katz.
August 26, 2015 09:12PM
Apeguy...

Bowing to his greatness

Bingo bongo. Dang you hit the proverbial nail on z head in my world.

I absolutely loved the book! I am gonna read it again soon. It was so fun.
It was an adventure. That is what life is about, no?

Peeps ask me what interesting stuff has happened to me out there...
well... since m prepared... sorry... it's very boring... plus... Yosemite is
only 1 star on Yelp... so how more boring can it get.
(btw... most of the interesting stories are about an Old Guy ...
"nope... I don't need a tent... it's not gonna snow" ... etc)

Have FUN!

Chick-on is looking at you!
August 28, 2015 05:13PM
chick-on

Peeps ask me what interesting stuff has happened to me out there...
well... since m prepared... sorry... it's very boring...

Nothing interesting...hmmmm.

My Chick-on movie would start with a tent at night with the glow of moonlight and the muffled sound of laughter...but as you zoom in you realize that's not the glow of the moon...it's a little glowing rectangle in the tent and your hero is watching episode 183 of Impracticle Jokers"

Other scenes would include a bear munching on said screen and wife's sleeping pad in Muir Gorge, out hero playing hockey on a frozen Tenaya Lake, Tantrum #58, and lots of boating fun. Plus maybe one of your sidekicks taking one of your suggested walks around the lake...nuf said! Making a good Chick-on movie...looks easy from here!

All good stuff. Definitely not boring. And that's the tip of the proverbial iceberg!
August 30, 2015 11:36PM
any movie which robert redford is acting must be an amazing film.......
September 04, 2015 04:44PM
Meru is a great documentary that is in theaters now. It is not about hiking, but is a great mountain climbing doc.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login